WETA returns to LOTR 1:6?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's absolutely brilliant!! I love how PJ and Philippa have a hand in Weta's statue designs,I had no idea that would be the case!

Just wish I could get over the bases,but I've tried and I can't...to me,Weta 1/6 scale "character" statues will always look like "ornaments" because of their bases...like statue's of Dogs/Birds that are scattered around my Grandfathers house...they have that "classic" type of look,which is why I will always prefer SS's character statue's.

To each his own,of course...and I'm sure there are several people who love the classic look of the Weta bases,but for me,they don't work....I am really hoping that with the new LOTR line they will consider doing more fitting "environment" type bases a la SS...because the statue's themselves are just beautiful,I have been particularly impressed with Bofur and of course,Azog.

I am definitely going to start collecting the environments though,they are absolutely stunning!! I love the barrel riders aswell so I want to get into them aswell....that's one of the best things about Weta,the variety of stuff is just awesome :)

i'm going to say it but i doubt there's a chance. mouth of sauron on steed!

5408530314_71269599bc.jpg

That is cool that they had ideas for some of the statues and that's what we ended up with. It's that kind of involvement that adds an extra special flavor to these statues. It's always going to be about the subject material first but these details just add to the love I have for them.

Exactly, they have a classic, museum-quality look, which is why they're better than Sideshow's over-the-top cartoony sculpts ;)

You forgot to say "in my opinion"...you say things like your opinion is absolute,which is really annoying.IMO the "classic" look of Weta bases is what makes them look plain and boring in comparison to SS's more detailed and decorative "environmental" bases....and just try and tell me that Weta's 1/6 Aragorn is in any way better than SS's PF...would give me a good laugh that :lol

Everyone is excited about Weta now,but believe me,when Sauron starts shipping,if he looks even close to how he looked at SDCC this year,I strongly believe it will be named the greatest statue that has ever been made for Middle-Earth.

The classic look of the Weta bases looks great within a collection. Over the course of the SSW line that line had so many great pieces. It is a fantastic line of statues and all the matching bases look great and how things look with The Hobbit statues is just fantastic. I expect the new Lord of the Rings like from them to blend in and be equally as awesome. Sideshow's line is a great line of statues as well. I love that with them you got some more environment to them. It helps add more life to the statue. They IMO work well within a mixed collection (I'm finally going to be able to show mine off soon). All that being said having the map of Middle-earth or Thorin's Map is pretty darn cool.

Regarding the bases, I can't help but think of the custom base someone made for the morgul lord and eowyn statues. Looked amazing and puts all retail bases to shame.

Regarding the bases, I can't help but think of the custom base someone made for the morgul lord and eowyn statues. Looked amazing and puts all retail bases to shame.
Amen to that! I agree 100 percent...the 'plain' bases are just that...plain. I love the grass, dirt, and spent blades of that Eowyn vs. Witchking base...amazing!

Who is looking at the bases in this image? :lol

My_LOTR_collection_group_zpsa4805403.jpg

But I do have a funny feeling Weta are going to add a little enviro to the classic bases in their new LOTR 1/6 statue line...would be a great way to go IMHO. :rock

Actually...I see a stark difference between the SSW Witchking and the SS Maquette version...if I were to pick...I go with SS version...because of the base mostly...it just COMPLETES the statue IMO.

Imagine if that running Orc had a couple rocks and a tuft of grass on the base with some blood or something on one of the rocks...now that would COMPLETE that statue IMO.

Actually...I see a stark difference between the SSW Witchking and the SS Maquette version...if I were to pick...I go with SS version...because of the base mostly...it just COMPLETES the statue IMO.

Imagine if that running Orc had a couple rocks and a tuft of grass on the base with some blood or something on one of the rocks...now that would COMPLETE that statue IMO.

:exactly: :goodpost: :lecture

This was my point exactly Geb...you've worded it much better than I did,it's pretty much exactly how I feel...the statue doesn't look complete without a decorative base IMO,and I can't look past that(although I have to admit I'm quite a serious perfectionist).

