What are some of your favourite opening scenes? and why?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All Quiet on the Western Front!
Honestly, I really didn’t love this movie in its entirety and felt like the story was incredibly predictable and in some ways contrary to the themes of the original book, but the cinematography was second to none. Very successfully showed the horrors of the great war from the perspectives of a military facing certain defeat, their front line soldiers, and even, to a point, the average citizen

Mandalorian S1 opening scene.

Because, I was Skywalkered out, SW out, and was just lazily watching because.
But the visuals, music, and sense of cold - as well as the sound of boots clomping on wood - had me sit up - this was something DIFFERENT. It was awesome.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Not just the brilliantly animated cartoon at the beginning, but the shift to reality introduces us to our two main characters in one long take. I remember everyone in the crowded theater giving a big laugh to Baby Herman's voice for the first time. Magical film.

Ashamed of all of you for not mentioning one of the greatest horror movie opening montages EVER: Dawn of the Dead 2004.

The real life footage was completely on point and then you got Johnny Cash with "The Man Comes Around" on top of that. Did not think that much of the actual movie, but the opening montage was enough.

Aaaand the whirlwind, is in the thorn treeeeee.... Oh, you betcha.

Last edited:
Touch Of Evil - the first time i really noticed a single take shot
Brilliant, one-take tracking shot, introducing the bomb, calmly traveling between it, the setting, and the main protagonists, all building incredible tension.

Also in that spirit. the single shot opening of Cuaron's; Children of Men.

Last edited:
I always loved Superman's opening. After the incredible titles with that theme, seeing Zod, Ursa and Non on trial is so great.

'Yours could be an important voice in the new order, second only to my own! I offer you a chance at greatness Jor-El! Take it! Join us!!!'

Last edited:
Star Wars (1977) - Probably the greatest opening in cinema history

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - gives even SW a run for its money

Top Gun (1986) - Talk about being thrust into the action with the fighters launching off the carrier all the way until Maverick guides Cougar back for a landing

Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991) - Endo stepping on the skull with the lasers blasting in the background, absolutely dazzling

Mad Max (1978) - The car flying through the camper was mindblowing, I'd never seen anything like it

I have to put these down as some of my favs!

Saving Private Ryan
The Dark Knight
Jaws - It's what you don't see that is horrifying. Your imagination can run wild and it's scary as hell.
Ghostbusters - As a kid, that opening scene of the ghost effects and the scream from the ghost that "scared the pants off some librarian," hooked me instantly.

Back