WETA Gollum Character Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can get the SSW 1/6th Gollum on eBay for less than $100 usually. Or you can get the companion Smeagol for less than $5 usually. lol

You can get the SSW 1/6th Gollum on eBay for less than $100 usually. Or you can get the companion Smeagol for less than $5 usually. lol

Except neither one is 1/6th scale and neither one is particularly good IMO. :)

Except neither one is 1/6th scale and neither one is particularly good IMO. :)

I have to disagree with you on this one, I think they're both pretty good. :pfft: :lol But I was under the impression that they're both 1/6 to go along with the other SSW statues? What scale are they? They look proportional when displayed with the other statues.

I have to disagree with you on this one, I think they're both pretty good. :pfft: :lol But I was under the impression that they're both 1/6 to go along with the other SSW statues? What scale are they? They look proportional when displayed with the other statues.

Actually, I might be eating crow on this one. :monkey2 I just pulled out my TTT DVD set and Smeagol does appear to be 1/6th scale or pretty close to it, though there is no indication anywhere as to the actual scale. And the sculpt itself is actually pretty good, not on par with SS's Gollum/Smeagol PF mind you :monkey3, but pretty good all the same. I do however stick to my belief that the companion Gollum piece is awful [and not in a good way]....sub-par sculpt, lousy paint app's. :pfft: :wink1:

Last edited:
...not on par with SS's Gollum/Smeagol PF mind you :monkey3, but pretty good all the same.

My response to that is... :hi5: The PF is :yess:

...I do however stick to my belief that the comapnion Gollum piece is awful [and not in a good way]....sub-par sculpt, lousy paint app's. :pfft: :wink1:

I'm not going to argue because I sold mine a long time ago so I can't say for sure, but I don't remember thinking it was lousy. But then again, I can't remember what I did this morning either. :thud: :lol

Actually, I might be eating crow on this one. :monkey2 I just pulled out my TTT DVD set and Smeagol does appear to be 1/6th scale or pretty close to it, though there is no indication anywhere as to the actual scale. And the sculpt itself is actually pretty good, not on par with SS's Gollum/Smeagol PF mind you :monkey3, but pretty good all the same. I do however stick to my belief that the comapnion Gollum piece is awful [and not in a good way]....sub-par sculpt, lousy paint app's. :pfft: :wink1:

MMMMMMMMM.........Crow.............

drooling_homer.jpg

I liked them both but never felt Gollum/Smeagol was done 'properly'. I sold my Gollum as he used to sell for quite a bit and am happy with Smeagol (And the SSW bust and the SS diorama) until, hopefully, he gets a proper statue for The Hobbit.

Tim from Weta says there's not long to wait for news on the next 'character' statue!!
Personally, i'm hoping for mini dioramas that can hold more characters and big, epic scenes....

I liked them both but never felt Gollum/Smeagol was done 'properly'. I sold my Gollum as he used to sell for quite a bit and am happy with Smeagol (And the SSW bust and the SS diorama) until, hopefully, he gets a proper statue for The Hobbit.

I own both the SSW 1/4 Smeagol bust and 3/4 scale Gollum bust....and they are both excellent.....but I agree, I never felt as though SSW did justice to such an intrical character in terms of statue representation.

Tim from Weta says there's not long to wait for news on the next 'character' statue!!Personally, i'm hoping for mini dioramas that can hold more characters and big, epic scenes....

I'm confused.......didn't Weta specifically say Gollum was not part of the "character" line. :dunno

Tim from Weta says there's not long to wait for news on the next 'character' statue!!
Personally, i'm hoping for mini dioramas that can hold more characters and big, epic scenes....

Curious as to see how this plays out. I will get a piece or two but most of my collecting budge LOTR wise will be with SS maquette line I think.

I'm confused.......didn't Weta specifically say Gollum was not part of the "character" line. :dunno

I don't know...... all i know is we'll be getting more LOTR coolness :panic:

Hmm, maybe he isn't officially part of it because they ARE going the small diorama route....

That was my understanding talking to Tim at Comic-Con last year was Gollum wasn't part of this like but that could have changed.

That was my understanding talking to Tim at Comic-Con last year was Gollum wasn't part of this like but that could have changed.

No you are right there Josh, the Weta Gollum was produced mainly for visitors to the Weta cave. But was also available online to collectors. He was not part of the Weta character line, at least that is my understanding.

:duff
Bill

Curious as to see how this plays out. I will get a piece or two but most of my collecting budge LOTR wise will be with SS maquette line I think.

Personally, I'll be concentrating on SS's PF and maquette lines, and the Weta environment line myself. I honestly don't think a line featuring 1/12 scale characters is going to end well, as capturing likenesses and the proper amount of detailing is going to be extremely difficult if not impossible at such a small scale....I guess time will tell. :dunno

No you are right there Josh, the Weta Gollum was produced mainly for visitors to the Weta cave. But was also available online to collectors. He was not part of the Weta character line, at least that is my understanding.

:duff
Bill

Thats what I thought. Thank ya :duff

Personally, I'll be concentrating on SS's PF and maquette lines, and the Weta environment line myself. I honestly don't think a line featuring 1/12 scale characters is going to end well, as capturing likenesses and the proper amount of detailing is going to be extremely difficult if not impossible at such a small scale....I guess time will tell. :dunno

It will be interesting to see how it turns out when these start.

I honestly don't think a line featuring 1/12 scale characters is going to end well, as capturing likenesses and the proper amount of detailing is going to be extremely difficult if not impossible at such a small scale....I guess time will tell. :dunno

Yep, I tend to agree with you on the small scale issue Collin.
I'm not going to knock the 1/12 scale characters line just yet though.
Who know, Weta might surprise us and we'll both end up eating crow...and I hate eating crow :lol.

For me, PFs are my first love :love, closely followed by the maquettes :clap.
But I can see I may have to chose one over the other further down the line :( ...not just though :yess:.
(that's if SS don't make that decision for me).

Bill

Yep, I tend to agree with you on the small scale issue Collin.
I'm not going to knock the 1/12 scale characters line just yet though.
Who know, Weta might surprise us and we'll both end up eating crow...and I hate eating crow :lol.

For me, PFs are my first love :love, closely followed by the maquettes :clap.
But I can see I may have to chose one over the other further down the line :( ...not just though :yess:.
(that's if SS don't make that decision for me).

Bill

Crow is an acquired taste Bill, and having eaten enough of it myself I have actually grown quite fond of it. :monkey3 :lol But you're right, I too am taking a wait and see attitude....if Weta dazzles me with this line I will be more than happy to add it to my growing list of LOTR collectibles. :)

Crow is an acquired taste Bill, and having eaten enough of it myself I have actually grown quite fond of it. :monkey3 :lol But you're right, I too am taking a wait and see attitude....if Weta dazzles me with this line I will be more than happy to add it to my growing list of LOTR collectibles. :)

That's the spirit! :lol

Bill

Not wanted to get more of lord, but maybe gollum will be a good adquisicion.

Back