They look like the original base has been lost,someones found a black oval base,and just glued the statue onto that...admittedly,the ME/Thorin's map are nice touches,but IMO a bit of the surrounding environment the character is posed in really helps bring a statue to life and as you so excellently put it Geb,makes it complete :)

IMO the plain base accentuates the IMO's in my collection. But this is just my opinion :lecture

:lol

But yes, for me, less is more so plain/ minimal bases all the way :)

And as a side note, once we heard of WETA's possible offerings of 1/6 Hobbit figures at the S+F, we asked if they could do similar bases with the map of Bilbo. And guess what they did? :yess:

There's pro's and con's to both I guess depending on what you like. I'm kind of the fence rider I suppose in that I like both for different reasons.

I don't see the con's to be honest. It's as you say, personal preferences, and the understanding from us 'plainies' that the 'sculpties' need to feel they get more for their money :wink1:

One thing that the plain bases allow is more flexibility in setting up "scenes." Not that it would come up that often but for instance at the end of The Hobbit: AUJ both Thorin and Bilbo take turns facing off against Azog on his warg. So you could pose Azog against either one.

Now if they had gone and given Bilbo a Riddles of the Dark rock base then that wouldn't really work. Same with all the dwarves. You can have Kili preparing to aim his bow at any number of non-scene specific enemies now.

I don't see the con's to be honest. It's as you say, personal preferences, and the understanding from us 'plainies' that the 'sculpties' need to feel they get more for their money :wink1:

I understand people won't see any cons. I don't see the plain base as a con. I rather like it myself but I do understand how someone might want more environment to a base. So while it may all be personal preference it can still be a pro vs con as well.

One thing that the plain bases allow is more flexibility in setting up "scenes." Not that it would come up that often but for instance at the end of The Hobbit: AUJ both Thorin and Bilbo take turns facing off against Azog on his warg. So you could pose Azog against either one.

Now if they had gone and given Bilbo a Riddles of the Dark rock base then that wouldn't really work. Same with all the dwarves. You can have Kili preparing to aim his bow at any number of non-scene specific enemies now.

I'd agree with that. One base kind of focuses your imagination with the environment base while the other lets it run a bit wild. Plus as I said seeing the maps as bases is pretty darn cool.

When Dain on War Boar gets made, he will be taking down Azog and his pooch :lecture

(and probably my shelving :rotfl )

I much prefer the plain bases myself. I don't want to pay for sculpted rock/grass and the extra weight I could happily do without on glass shelves. I thought SS went over board on some pieces such as Gollum PF, Gandalf maquette.
But it's each to their own I suppose

You forgot to say "in my opinion"...you say things like your opinion is absolute,which is really annoying.IMO the "classic" look of Weta bases is what makes them look plain and boring in comparison to SS's more detailed and decorative "environmental" bases....and just try and tell me that Weta's 1/6 Aragorn is in any way better than SS's PF...would give me a good laugh that :lol

Everyone is excited about Weta now,but believe me,when Sauron starts shipping,if he looks even close to how he looked at SDCC this year,I strongly believe it will be named the greatest statue that has ever been made for Middle-Earth.

Must i really put imo after everything? It's clearly my opinion.

And you can't compare a 1/6 scale statue to a 1/4 scale PF. I'm not into PF's, but i do have the 1/6 scale SSW Aragorn statue. So yes, i'd absolutely take that over the PF.
You would, however, win the argument if you used Sideshow's Strider maquette. Awesome statue. Best Aragorn collectible available. imo ;)

And it's not because of what he's standing on.

Is there really a 'stark' difference? Looking at the photo, the inclusion of grass on the base is minimal. I still notice the statue more. And Weta's actual sculpt looks better, more realistic, and more accurate than Sideshow's.
imo ;)

Besides, the Witch King in trueform didn't walk on any grass. He was walking on the stone of Weathertop. So the factual innacuracy would be sure to put me off ;)
And any stone environment wouldn't really add to the piece. remember what the subject matter is, and focus on that. Having a black base allows you to concentrate on the actual character rather than place it in a certain scene or place.

The running 'orc', or Uruk-Hai scout swordsman looks stunning running on a black base. he could be anywhere, chasing anything. I'd hate it it if Weta had gone over the top and included some blood running pointlessly somewhere.
imo ;)

Back