what are the pros and cons of a pittbull?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have and had Pitbulls a majority of mylife and I can say that all these idiots that are talking bad about the breed need to go to hell. I have not ever met a more loyal, kind, loving, and perfect breed of dog. I have had Pitbulls from puppies, all the way down to fighting dogs that I saved at a rescue. I have never had a problem with any of them. They are excellent around kids and are more aware of them than most adults. The biggest problem I ever had with one is the current one I have now. But it isn't even a real problem. She just growls a little bit at people that come to the house, but never has done anything more of that. She obviously was abused in some way and has a hard time trusting just anybody. She's never done anything to harm anybody and has been around multiple kids during family get togethers. She's even calmer with the kids even after they pull and tug on her tail and ears. And might I add, this is a dog that I rescued, and god knows what she all went through. They are also very good with other animals and I have never had any problems. Even my cat!
Do not listen to any of these fools about the breeds ruthless tendencies because they are all lies. Sure if you have no idea how to give love to an animal and tie him/her up all day, you might have a problem, but the dog isn't born to be bad. It's the owners. Just anything else, you take care of your animal, it will love you back unconditionally.
If you want a downside, all I can say is that they are susceptible to tumors (skin growths) and some health problems depending on where you get one. If it comes from a reputable breeder you might not have these problems. If not, you might run into them.
My last Pit only lasted 8 years and it absolutely crushed me when she died. And to this day, every single person that ever met that dog, swears that she was the kindest, nicest dog EVER! Some were non believers of the breed, but are now extremely quick to check anybody that nay says now.
Get one, and don't look back. You will have the best pet in your life. Mark my words.
No disrespect to anybody, but seriously people need to really be put in their place especially if they have no idea what they are talking about.

dogs aint the problem its the owners that are the problem its a staus thing .......everyone i know who ever had one used them as a weapon spent alot of time making them half crazy used them for dog fighting and posing.......if a dog needs to be destroyed it should be done along with its owner

I've known a lot of docile pitbulls. At no point did I forget the caliber of damage that they were capable of inflicting. For that reason alone, I will never keep one, particularly in the company of children. It's a simple matter of risk and whether you are willing to take it. The sweetest animal in the world can feel threatened, but few of them can inflict harm the way a pitbull can.
Few of them can? Few animals in the world can inflict harm as severe as a pittbull? Animals? Do you mean just dogs? Because I gaurantee you any large exotic cat can cause more damage to a child than a sweet little pittbull.

Let's say you meant dogs alone.. Malamute, German Shepherd, Great Pyrenees, Great Dane, Rottweiler, Saint Bernard, Siberian Husky, Standard Poodle, Giant Schnauzer, Doberman, Dalmatian, Bullmastiff..I would much rather have a Pittbull chasing me than one of these.

Few of them can? Few animals in the world can inflict harm as severe as a pittbull? Animals? Do you mean just dogs? Because I gaurantee you any large exotic cat can cause more damage to a child than a sweet little pittbull.

Let's say you meant dogs alone.. Malamute, German Shepherd, Great Pyrenees, Great Dane, Rottweiler, Saint Bernard, Siberian Husky, Standard Poodle, Giant Schnauzer, Doberman, Dalmatian, Bullmastiff..I would much rather have a Pittbull chasing me than one of these.

Saint benard's never attack people, and a poodle? Not to mention the other bad choices. Do you even know anything about dogs? I'm not trying to start a fight here but given what you said I really do not think you do.

Just get a Golden Retriever... wait, Quiggle are you even qualified to take care of a pet? Can you even take care of yourself? :lol

I know a gal that has two pitbulls and they are the sweetest dogs ever. They are gentle around kids and smaller dogs. They were known in history for the loyalty and gentleness towards humans but were often used for baiting and tracking/hunting other animals.

BUT - she got them as babies and trained them right. Too many people train these dogs to be attack dogs and then they can be very dangerous. I would be skeptical getting one that is older - you don't know what kind of training his previous owner may have given him.

Saint benard's never attack people, and a poodle? Not to mention the other bad choices. Do you even know anything about dogs? I'm not trying to start a fight here but given what you said I really do not think you do.
I know Saint Bernards are very docile (like pretty much any other dog out there)..did you even bother reading my post, and the one I was replying too? Obviously not. You missed the point entirely.

