Statue Weta Workshop Smaug the Terrible Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear ya. As you can tell from pictures of my collection I love Middle-earth. :lol :rock They're going to help make a lot of collections that much better. I know I am super excited to add them to mine. Seeing them at Comic-Con was a treat but waiting to see them in person again kind of stinks. There should be some healthy points coming from this to build towards the next thing. You and me both.

Not yet but as soon as I know I'll pass it on if someone doesn't beat me to it. No they don't. Not like Weta does if they do something like that.

Seeing them at the Con was amazing, but I can't wait to see them in private without 12 sweaty dudes shoving me aside to take 30 photos. Even though after the con, even having seen them in person, I appreciated those photos... like yours. :lol

Cool thanks man

Sent from the Cockpit of the Millenium Falcon

No problem. :duff

Seeing them at the Con was amazing, but I can't wait to see them in private without 12 sweaty dudes shoving me aside to take 30 photos. Even though after the con, even having seen them in person, I appreciated those photos... like yours. :lol

I agree but I do apologize for being sweaty. :lol Thanks :duff I'm glad I could bring quality photos to the board. I hope to do the same when we get it and start sharing our shots.

I hear ya. As you can tell from pictures of my collection I love Middle-earth. :lol :rock They're going to help make a lot of collections that much better. I know I am super excited to add them to mine. Seeing them at Comic-Con was a treat but waiting to see them in person again kind of stinks. There should be some healthy points coming from this to build towards the next thing. You and me both.

I stated previously that my long term collecting goals were more in tune with Weta, and this is a huge shot in the arm so after this I can really slow waaaaaaay down.
:duff cheers to that.

I stated previously that my long term collecting goals were more in tune with Weta, and this is a huge shot in the arm so after this I can really slow waaaaaaay down.
:duff cheers to that.

They're getting all my money as well. I'll pick up stuff from GG as they do things but they go at a lot slower pace. So it allows me to even laser focus more on what Weta is doing and expand my collection with them.

There's nothing like ME baddies. If Smaug comes out at 1500, says a lot for a movie that many complained about. But then again it IS Smaug.

Yet at the same time, the FB Smaug, with an ES of only 300 took a fair time to sell out. Based on a classic John Howe book cover and it's still Smaug, so I can only assume that most people have a bias towards film versions.

The statue of smaug is great, but not that great. I was expecting a better position, maybe with the wings open. I'm not collecting hobbit stuff but I couldn't resist on Azog on warg. Dynamic pose and size worth every penny, so amazing.
If price is really good I might consider, but the balrog as a better value for me a late collector of LOTR.

The statue of smaug is great, but not that great. I was expecting a better position, maybe with the wings open. I'm not collecting hobbit stuff but I couldn't resist on Azog on warg. Dynamic pose and size worth every penny, so amazing.
If price is really good I might consider, but the balrog as a better value for me a late collector of LOTR.

I don't know about that. It's pretty great. This wasn't my ideal pose but after looking it over during comic-con I do quite like it. He would be an even more massive piece if he was standing up so by them doing this pose it allows for some vertical display space to be saved.

Yeah forget the movies, Smaug is such an important and classic character. The Balrog is just a monster, but Smaug is crucial to ME lore. And as Hobbit is a children's book, people grew up with Smaug and have loved him since childhood, versus the Balrog which older collector's with all the money weren't aware of until they likely read the books in high school.

I am sorry but I have to disagree here. Smaug is important for the Hobbit book and that's it really. Anyone who has read all the ME books can see that Balrogs are very important creatures created by Morgoth and having taken part in classic scenes like the duels with Fingon and Glorfindel. Even regarding dragons, Smaug is not the most important one, not by a long shot. This place belongs to Glaurung by right!

Of course I agree that for people that have only read the Hobbit and have not delved into ME lore, Smaug is very important, and this is the majority. Anyway, since we are not likely to see any statue of Glaurung in the near future, this Smaug statue will do just fine!!

