Statue Weta Workshop Smaug the Terrible Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A full on repaint will set you back a few bills but would probably blow everyone away. Especially on a piece like this.
Still looking forward to getting mine, hopefully next month.

Don't know that it would really need a 'full on' repaint, more a case of some more layers/dry brush work in various area's. A sort of next step that the factory painters didn't do. So could be somewhat cheaper and quicker to do, to the point that postage back and forth could well cost as much as the paint work.

How do you think doing any kind of paint touch up would affect the future value of the piece? I continue to contemplate doing it. Would like to believe I'll never get rid of this, but never say never.

Assuming a professional level job, ie like the prototype, then I can't see it decreasing value and more likely increase it.

I guess there are some that demand/expect it to look as "shipped", but then those have variations anyway.

Don't know that it would really need a 'full on' repaint, more a case of some more layers/dry brush work in various area's. A sort of next step that the factory painters didn't do. So could be somewhat cheaper and quicker to do, to the point that postage back and forth could well cost as much as the paint work.

True a good touch up could work out very well. In my mind a good paint job starts from the ground up, that's where I was coming from.

I'd also have to agree that any paintwork done well wouldn't detract from value. Once I get mine I'll have to look it over and think about it.

I for one would like someone to try a repaint of Daddy Smaug. Maybe Rayeknor knows someone at Papo and get it painted by them,or he can let us know (if he buys Daddy Smaug) to paint it himself. I understand the paint app does not match the prototype, and that some pieces missed some layers. I didn't let that stop me from buying Daddy Smaug.

I second that. Would be great to see a professional paintjob on Daddy Smaug from Rayeknor that finally truely worth the USD750. :clap Once he shows the USD750 paintjob's photos, probably will have some collectors sending their Daddy Smaug to him to do repaint. So It is a business opportunity for him too.

Eventually we poor collectors can see some professional paintjob that amazed us, rich collectors can decide if they want to do full repaint or not, and Rayeknor can earn some good money with his skills. All win situations! :)

Dragon looks ok but disappointed with the base which is also very important for this particular piece, they didn't add any details like a few gems or color shadings to highlight the mountains of treasury to give it a 3d effect, just painted it mono gold, bleh.

Thought I was in the March shipment. Turns out I'm in the May-June shipment. Better for me monetarily. At least my Balrog will come in a few weeks or so.

Dragon looks ok but disappointed with the base which is also very important for this particular piece, they didn't add any details like a few gems or color shadings to highlight the mountains of treasury to give it a 3d effect, just painted it mono gold, bleh.

do you reccomend it? I got the $110 off with the discount

Might have had something to do with the scale issue. They mentioned that in order to keep the coins from looking like sand at that scale, they had to make them something like 10 times their actual size. Adding other things could have made Smaug look much smaller then, especially if it was something identifiable like a goblet. I guess gems could have been just about any size, but why chance it.

Something that could have been done would have been to make the gold pile more of a slope (as pictured in the movie) with elements other than just coinage. Gems, armor, weapons etc...even stone structures. That at least would have given more than just a "level" pile of the same thing. More intricate, time consuming, costly? Possibly, probably...
However I still think it looks great. Would be neat to see someone attempt any customization on this.

Weta had updated the order page's details. Looks like they are increasing the sculpt / paintjob quality of the upcoming batches of Smaug, thus some delaying of the orders.

Love Weta for listening our suggestions / complains!

Weta had updated the order page's details. Looks like they are increasing the sculpt / paintjob quality of the upcoming batches of Smaug, thus some delaying of the orders.

Love Weta for listening our suggestions / complains!

Where does it say that? All I see is a delay notice, not that they are changing anything.

Yep my order looks likely to be sometime in June now. Not an issue for me as I can spend a bit of money on secondary concerns (the house)

I don't think Weta is increasing anything. If they do, they'll have hundreds of people who already have this screaming at them that they want their statues brought up to the new standard. I'll be one of them. Not going to happen.

Yeah, I just think it means they're taking the time that the one folks are getting look like the latter part of the first batch not the first couple we saw that did have some paint issues.

Back