What are John Howe, Richard Taylor and Brigitte doing in the Weta sculpting room ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I, too, am in the wait until they unveil mode. Perhaps might be out of my price range, but that would make me more discriminating for that one perfect piece that I might not be able to resist. Howe's (and Lee's) work is what most of us have envisioned Middle-earth and its denizens to be. Will be at the Weta booth with controlled anticipation.

Was very excited to hear this! New LOTR sculptures by Howe and Weta! But i'm not a big fan of bronze anyway so if they are all like that, it'll be a pass for me...unless they do something that really blows me away. Or Tom Bombadil!
Imagine a Howe-designed balrog, fell beast, Witch-King, mouth of Sauron...

Don't be too quick to dismiss them... remember that "white metal" could mean pewter or some other metal mix that might be more affordable, but still a little more than usual.

The terms "cast in very short editions", "bronze", and "discerning [aka rich] collectors" does not sound to me like they will be a little more than usual. Sounds more like the exact opposite to me. I guess time will tell.

Personally I don't expect it will have anything to do with LOTR or the Hobbit any of that, its just way too early.

If I had to make a practical guess, does Howe illustrate a whole lot of 'fantasy' type things.
As such, I think Weta maybe starting a line or one off, statue edition of 'general' Howe drawings.

It would fit with Weta wanting to create their 'own' statues and collectibles without big movie, etc license fee's.

Told you all so.

So while it's LOTR related, I don't think it can be from the films, since Weta don't have the license for it at the moment. So unless John does, it would be what his original drawings looked like, so no actor likeness.

Really? i'd say you were half right! :lol :lol

Personally I am really excited about this news...some more LOTR (book or film, and TBH I am as much of a fan of the world in general as I am of PJ's vision of it) from Weta will never go amiss :lecture :)

Personally I am really excited about this news...some more LOTR (book or film, and TBH I am as much of a fan of the world in general as I am of PJ's vision of it) from Weta will never go amiss :lecture :)

Nice catch GG!:rotfl

It might, if you have to decide whether to buy one Weta LOTR bronze, or the next 10 SS PF's.....:(

Why thank you, kind sir! :lol

Your welcome! I just wish I had caught that....:lol

It might, if you have to decide whether to buy one Weta LOTR bronze, or the next 10 SS PF's.....:(

Personally I would choose one Weta Bronze piece :) Of coarse this does depend on what it is depicting, but seeing as I loved most of John Howes work then I think I am safe :lol

Personally if I had the choice (and the cash :lol), then I think I would go for the bronze as well. In the long run I think it would be the wiser choice IMO.

Anyway still really looking forward to the reveals. And it says 'Middle-Earth', not just 'LOTR', so I want to see something from the Silmarillion :D

You charmer Woodsy! :eek: How about you, which would you choose? :)

You know what, I think I'd have to go the SS route myself seeing as I am a "more bang for you buck" kind of guy. I think the most I've ever spent on a statue was $1000 and it might sound strange, but I actually felt quite guilty spending that much on one of my collectibles. I just don't know if I could justify spending the kind of money I suspect these will be going for, no matter how beautiful they may be. :huh

You know what, I think I'd have to go the SS route myself seeing as I am a "more bang for you buck" kind of guy. I think the most I've ever spent on a statue was $1000 and it might sound strange, but I actually felt quite guilty spending that much on one of my collectibles. I just don't know if I could justify spending the kind of money I suspect these will be going for, no matter how beautiful they may be. :huh

I do know what you mean, but TBH if they released a Fell beast or Ringwraith or even Smaug based on a John Howe design and it was stunning I am not sure I could actually resist...I have always regretted not getting the Gandalf Bronze when I had the chance and it would be difficult for me to feel that way twice

I do know what you mean, but TBH if they released a Fell beast or Ringwraith or even Smaug based on a John Howe design and it was stunning I am not sure I could actually resist...I have always regretted not getting the Gandalf Bronze when I had the chance and it would be difficult for me to feel that way twice

True enough GG, some of those statues would be very hard to walk away from. And good point concerning the Gandalf bronze....I can't even remember the last time I saw one of those available. :google

True enough GG, some of those statues would be very hard to walk away from. And good point concerning the Gandalf bronze....I can't even remember the last time I saw one of those available. :google

The last time I saw one it was sitting in front of me in a fellow collectors house and he only wanted £2000 for it...which I just couldn't muster...oh the regrets :monkey2:monkey2:lol:lol

But I think it will all come down to what they design, the size they choose (I am personally hoping for 1/6) and, of coarse, the price :lol

It'll be interesting to see if they release any familiar creatures that differ from the film versions. For example, if the Fell Beast had those crazy eyepieces from his original design or his balrog with armour.

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see if they release any familiar creatures that differ from the film versions. For example, if the Fell Beast had those crazy eyepieces from his original design or his balrog with armour.

I'm sure they will, there are simply too many great creatures that would be left out otherwise......including the Balrog.

Gandalf_Falls_With_the_Balrog.jpg

bridgehowe.jpg

And the nazgul........

FF-Nazgul-2-port.jpg

Back