What are some of Hot Toys biggest flops

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anything SSC give for free such as Angelica POTC and MoS Jor El

Bruce Lee casual is such shame, the headsculpt is really good but people care less of Bruce lee if he is not shirtless. Also I dont understand how Avatar jake sully is flop, headsculpt is nice, its a big figure with details and nice stand base

Are we sure Bruce Lee didn't sell OK in China? It's a big assumption that a figure didn't sell in the states so it's a dud.

I totally forgot about avatar

That's why Jake Sully has to be the biggest flop -- most expensive for HT.

Also, Angelica and Tonto -- not expensive losers but not much volume moved I would doubt.

Be curious to know what the truth is. Could be a relatively successful figure that they just made too damn many of.

The Metal Gear Solid 3 figures stuck,around for a long time, particularly The Boss.msanle would have sold better if they didn't put him in that stupid stealth suit and just had him in regular caoi instead. I can't imagine Sweeney Todd sold too well either, even though it's a great looking figure and a pretty cool movie.

I was looking at the upcoming releases from HT, nearly every figure is either Avengers, Iron Man or Star Wars. HT sure seem to be playing it safe. I guess these lines are home runs in terms of saleability?

I'd say HT' biggest flop is their inane ability to choose garbage materials for their products.

All those poor DX02 / Comedian / Ed-209 (2.0) / etc etc owners..

That's why Jake Sully has to be the biggest flop -- most expensive for HT.

Also, Angelica and Tonto -- not expensive losers but not much volume moved I would doubt.

Be curious to know what the truth is. Could be a relatively successful figure that they just made too damn many of.

That's what I keep telling folks about 60's Batman & Robin figures or any of these really. Without knowing the production numbers, it's hard to tell what's a flop and what's a hit.

To the point, Fatburn seemed like a slow seller until the customizers started using the body for custom fodder.

Last edited:
Big failures from the past include Ganado Chainsaw guy (SSC gave away countless of these) and Two-Face (sold on Hastings for $50 at one point, you used to consistently be able to buy him from eBay for $80 shipped).

Someone mentioned Maleficent. Was that really a flop? I have that and in person it really does look fantastic. It also sold out in most UK resellers fairly quickly. Tonto on the other hand is still very much available.

Angelica
Goblin
Crow
Tonto
60s Batman/Robin

They are all awesome figures and I purchased the first four, but where I did not get them on discount they went on discount. I don't know if it makes them flops so much as not a huge hit that they hoped for.

That Tony Stark Mechanic was around for a long time at Sideshow and really only sold out eventually due to heavy discounts.

It's really hard to know if HT just made too many or if they really did sell badly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weird , sales flop isnt always an indicator of a flop to me. The Crow is an amazing figure , very well done, but not a great choice for the limited market.

Never understood the Manderin either, greAt sculpt buy WHY? Who would really want this, not mass marketable. Same as Sucker Punch.

HOWEVER this is the reason we collect, for our own tastes. If we simply expect sales only approuch, its gonns be marvel and star wars only. I think they need bto take more risks , lower production on these and ramp up the price. the die hard collectors will paay the extra for the one off character they always wanted. SOMEoNE is estatic to have that Tonto figure ..........but the production should havve been limited rather than banking on a huge hit and huge sales.

If they produced a limited American WereWolf, Id pay doubke normal price , aand they could produce half the amount.

POTC Angelica
GIJ Roadblock
Tron Legacy Kevin Flynn
IM3 Mandarin
Tonto
Goblin
ASM Spidey 2
Kerberos Panzer Jager
Power Pose IM Mk 42, Red Snapper
Mechanic Stark, Arc Creation Stark
AOU Quicksilver
AOU Maria Hill
RE Alice
Electro
Sleepy Hollow
Sweeney Todd
That Asian dude with the chair for $420+
A bunch of Predator dolls
Every Sucker Punch Doll
Every Artist Mix they offer
Every Bust they offer

Weird , sales flop isnt always an indicator of a flop to me. The Crow is an amazing figure , very well done, but not a great choice for the limited market.

Never understood the Manderin either, greAt sculpt buy WHY? Who would really want this, not mass marketable. Same as Sucker Punch.

HOWEVER this is the reason we collect, for our own tastes. If we simply expect sales only approuch, its gonns be marvel and star wars only. I think they need bto take more risks , lower production on these and ramp up the price. the die hard collectors will paay the extra for the one off character they always wanted. SOMEoNE is estatic to have that Tonto figure ..........but the production should havve been limited rather than banking on a huge hit and huge sales.

If they produced a limited American WereWolf, Id pay doubke normal price , aand they could produce half the amount.

Mandarin is simply corny character , people dont want such character as figure. Most people want cool character with cool design on their shelf, Ironman is pretty much has everything people want. Cool design, cool character. What else?

Back