Yet at the same time, the FB Smaug, with an ES of only 300 took a fair time to sell out. Based on a classic John Howe book cover and it's still Smaug, so I can only assume that most people have a bias towards film versions.

Faux or full bronze? Bronze in general isn't a huge seller due to price and faux is for a select few who want the look but not the price. That is a great looking piece though. I have to give the designers/animators a lot of credit for Smaug, he looked great. The best dragon on screen since Dragonslayer in my opinion.

Faux or full bronze? Bronze in general isn't a huge seller due to price and faux is for a select few who want the look but not the price. That is a great looking piece though. I have to give the designers/animators a lot of credit for Smaug, he looked great. The best dragon on screen since Dragonslayer in my opinion.

Faux, no way could I afford the full Bronze one.

I am sorry but I have to disagree here. Smaug is important for the Hobbit book and that's it really. Anyone who has read all the ME books can see that Balrogs are very important creatures created by Morgoth and having taken part in classic scenes like the duels with Fingon and Glorfindel. Even regarding dragons, Smaug is not the most important one, not by a long shot. This place belongs to Glaurung by right!

Of course I agree that for people that have only read the Hobbit and have not delved into ME lore, Smaug is very important, and this is the majority. Anyway, since we are not likely to see any statue of Glaurung in the near future, this Smaug statue will do just fine!!

Fair enough. Balrog's were very important in ME history. I have read Silmarillion and other Tolkien work besides Hobbit and LotR (I stopped reading when all that was left was Chris' work). I suppose to clarify, I did mean that Smaug plays the important role in the "current ME" world. And I think there is a difference too between "Balrogs" and "THE Balrog". The statues are of THE Balrog, the one Gandalf fights. And that one, while his/her involvement is crucial to the story development, is just a monster operating at a base level of "look, stuff, kill". Smaug is a distinct character with thoughts, feelings and distinct decisions that have wide spread effects.

So while the above is not at all what I said originally, it is more along the lines of what I was thinking. Lol :)

Also when it comes to the issue at hand, ES size an popularity among buyers, I do imagine that Smaug trumps Balrog for his greater role in "current" ME. Balrog's importance in the history of ME is likely more of a non-factor when it comes to statue sales for weta.

Fair enough. Balrog's were very important in ME history. I have read Silmarillion and other Tolkien work besides Hobbit and LotR (I stopped reading when all that was left was Chris' work). I suppose to clarify, I did mean that Smaug plays the important role in the "current ME" world. And I think there is a difference too between "Balrogs" and "THE Balrog". The statues are of THE Balrog, the one Gandalf fights. And that one, while his/her involvement is crucial to the story development, is just a monster operating at a base level of "look, stuff, kill". Smaug is a distinct character with thoughts, feelings and distinct decisions that have wide spread effects.

So while the above is not at all what I said originally, it is more along the lines of what I was thinking. Lol :)

Also when it comes to the issue at hand, ES size an popularity among buyers, I do imagine that Smaug trumps Balrog for his greater role in "current" ME. Balrog's importance in the history of ME is likely more of a non-factor when it comes to statue sales for weta.

Fair enough, it is nice to converse with people that know their ME. For me personally, when I look at my Balrog statues, I see all the Balrogs of ME, not just the LOTR one. But I can see your point.

I don't know. The Original Balrog still sells for $1100-$1400. I think that pretty much sets that the demand and impact of the Balrog is a large one. There's a reason he was one of two new statues shown at SDCC.

Fair enough, it is nice to converse with people that know their ME. For me personally, when I look at my Balrog statues, I see all the Balrogs of ME, not just the LOTR one. But I can see your point.

I do the same thing. I look at it and think of how amazing that part in the book is as well as the movie then just imagine legions of Balrogs. :rock

I think Smaug also has a good chance of enticing dragon lovers like me and monster collectors so maybe there would be more demand?

Back