Statue Weta: The Hobbit - Dwalin

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paint job is superb IMO. :)

While the paint application is smooth, there is a clear lack of highlighting and shading. It lacks depth. Compare to the prototype and the difference is huge. If these pieces were to be repainted by a proper painter, they would look exponentially better.

While the paint application is smooth, there is a clear lack of highlighting and shading. It lacks depth. Compare to the prototype and the difference is huge. If these pieces were to be repainted by a proper painter, they would look exponentially better.

No, its as good as the proto IMO. I've seen both up close and I believe my photos show what I see in both. So they look pretty exceptional right now.

You can't see how on Balin they had a great flesh application with layers of red applied on the nose and cheekbones on the weta site? You don't see that missing in your pictures?

I agree with Josh. Weta is not Sideshow, they don't reveal paint-masters then disappoint. A lot of their photos on the site are factoty painted. I know from all my other Weta pieces, they very closely match the photos on the Weta site. My miniature Gandalf actually looks better than theirs.

Remember, Weta take professional photos. Josh's are just quick, outdoor snaps so they're going to look a lot more washed out.

Having said all that, I do agree on Balin having less red shading on his face, as I pointed out in the Balin thread. You can see the red better in my photos than Josh's but even in person, it's not on the same level as Weta's photos.

Last edited:
You can't see how on Balin they had a great flesh application with layers of red applied on the nose and cheekbones on the weta site? You don't see that missing in your pictures?

Its not missing on the statue or in my pictures. In the close ups you can see the detail even better than the other pictures. It looks good in person and in pics.

I agree with Josh. Weta is not Sideshow, they don't reveal paint-masters then disappoint. A lot of their photos on the site are factoty painted. I know from all my other Weta pieces, they very closely match the photos on the Weta site. My miniature Gandalf actually looks better than theirs.

To be fair Sideshows Lord of the Rings line has been one hit after another. Arwen had the eye issue but the paint on her as a whole was good as has been the rest of the line.

Remember, Weta take professional photos. Josh's are just quick, outdoor snaps so they're going to look a lot more washed out.

I kind of feel this is a bit of a slap at my photos (you may not mean it that way). There is nothing quick about my photo taking process from the actual taking to editing.

Last edited:
To be fair Sideshows Lord of the Rings line has been one hit after another. So let's at least be a bit fair when picking a side of the fence to sit on. :duff.
There's no denying I prefer Weta's artistic direction over Sideshow's, where Middle-earth is concerned, so maybe I came off as sounding a tad bias :p

I kind of feel this is a bit of a slap at my photos. My photos and the ones I take are some of the best on this board and other boards I look at. I've actually worked at getting better with my camera over the years.
It wasn't meant to be. Fact is, theirs are taken under studio lighting and more time has likely been spent manipulating them afterwards.

Im not biased at all and have no trouble criticizing sideshow over any of their offerings but that isn't for this thread. I am not trying to crap on anyones purchases here. As I said I think the sculpts for Balin and Dwalin are beautiful and unmistakable. The paint job is flat though. I don't feel it worth my time to put up a side by side pic of what is advertised on weta and these pictures. It should be evident enough to anyone who isn't biased

There's no denying I prefer Weta's artistic direction over Sideshow's, where Middle-earth is concerned, so maybe I came off as sounding a tad bias :p

Fair enough. As a collector of both they both deliver quality items from Middle-earth.

It wasn't meant to be. Fact is, theirs are taken under studio lighting and more time has likely been spent manipulating them afterwards.

Got ya. Studio lighting helps for sure. I don't run through things though. I probably took 600-650 photos today and then had to go through them all, sharpen, clear some of them up, etc. It took me a few hours needless to say. Plus I still have to write reviews up for three of them. Its no quick process.

Im not biased at all and have no trouble criticizing sideshow over any of their offerings but that isn't for this thread. I am not trying to crap on anyones purchases here. As I said I think the sculpts for Balin and Dwalin are beautiful and unmistakable. The paint job is flat though. I don't feel it worth my time to put up a side by side pic of what is advertised on weta and these pictures. It should be evident enough to anyone who isn't biased

You're not craping on my purchase. I feel the statue the way it looks in my photos and in person looks fantastic and that to me is #1. If someone else doesn't agree that's ok.

The conversation is a bit moot because every factory paint job will never hold a candle to something done as a custom by a real pro. Nothing Weta or SS has ever produced could possibly match the quality of a 1000 dollar repaint. I own two custom painted death dealer piece by Paul Moore and they are beyond amazing. I also own the Goblin King kit which is off the hook as well. There are no botched lines anywhere. For the price the paint jobs here are fine really.

Well lets see some better pics then.

In hand opinions carry more weight than pictures for me :lecture

Looking like the full range of the OF is going to be a stunning collection. Nice pick up Josh, can't wait to get these latest additions (right after I bag the long expected 1st exclusive release :pray: )

Thanks Dave! Dwalin and Balin are my faves so I'm glad to have them. Weta did a fantastic job with these two (like they do with all their stuff) and I tried my best to take some good pictures representing them (which I think I did). Hope you get all of them soon.

The sunlight changes much of how a statue looks,flash does that too...

Indeed. It's tricky picky when to take pictures. We had a good sunny day so I took advantage. This time of the year you don't get as good a light as I will in spring/summer.

I agree that the photos look different to the prototype but from experience this is because they are taken outside.... and everything always looks better in hand than in anyones photos anyway.
I do think the difference is notable in the photos, but remember Josh thinks everything is crazy cool, apart from that one time where he had a go at something twice in one thread! It took me a while to recover from that one :lol

But yes, basically outdoor photos do tend to flush the colour out of pieces but in hand i'm sure it looks great.

Back