I wasn't talking about behaviour, I was talking about the ammount of damage they can cause.. Somthing as big as a Great Dane is going to do much more damage than a Pittbull. But both are never going to hurt you without good reason if they've come from good families and were never abused.

Also, the "pitt's aren't really good with other animals they do not know" comment is pretty stupid. Once again, I owned a Pittbull when I was very young, he would try to play with every dog in the neighborhood when I would walk him. We had to get rid of him because he chewed up a cord that could have burned the house down or somthing..so we gave him to this Pittbull farm, and he got along fine with SEVERAL other Pittbulls and Pittbull mixes that he had NEVER been around before.

They are just like any other dog..treat them right and they won't be aggressive.

@Jen

Yep, it's all about the person who owns them. My uncle had a Pittbull mix, and he would hit him everytime he did somthing my uncle didn't like. He used to be such a sweet dog, but my uncle turned him into a monster and had to get rid of him. And of course, my dumbass uncle just thought he was "disciplining him"..jackass. This can happen with ANY dog. Not just Pittbulls.

Don't hit the dog, and it won't bite you.

A neighbor who used to live next door to me had a St. Bernard that could rip your face off and eat you whole.

I'm sure he's talking standard poodle, not a toy.

Any dog can be vicious, even a chihuahua. That's the point he's trying to make.

If you don't like pitbulls fine. I'm not a fan of the breed either but to lump them all as bad is wrong. I know too many of them that aren't.

Rottie's scare me more than pits.

I know Saint Bernards are very docile (like pretty much any other dog out there)..did you even bother reading my post, and the one I was replying too? Obviously not. You missed the point entirely.

I wasn't talking about behaviour, I was talking about the ammount of damage they can cause.. Somthing as big as a Great Dane is going to do much more damage than a Pittbull. But both are never going to hurt you without good reason if they've come from good families and were never abused.

Also, the "pitt's aren't really good with other animals they do not know" comment is pretty stupid. Once again, I owned a Pittbull when I was very young, he would try to play with every dog in the neighborhood when I would walk him. We had to get rid of him because he chewed up a cord that could have burned the house down or somthing..so we gave him to this Pittbull farm, and he got along fine with SEVERAL other Pittbulls and Pittbull mixes that he had NEVER been around before.

They are just like any other dog..treat them right and they won't be aggressive.

@Jen

Yep, it's all about the person who owns them. My uncle had a Pittbull mix, and he would hit him everytime he did somthing my uncle didn't like. He used to be such a sweet dog, but my uncle turned him into a monster and had to get rid of him. And of course, my dumbass uncle just thought he was "disciplining him"..jackass. This can happen with ANY dog. Not just Pittbulls.

Don't hit the dog, and it won't bite you.

Based of my expriences from going to dog parks pitbulls always seem to cause problems, plus they can do a lot of damage because of their strong mouths.

Really? A tiger can do more damage than a pitbull. I didn't know that professor. How can I ever repay you for showing me the light?

What about sharks? I heard a pitbull was deadlier than those too. Please teach me because at this point I'm so unfathomably dim that I may well cook and eat my own brain.

Ignoring the dogs on there that would be better classed as horses, as well as the other war dogs (akita, chow, and Australian sheep dog would be good additions to that list) no, most dogs do not have the jaw strength of a pit, nor will they attack with the same level of determination. Acknowledging all of the dogs you listed, there is still only a few that are worse or comparable.

:dunno

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove, or who you're trying to convince of what. The first line of my post was that I have known many docile pitbulls.

Last edited:
Growing up, we always had dogs. Predominantly pits and rots and not one was violent or dangerous. One of our pits even played a mother to a bunch of kittens we had. Its all in how they are raised. Just like humans, most dogs are gonna be a product of their environment.

Saying the entire pit breed is bad is like saying all Mexicans are bad. Its ignorant and shows a lack of understanding.

Bottom line, quiggle is an idiot.

Growing up, we always had dogs. Predominantly pits and rots and not one was violent or dangerous. One of our pits even played a mother to a bunch of kittens we had. Its all in how they are raised. Just like humans, most dogs are gonna be a product of their environment.

Saying the entire pit breed is bad is like saying all Mexicans are bad. Its ignorant and shows a lack of understanding.

Bottom line, quiggle is an idiot.

:exactly:

Hell i'd even go as far as saying most animals have better personalities than human beings in today's day and age.

____ it. Just get a baby dragon.

1876860_700b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back