Statue Weta Workshop Smaug the Terrible Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think Weta is increasing anything. If they do, they'll have hundreds of people who already have this screaming at them that they want their statues brought up to the new standard. I'll be one of them. Not going to happen.

Yea, I did not take that to mean they were changing anything, just that they were already quality and they take a while to get produced.

The first batch has some issues where some Smaug has better quality while some has slightly not so good quality (be it the paintjob or sculpt). I take it that Weta is aware of this and they are making sure all are in same good quality.

Mine has a bit of issue (not paint job), the 2 small "thorns" (NOT the supposed to be missing horns) near it's eyebrow area are missing. I assume people who getting the new batch won't have this issue anymore. (I conveyed this issue to one of Weta sculptor when i noticed mine has missing "thorns").

The first batch has some issues where some Smaug has better quality while some has slightly not so good quality (be it the paintjob or sculpt). I take it that Weta is aware of this and they are making sure all are in same good quality.

Mine has a bit of issue (not paint job), the 2 small "thorns" (NOT the supposed to be missing horns) near it's eyebrow area are missing. I assume people who getting the new batch won't have this issue anymore. (I conveyed this issue to one of Weta sculptor when i noticed mine has missing "thorns").

Those small horns in the eyebrow area are fragile and could easily break off during casting, painting or packing. Consider yourself lucky if you get yours with those small horns intact. Did you try contacting Weta how they could rectify your issue?

Those small horns in the eyebrow area are fragile and could easily break off during casting, painting or packing. Consider yourself lucky if you get yours with those small horns intact. Did you try contacting Weta how they could rectify your issue?

Mine was either broke off during casting or painting. The broke off parts were painted.

I didn't ask for help from Weta for this case, i had a feeling that i could putty it back myself without a big trouble by looking at the size of the thorns. But i have no idea how to start yet...lol.

just confirmed with megan on facebook from weta that smaug march shipment will arrive and start shipping next week, she also said that bolg will arrive in same shipment and start shipping shortly after

im in USA and should be on this april shipment but i have no email yet from weta regarding my smaug shipping this week hmmmm

No email for me yet and I should be in the next batch. I just want to know if I'm going to be charged the $650 this month or in June?

Should be charged when they start shipping your item. If they ship this week, you will be charged this week. If your batch is on June, the it is charged on June :)

im in USA and should be on this april shipment but i have no email yet from weta regarding my smaug shipping this week hmmmm

My friend from Japan hasn't received any email notification too. He supposed to be in this batch. Still waiting...

My friend from Japan hasn't received any email notification too. He supposed to be in this batch. Still waiting...

I think the delay in shipping of those who are in the second batch could probably be due to Weta fulfilling replacement requests for Balrogs of those who were in the first batch. If you are far down in the 2nd batch queue, you'd expect delays as you've been bumped down further by first batch replacement requests.

Wow, I gotta give Weta tons of credit for putting out a great piece.

IMG_20150417_170816~2.jpg

IMG_20150417_170758~2.jpg

IMG_20150417_170642.jpg

Phone pics look ok, will have to get the Nikon and take better pics later.
It's a little more matte than I thought but overall I'm really pleased.
Packing was superb, first time I had to get hand tools.

Real cameras will always be better than phones...

Smaug1.jpg

Smaug2.jpg

Smaug3.jpg

Smaug4.jpg

Smaug5.jpg

Smaug6.jpg

Smaug7.jpg

Smaug8.jpg

Smaug9.jpg

Looking at it further, my only gripe is that chin "barb" on both sides. I think the pink could have been shaded/toned a bit better. May have to do that at some point, but i still think it looks great.

Back