what do you think of this 3D trend

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonny88

Super Freak
Reaction score
first off in case you do not know, l hate 3D. l do not see the point off it. l think its fine to mabey have a couple cool movies a year in 3D in the theaters like Avatar or something. but now like 6 out of 10 movies coming out are in 3D.what really gets me mad is this 3D tv. companies actually think we want this crap in are house. not to mention you need the glasses to watch and most people who are watching tv are multitasking. watching and reading a magazine, eating, doing laundry, on the laptop or talking with family. if you have a 3D tv you cant do that l wouldnt think. then if other people in the room look at the tv with out the glasses its all distorted. this home 3D is stupid and companies are trying to do everything to get us into it. 3D tvs, 3D blue ray dvd players. and soon there will be 3D video games. are brains and eyes will be fried after a few years off all this crap if we all got into it. l wish this 3D trend would go away. what do you guys think. this is my rant for the night.

Last edited:
If it's filmed with a 3D camera, awesome. Sign me up. If it's converted, but it took a year to do...yes, i'm down.

If you converted it at the last minute, go to hell and die.

first off in case you do not know, l hate 3D. l do not see the point off it. l think its fine to mabey have a couple cool movies a year in 3D in the theaters like Avatar or something. but now like 6 out of 10 movies coming out are in 3D.what really gets me mad is this 3D tv. companies actually think we want this crap in are house. not to mention you need the glasses to watch and most people who are watching tv are multitasking. watching and reading a magazine, eating, doing laundry, on the lab top or talking with family. if you have a 3D tv you cant do that l wouldnt think. then if other people in the room look at the tv with out the glasses its all distorted. this home 3D is stupid and companies are trying to do everything to get us into it. 3D tvs, 3D blue ray dvd players. and soon there will be 3D video games. are brains and eyes will be fried after a few years off all this crap if we all got into it. l wish this 3D trend would go away. what do you guys think. this is my rant for the night.

:goodpost: I agree with a fair bit that you said there!

I think 3D definitely works for certain movies, like Avatar, Toy Story 3 and Tron: Legacy (trailer looked awesome)
But, in cases where films are hastily converted... I don't like it. I remember seeing Alice In Wonderland in 3D and it sucked balls. The 3D was messy, unfocussed and just didn't help the film like it did with Avatar for example.
In my opinion 3D is just a gimmick that works for certain films, that have been developed with it from the start, but it should not be the new standard for everything.

I also share your opinion about the home theatre 3D for exactly the reasons you mentioned. The only way it will effectively work is when people have a built in hometheatre room or something where they will watch a film and just that. So they can fully concentrate on the film and the film only.
As soon as there is any kind of external diversion, the 3D will not be experienced like it does in real theatres IMO.

I seriously hope that this 3D hype for home use will die down quickly because of too little interest from the consumers. I hate to be forced to buy all this 3D stuff because it becomes the new standard and you can't watch anything anymore on a regular TV.
Like I said, 3D is just a gimmick that should only be used in certain films in the theatre.

first off in case you do not know, l hate 3D. l do not see the point off it. l think its fine to mabey have a couple cool movies a year in 3D in the theaters like Avatar or something. but now like 6 out of 10 movies coming out are in 3D.what really gets me mad is this 3D tv. companies actually think we want this crap in are house. not to mention you need the glasses to watch and most people who are watching tv are multitasking. watching and reading a magazine, eating, doing laundry, on the lab top or talking with family. if you have a 3D tv you cant do that l wouldnt think. then if other people in the room look at the tv with out the glasses its all distorted. this home 3D is stupid and companies are trying to do everything to get us into it. 3D tvs, 3D blue ray dvd players. and soon there will be 3D video games. are brains and eyes will be fried after a few years off all this crap if we all got into it. l wish this 3D trend would go away. what do you guys think. this is my rant for the night.

First, it's Laptop, and Blu-Ray

Also, there are hundreds of 3D video games out already (which some say is better than 3D movies).

I love 3D, I think it's awesome, but most movies don't need it, I think it's fine for computer-animated movies to be 3D, or visually spectacular movies to be 3D, but the other movies should stay the way they are. I don't think people see a movie just to see it in 3D, I think they look at a movie that is already amazing and think that since 3D is an option, it would be cool to watch in 3D (Avatar).

The issue is the movie studios for some reason think that people will go see a movie because it's 3D, so we're getting a lot of really crappy movies that are giving 3D a bad name.

