WETA returns to LOTR 1:6?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Already building one and trying to avoid the flat thumbs and near decapitation :lecture

(Not so long story :eek: )

Cool! I can't do that kind of thing. Never been handy that way but a guy my folks know is and he's building me a couple of enclosed cases for some of my Lord of the Rings stuff and The Hobbit stuff.

Here is an extract. The top lid was originally glass but when fitting the sheet of glass, the wood trim holding it snapped at an unnoticed wood knot and it fell out when I was under it. I automatically went to block it with my hand ....but still had hold of a hammer :slap. Very close shave! :rotfl

I have put the emblems on the back of the cabinette now and laquered them over. I'm very pleased with how they look! Once the light up pieces of Bara Dur and Minas Tirith go in (along with a certain PF), they should look :wink1:

merry217.jpg

merry218.jpg

The lid to replace the glass I broke was initially going to be black edged with a black Tolkien symbol against a pine (natural) panel, but I decided it looked to odd so changed it. The symbol was simply drawn onto paper and then an acetate sheet (just a sealed laminating pouch) placed over it and then cut out for a stenciling template.

merry214.jpg

I decided to stay with the black and gold flecked blend and added a few 'stars' (again using the acetate for templates). The lid just needs fixing with hinges and a clasp now and the cabinette is finished. I will be putting a strip of dark brown draught excluder around the top of the frame so when the lid is closed it will be sealed properly and stop dust entering.

merry215.jpg

merry216.jpg

merry219.jpg

merry220.jpg

Next job is to finish painting the walls and complete the bad guys stand before starting on the gate to Moria!!!

Tim from Weta confirmed over at S&F the first piece in their Lord of the Rings 1:6th statue line.

Hi

Thanks everyone for voting in the polls and posting all your suggestions.

We really appreciate all your enthusiasm and passion

We are very pleased to announce the first character in our return to The Lord of the Rings 1/6th Statue Line will be ... Faramir.

We've been waiting several years to sculpt him

Time to get started ...

Cheers

Tim

More details soon !

I hope the new Weta LOTR are to scale with the older pieces. I would hate to rebuy the whole line over again due to size

faramir is probably one of my least favorite characters. i love the villains!!! here's my wish list!

mouth of sauron on steed
one of the other 8 wraiths in true form
witch king on fell beast with flaming sword
evil galadriel
830px-Galadrielwiththering.jpg

and because i like him...treebeard

I hope the new Weta LOTR are to scale with the older pieces. I would hate to rebuy the whole line over again due to size

I don't think that will be an issue. Gandalf from The Hobbit seems to scale with the old line.

faramir is probably one of my least favorite characters. i love the villains!!! here's my wish list!

mouth of sauron on steed
one of the other 8 wraiths in true form
witch king on fell beast with flaming sword
evil galadriel
830px-Galadrielwiththering.jpg

and because i like him...treebeard

Mouth if Sauron on steed would be awesome! The rest maybe after several others have been done. Treebeard I just don't ever see happening.

I don't think that will be an issue. Gandalf from The Hobbit seems to scale with the old line.

Mouth if Sauron on steed would be awesome! The rest maybe after several others have been done. Treebeard I just don't ever see happening.

treebeard in a 12" statue as opposed to an actual 1/6 scale which would make him huge.

It would. He'd still be massive too massive to be honest. Not to mention lots of possible lost detail.

It would. He'd still be massive too massive to be honest. Not to mention lots of possible lost detail.

sideshow did very well with the witch king in true form in 1/6. lots of intricate detail so we know it can be done.

Screenshot2013-05-10at193050_zps514ac42b.png

If Faramir is taller than the old Boromir or Aragorn then it's not in scale the Hobbit Gandalf is bigger than the Old Gandalf diff scales Josh. I would hate the FOTR Pippin to be much bigger than the SSW. Seem is a crappy word Josh. "That window seems to be straight" nope. I just hope he's the old scale because the difference will be noticable for those who care . SSW Gandalf does not seem to be in scale with the Hobbit Gandalf. I would hate for Weta to redo the whole line again or mismatch scales. Let the Hobbit be true 1/6 as it was right from the beginning, but I hope LOTR matches the older SSW LOTR scale. Seem won't cut it

sideshow did very well with the witch king in true form in 1/6. lots of intricate detail so we know it can be done.

Screenshot2013-05-10at193050_zps514ac42b.png

I think Treebeard is a bit more detailed that either if those. It could be done but I would strongly doubt it.

If Faramir is taller than the old Boromir or Aragorn then it's not in scale the Hobbit Gandalf is bigger than the Old Gandalf diff scales Josh. I would hate the FOTR Pippin to be much bigger than the SSW. Seem is a crappy word Josh. "That window seems to be straight" nope. I just hope he's the old scale because the difference will be noticable for those who care . SSW Gandalf does not seem to be in scale with the Hobbit Gandalf. I would hate for Weta to redo the whole line again or mismatch scales. Let the Hobbit be true 1/6 as it was right from the beginning, but I hope LOTR matches the older SSW LOTR scale. Seem won't cut it

I don't have the SSW Gandalf anymore to put them side by side so I can't say. Will just have to take your word for it. I would venture to guess these new pieces will be in scale as The Hobbit statues are and not try to match a slightly smaller 1:6 from 10+ years ago. So I suppose there's going to be some differences. Not really going to be a big deal I'd imagine for most of us. Obviously that's not going to be the case with everyone.

I wholeheartedly agree here...if ANYONE owns lots of the older SSW statues, these new ones HAVE to fit in. If they are in a different scale...bad!

However, the LICENSE may dictate size/scale and Weta may have no choice in the sizing of the new statues.

Anxiously awaiting...

In regards to the bases, I like both styles. I hope that's ok. :lol

But speaking about the Twilight Witchking, the more I look at the Sideshow Maquette, the less and less I like it. I wasn't a huge fan of the Weta version but given the choice, I would pick it over the Maquette. Specifically I really don't like the skin tone and hair.

...Besides, the Witch King in trueform didn't walk on any grass. He was walking on the stone of Weathertop. So the factual innacuracy would be sure to put me off ;)...

That's not entirely true. There is plenty of grass, weeds, moss, etc. growing on top of and between the cracks in the stone of Weathertop so chances are he did step on some. :lecture :)

...I am really happy with my Faramir that I've had for years and it goes perfectly with the old SSW pieces...we'll see what Weta does...If it's true 1/6 then I could see the entire old line get replaced...which sucks for the money that might get re-spent on already visited characters

Last edited:
Back