What are John Howe, Richard Taylor and Brigitte doing in the Weta sculpting room ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why would the warg design need changed? I think WETA should stick to the already established look as I feel that one is perfect.

I dug the heyena-like Wargs, too, but I've seen interviews with PJ (sorry, can't remember any specific links at the moment) where he noted that he was never satisfied with the design but just ran out of time. And I've seen comments by both him and GDT that the Wargs in The Hobbit will be more wolf-like.

And they don't believe a redesign would mess up continuity because the rationale is that they're both Wargs, but slightly different breeds.

Last edited:
I think WETA has the license for James Cameron's Avatar. So maybe they are working on a new line for that movie. And if rumors are true and the visuals are stunning and the story epic. Then this could become a great line.

Being in the LOTR section makes me think something obviously LOTR/Hobbit centric. It appears to be a horse but at this point I'll take anything from LOTR/Hobbit.

I dug the heyena-like Wargs, too, but I've seen interviews with PJ (sorry, can't remember any specific links at the moment) where he noted that he was never satisfied with the design but just ran out of time. And I've seen comments by both him and GDT that the Wargs in The Hobbit will be more wolf-like.

And they don't believe a redesign would mess up continuity because the rationale is that they're both Wargs, but slightly different breeds.

If I recall correctly I believe this was addressed in the extra footage of the extended version of TTT. However, the hyena look was exactly what PJ wanted. He rejected the wolf-like warg look for the more powerfully built hyena-like warg.

Last edited:
Is there any indication that this is even LOTR related? I'm not seeing it on the page.

Is there any indication that this is even LOTR related? I'm not seeing it on the page.

Nothing more than an educated guess....and hopeful thinking. All three are very well known for their work with the SSW LOTR line of statues/busts, or the movie trilogy.

Told you all so.

So while it's LOTR related, I don't think it can be from the films, since Weta don't have the license for it at the moment. So unless John does, it would be what his original drawings looked like, so no actor likeness.

Last edited:
To those of us who not only love the movies, but the books [and book- related art] as well this is welcome news. My only concern is the price tag associated with these pieces based on this quote : "Cast in very short editions in bronze and in white metal, these fine art pieces will be cherished by discerning collectors the world over."

As not only a fan of the movies, but all tolkien, as well as john's work, I too am really looking forward to these :rock. But i had not noticed about the bronze that you quoted woodsy. Very expensive i think :(

these pieces will be in the $6000 ball park i reckon,i cant wait to see them.

a ringraith on steed based on howes artwork would be :banana

Thats one way to kill any excitement these pieces might generate. :(

I might be able to spring for that "one special" piece, though I don't think this will be a wide line to begin with.

It's going to be a pricey line for sure.

Curious to see these first pieces. I'm not particularly a fan of the bronze treatments but it would definitely give these limited edition pieces a classy touch.

Don't be too quick to dismiss them... remember that "white metal" could mean pewter or some other metal mix that might be more affordable, but still a little more than usual.

Back