Also, the 2D to 3D conversions aren't helping either.

I don't mind it. I'm very selective about what I'll watch in 3D. Try as they might, Hollywood and tech companies cant force it upon us. Ultimately we still have a choice between 3D and good ol' 2D.

I mean, No one is forcing a gun to your head demanding that you experience anything in 3D either in your home or at the theater.

Now if only I could turn on my tv without Justin Bieber showing up every damn time. He's everywhere. There's no choice in this.

I hate it. I will not see a film in 3D unless its Made for it like Avatar (which sucked ;) ) or is cheesy like My Bloody Valentine or Final Destination.

I will never buy a 3d tv and certainly won't see Star wars is 3D.

I have no interest in 3D. It's cool for about 10 minutes and then you just get used to it and it's worthless.

I like 3D if it's made for it, but this taking old movies and converting them to 3D, so far it hasn't worked. Star Wars is getting the 3D treatment now, and I just don't see how it will be worthwhile.

Spider-Man is getting it as well, which i could actually see being cool (web swinging etc.)

3d will be on its way out. I was also told the same thing about HD by a high-up person in the movie production industry. Of course these are only predictions, but I was told these are only transitional technologies..sort of like the laser disc of our generation.

HD a trend, huh? One day nobody will be calling things "HD" because it will just be assumed. Just as movies don't advertise that it was filmed in Technicolor or CDs don't boast "stereo-sound". Maybe thats what your person meant, but he's a fool if he meant that people will go back to sub-HD quality.

As for 3D, I don't see the point in hating on it...you can always just go see the 2D versions. As far as Star Wars goes, most of us geeks have seen it 100 times or more, its always neat to get to see it in a new way. Some of the same people complaining about SW in 3D are the people who buy every single variant of a character Hasbro produces or every single SW picture book that reprints the same photos as every other book, but just regurgitates it slightly differently. Now the source material is being reprinted in a new form and you have a problem? :rotfl

For in-theater movies I think it is cool (more the exception than the rule however).

For in-home theaters I think it is c a c a. :sancho

HD a trend, huh? One day nobody will be calling things "HD" because it will just be assumed. Just as movies don't advertise that it was filmed in Technicolor or CDs don't boast "stereo-sound". Maybe thats what your person meant, but he's a fool if he meant that people will go back to sub-HD quality.

As for 3D, I don't see the point in hating on it...you can always just go see the 2D versions. As far as Star Wars goes, most of us geeks have seen it 100 times or more, its always neat to get to see it in a new way. Some of the same people complaining about SW in 3D are the people who buy every single variant of a character Hasbro produces or every single SW picture book that reprints the same photos as every other book, but just regurgitates it slightly differently. Now the source material is being reprinted in a new form and you have a problem? :rotfl

I hear what you guys are saying, but I am just relaying what I was told. It's shocking considering its coming from a guy who's company spends on a single camera what most of us don't spend on our homes.

Its a cool option for those that enjoy it and I personally like having the option available. Star Wars in 3D excites me, because it is a new take on an old classic. Harry Potter I'd be fine with 2D or 3D. In my home, nah, don't need it.

Anyone remember awhile back when ABC gave out 3D glasses at a fast food restaurant and filmed certain scenes of their popular TV shows in 3D?

I hate 3D as well and I hope this trend will die out soon. However, if they always have a 2D showing of the same movie along with the 3D version, then fine. I'll just watch the 2D version. Unfortunately, Avatar was only in 3D in all the theaters in my area (was is ONLY released in 3D?) which took my choice away. No good.

I also think it's a little silly the whole 3D TV thing. I don't know much about the tech, but does the TV convert regular broadcasts into 3D? I can't imagine how successful that would be. And it undermines the reason theatrical movies are jumping on the 3D bandwagon: it's supposed to get people to go to the theater instead of waiting for the DVD/Blu Ray.

Personally, I feel that 3D has the opposite effect of what its intentions are. It's supposed to immerse you more into the movie, but the effect makes the whole experience MORE self-aware for me. In a regular 2D movie I can just let myself get into the movie. With 3D, the effect is constantly reminding me that I'm watching a movie.

I mentioned in the SW 3D thread that when I saw UP in 3D I was annoyed at the effect since it "forced" me to only look at the spots that were in the foreground. Any time I would try and take in the entire frame of the shot, it would mess up my eyes because of the receding effect of the background. Very annoying when I want to enjoy the entire vista of the shot.

Back