Statue Weta Workshop's The Balrog Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The original is nice for its time and it was one of the first "grails" in a young hobby.

Frankly we've come a long way since it was first released.

1. It is very small, ridiculously so when compared with the much larger, more imposing pieces routinely being released today.

2. Whip breaks very easily.

3. The same cheezy flame effects people complain about on the newer one is identical and present on this old one.

4. He is hunched over with the wings folded making him even smaller.

5. On some, the tail will eventually drop over time touching the base. Not ideal.

Most pictures of the original Balrog are close up with no other statues or indeed everyday items like an apple or Coke can to give you some sense of scale.

Remember folks, there was a REASON it sold initially for 300 bucks . . .

NOW to be fair, it remains one of the best representations of the Balrog in FULL statue form but that's frankly because there has simply been very few competitors in resin.

For Christ's sake, it got so bad, even the big NECA plastic toy got people excited.

In resin form:

1. Smaller Flame of Udun which is even SMALLER than the original one. I owned that and sold it off.

2. The one with the ridiculously small Gandalf falling with it. Nice statue but I don't really want my DEFINITIVE Balrog displayed upside down and falling.

3. Legendary Scale Bust which is an adaptation of the much superior kit by Steve West. And it's a bust.

Am I missing any full size statues of this Balrog?

So now we finally have a 2 foot statue/maquette by the guys who made this thing for the movies and people are complaining bout the flame effects on the sword?

This is basically what that original release SHOULD have been in size, detail, and complexity but couldn't because statue collecting was in its infancy at the time.

Now in 2014 we finally get our definitive Balrog in proper size and pose. I couldn't be happier.

The original is nice for its time and it was one of the first "grails" in a young hobby.

Frankly we've come a long way since it was first released.

1. It is very small, ridiculously so when compared with the much larger, more imposing pieces routinely being released today.

2. Whip breaks very easily.

3. The same cheezy flame effects people complain about on the newer one is identical and present on this old one.

4. He is hunched over with the wings folded making him even smaller.

5. On some, the tail will eventually drop over time touching the base. Not ideal.

Most pictures of the original Balrog are close up with no other statues or indeed everyday items like an apple or Coke can to give you some sense of scale.

Remember folks, there was a REASON it sold initially for 300 bucks . . .

NOW to be fair, it remains one of the best representations of the Balrog in FULL statue form but that's frankly because there has simply been very few competitors in resin.

For Christ's sake, it got so bad, even the big NECA plastic toy got people excited.

In resin form:

1. Smaller Flame of Udun which is even SMALLER than the original one. I owned that and sold it off.

2. The one with the ridiculously small Gandalf falling with it. Nice statue but I don't really want my DEFINITIVE Balrog displayed upside down and falling.

3. Legendary Scale Bust which is an adaptation of the much superior kit by Steve West. And it's a bust.

So now we finally have a 2 foot statue/maquette by the guys who made this thing for the movies and people are complaining bout the flame effects on the sword?

This is basically what that original release SHOULD have been in size, detail, and complexity but couldn't because statue collecting was in its infancy at the time.

Now in 2014 we finally get our definitive Balrog in proper size and pose. I couldn't be happier.
Good post

Sent from the Cockpit of the Millenium Falcon

I'm gonna own both but this one doesn't take away at all from the original nor does the original take away from this. Its nice to have two fantastic Balrog statues.

Good post Dennis. The Gentle Giant bust was another representation of the Balrog that many ended up purchasing.

I think most of the complaints happened due to the poor pictures that popped up first. After a while people got to see the details a bit better and most seem to like it. Those who do not like it are entitled to their opinion, but I just don't see what the alternative could have been. The clear resin effect that you see in the Legendary bust may look out of place in a Weta line that has already established how they handle sculpted fire. The sword is fine as it is to me since it adds contrast to a mostly dark sculpt.

To give up on this release or to say that it's ruined because of the fire sword is just madness. :slap

Just cause you mention of other bust, Gentle Giants bust.
:drool
balrog%2Blifesize.JPG

I came into this hobby too recently to have picked up the other one. Will be nice to add a bigger/full balrog to go with the legendary bust. This flame one isnt cutting it.

Last I seen on the bay was 5k-ish.

Pffftt....so wish I could have seen it for 1.5.

The non flame look has always been controversial. I love it, but to this day I don't have a room that is large enough to display it. It has been adorning the inside of my storage room for many years.

Good post and breakdown, but my biggest gripe is the sword looks cheesy, it would have been great if they had a whip instead of the sword.

Good post and breakdown, but my biggest gripe is the sword looks cheesy, it would have been great if they had a whip instead of the sword.
We've been down this path before. I was on the same boat until I saw the newer pics.

Sent from the Cockpit of the Millenium Falcon

Back