Statue Weta Workshop's The Balrog Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought you all would like to see this. Some great info from Mike Gonzales who is the Head of Consumer Product at Weta.got a chance to talk with him at comic-con and he's a pretty awesome guy.

I promised you we would have news this week...

The Mighty Balrog can not be contained much longer! Balrog has easily been one of our most requested characters and we had to bring him back for fans to enjoy! Beautifully sculpted by Jamie Beswarick and standing at an impressive 52cm, we have set a pre-order date and quantity for this Limited Edition Weta collectible.

Because I am just stepping into the role as Head of Consumer products I felt it was a good time to change things up a bit. As a fellow collector, I know it's nice to be able to plan for impressive pieces like this, making sure there's room on your shelves and being able time out your purchases etc.

But, I still think we need to keep some mystery around the releases. I am always open for feedback and comments.

Having said all that I am happy to announce a pre-order date of September 22nd 2014, 1pm PST. the Balrog statue will be limited to 1500 pieces and is scheduled to ship before the end of 2014.

Final price will be announced when the pre-order goes live.

More exciting news to come for the rest of our new releases so stay tuned and let us know what you think of the new announcement format.

Cheers!

Mike Gonzo

Last edited:
That's a quick turnaround from release to shipping, ouch. With 1500 it might stick around for a bit though.

It is but Mike talked about that the other day in that its actually a little better for us as far as we're not ordering then waiting say a year for something. So I think that's a plus. I like that the ES is 1500 which isn't a lot more than the original but should make sure that those of us who really want it can get it. I'd say with the ES on that being a little higher than I expected I would expect this to land now at $700-$750.

It is but Mike talked about that the other day in that its actually a little better for us as far as we're not ordering then waiting say a year for something. So I think that's a plus. I like that the ES is 1500 which isn't a lot more than the original but should make sure that those of us who really want it can get it. I'd say with the ES on that being a little higher than I expected I would expect this to land now at $700-$750.

I definitely think the short wait is a plus, hopefully when it goes up for order they have more of a solid ship date. That way I can either hit the order button then or wait depending on price/shipping. The es at 1500 may be a good thing considering... I just hope they give us a little time between this and Smaug.
And there's still Thror too. :slap

I definitely think the short wait is a plus, hopefully when it goes up for order they have more of a solid ship date. That way I can either hit the order button then or wait depending on price/shipping. The es at 1500 may be a good thing considering... I just hope they give us a little time between this and Smaug.
And there's still Thror too. :slap

I expect it will. Usually when Weta puts things up they have the month nailed down so I wouldn't think that will change. Smaug I don't think is supposed to be until Q1 next year, which covers Jan-March. So I think we should have some time on that.

Cool. End of 2014 makes this a Christmas present :)

Hopefully Smaug isn't released too close to this, but I LOVE them announcing the preorder time.

1500 pieces at maybe $700 is a lot. I will order Smaug before this. Maybe Smaug might be the same in regards to ES and price

I'd rather buy this then Smaug. I'd love both ideally but this is the better sculpt IMO

Sent from the Cockpit of the Millenium Falcon

Right now I would like to get both, but I have other 'Rogs and no Smaug pieces. May sell one of my other Rog pieces if this turns out epic though so I can afford to keep both.

I will be getting both pieces. I've got the Daddy Rog but there is no question I will be getting this and I will be getting Smaug. Two total show stopping pieces at Comic-Con this year for me.

I really want this. Funny thing is my wife would probably think it was cool as she knows how much of a LOTR fan I am. Even though it's a huge monster. She liked my Conan FofTB dio so I guess I'm safe and won't get to much grief.

If Sauron at $900 is not sold out yet with 1500 ES this will sit if they don't price it under $700

It might sell a little slower but I do think it will sell quicker than folks think simply because people have been asking for a HUGE Balrog for years.

Right now I would like to get both, but I have other 'Rogs and no Smaug pieces. May sell one of my other Rog pieces if this turns out epic though so I can afford to keep both.
I have neither Lol
Just hope this is not too expansive. I missed the first one, don't want to miss this..
I hope its not too expensive too. I'm in the same boat and this looks awesome
I really want this. Funny thing is my wife would probably think it was cool as she knows how much of a LOTR fan I am. Even though it's a huge monster. She liked my Conan FofTB dio so I guess I'm safe and won't get to much grief.
Lucky. My wife loves everything I've introduced to her except this. Last week I guilted her into watching it and giving the movies a chance because I know she'll love them. Conan is another license. Jeez you're a lucky man

So guys has the ES actually been announced or is that all still assumption

Back