What are some of Hot Toys biggest flops

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the Jack Sparrow figure is quiet possible the best figure they have ever produced, from an artistic standpoint.

I guess that's how I judge a flop, not be sales. I think a flop is some figure that is uninspired artistically and just plain dull.... I guess some people really want what's hot no matter how seriously dull that character is....

Right now my leading flop is "Quicksilver" that thing is just DULL. Not to mention a tertiary character that's just not interesting. (To me) might as well make an X-men line and add in that tattooed porcupine guy..

I would have also bought the JD Ichabod Crane, but the sculpt is inferior to me.

I like the Jake figure a lot, also the Crow, and actually think the Mandarin is an excellent figure likeness. But at least in that last case , the Mandarin falls into that "not an interesting character" category.

So judging a flop?

1. Is the sculpt a good likeness?
2. Is the character done well? Good assessories and pose?
3. Is the character itself an interesting one? Worthy of HT's effort and time?
4. Is it an original idea or has it been rehashed a dozen times?

Using this logic would be like saying that Jurassic World is a flop because it wasn't as well written as previous films.

Using the aftermarket i think is the easiest and most objective method of determing a flop or success. Because ultimately if it's a good product from a good license then the aftermarket will reflect the same. Bad sculpts dont sell well and thus the price goes down. Additionally bad licenses dont sell well and their prices also go down in the aftermarket. The ultimate decision maker on whats in demand is the aftermarket.

Anything else can be subjective. Paint, sculpt, popularity, etc.

Using the aftermarket i think is the easiest and most objective method of determing a flop or success. Because ultimately if it's a good product from a good license then the aftermarket will reflect the same. Bad sculpts dont sell well and thus the price goes down. Additionally bad licenses dont sell well and their prices also go down in the aftermarket. The ultimate decision maker on whats in demand is the aftermarket.

Anything else can be subjective. Paint, sculpt, popularity, etc.

I agree to some extent. While the aftermarket can be seen as a barometer of whether or not something can ultimately be a success, it deviates too far from the initial discussion of a retail flop. I think staying with the initial principal of "what figures are a retail success or failure" is a safer bet since Hot Toys won't see any profit from aftermarket sales.

It interesting thread...

Its kind of hard to take any of these "flops" seriously, as most figures , at least on ebay that are considered "flops" are selling for a good price....maybe not the original price, some are way more , some about 35% less. (and one about 1/2 price.

Hardly giving them away...

I keep seeing how people quote certain figures as being given away for nothing......Where are you seeing this? I have not seen a HT product on ebay go for less than 100.00. (except one lone Indian brave)

The flops:
Goblin 120-180
Harvey Dent 250-499
Crow $130-180
Babydoll 219-300
Angelica 125-150.

Tonto seems the worst by this measure 55-125

Heartbreaker is a dud Iron Man armour. SSC have been discounting that one for ages trying to get rid of it. If it's still around by Spook, it will be one of the discounted items for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Harvey Dent was certainly a flop in the beginning, but after it was all sold out, the price has risen on the aftermarket.

I can see the same thing happening with Maria Hill. Once it is sold out on SSC, prices will start to rise in other places. Look at the AoU Cap. As soon as it went to waitlist on SSC, BBTS upped their prices on the figure. They ended up selling out with a price over $300. There's probably a tonne of these Cap's out there, but now you'll struggle to find one at a good price because everyone will raise it knowing it is sold out at retail price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It interesting thread...

Its kind of hard to take any of these "flops" seriously, as most figures , at least on ebay that are considered "flops" are selling for a good price....maybe not the original price, some are way more , some about 35% less. (and one about 1/2 price.

Hardly giving them away...

I keep seeing how people quote certain figures as being given away for nothing......Where are you seeing this? I have not seen a HT product on ebay go for less than 100.00. (except one lone Indian brave)

The flops:
Goblin 120-180
Harvey Dent 250-499
Crow $130-180
Babydoll 219-300
Angelica 125-150.

Tonto seems the worst by this measure 55-125

They flopped on the retail market when released. Nobody wanted them at the time. Secondary market is irrelevant

1969 Dodge Daytonas rotted on dealership lots because nobody wanted them. Today they can go for half a million. Same thing. Flopped when they were released.

They flopped on the retail market when released. Nobody wanted them at the time. Secondary market is irrelevant

1969 Dodge Daytonas rotted on dealership lots because nobody wanted them. Today they can go for half a million. Same thing. Flopped when they were released.

Ecellent!!! Replace 1969 Dodge Daytonas with Hot Toys and we have it made...;)

I totally forgot about avatar. Given the success of the movie and the unique nature of the figure I pegged it as a big hit.

That figure has never recovered value like some of the other "flops". It's a very well done figure, but came to far after the film fell out of favor.

POTC Angelica. SS were literally giving them away.

Which is kind of a shame, it's a nice looking figure.

Yeah, any figure that is given away is what I'd consider a flop... it's selling better now on the secondary market, but it did not do well for retailers.

While not flops, HT has also undercut the secondary market value on a number of figures. There was a time you could get $800 for a v1 Elder Predator, now you might get a 1/4 to 1/3 of that. And the v2 isn't exactly lighting up sales either, but it seems to sell at just below retail and it never had a real jump in value.

If you bought a figure at the right time, they threw in the bonus figure Angelica. Pure generosity. Amazing figure.

I don't think Angelica or these others are necissarily a flop since they still sell well given the right timing. They're just not as popular as others. I could have gotten Crow and some others for less than retail, which isn't a flop so much as a price point that is too high.

I keep reading "Given away"

Please define....

They put angelica as bonus if purchase any HT on SSC for free. Yeah HT for free, man. They also give away Jor El if you purchase Superman MoS. But they were not announce thing about give away, its pretty much jackpot

I would agree that heartbreaker and the last war machine are the IM flops. At least as far as IM flops go.

They put angelica as bonus if purchase any HT on SSC for free. Yeah HT for free, man. They also give away Jor El if you purchase Superman MoS. But they were not announce thing about give away, its pretty much jackpot

No not if you purchase any HT but stuff other than hot toys too.

Not announced??? Just, "oh BTW heres a free figure on us cause you just bought one!???"""
wOW. I need that kinda love, I eneter every contest and have not won a thing! LOL

The worst decision I ever made, was canceling the 89 Batmobile to pick up those two monstrosities.

giphy.gif

Back