WETA Gollum Character Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this is just a standalone?

That is what I hear...basically (according to Weta's own Tim Launder), this statue was never intended to be part of this new Characters line, but it MIGHT become part of it....however unlikely. It is intended as an Open Edition statue (unsure of the licensing involved if this is the case) with an EXCLUSIVE to Weta Cave Visitors.

More to come from Tim as we learn more!

Geb

That is what I hear...basically (according to Weta's own Tim Launder), this statue was never intended to be part of this new Characters line, but it MIGHT become part of it....however unlikely. It is intended as an Open Edition statue (unsure of the licensing involved if this is the case) with an EXCLUSIVE to Weta Cave Visitors.

More to come from Tim as we learn more!

Geb

Great marketing strategy....I'm sure that won't tick off any collectors. :monkey3

It seems it may well be a one off with the Weta cave ex having a small weta bug attached. The new 'character' line has yet to be announced and marketed, so no expectations there. And if and when it does ,I don't doubt it will be marketed with a bit more open and honest information than we currently get. :wink1:

Woodsy can we just put you down for hating all future Weta releases and save us all the negativity and sarcasm?

I was at SDCC and didn't really even stop to look twice at this piece on display. Can't say I was distracted by other things on display, not a whole lot of rings stuff going on anywhere this year. So I guess this isn't a stellar review from me then.

Really a nice piece. Great job by Weta on this one. Interested to see where this line will go.

Woodsy can we just put you down for hating all future Weta releases and save us all the negativity and sarcasm?
I was at SDCC and didn't really even stop to look twice at this piece on display. Can't say I was distracted by other things on display, not a whole lot of rings stuff going on anywhere this year. So I guess this isn't a stellar review from me then.

If providing an excl. for a statue means having to travel to New Zealand to get it is your idea of a great marketing strategy then I'd hate to think what you consider a bad marketing strategy. :cuckoo:
And guess what, I'd say the exact same thing about SS if they provided an excl. where you have to travel to their headquarters in CA to get it.

Now if you're looking for a place where gumdrops grow on trees, and you can kiss Weta's a** all day long, I'd suggest you sit your pompous, elitist a** elsewhere....that's not going to happen here. :nono

If providing an excl. for a statue means having to travel to New Zealand to get it is your idea of a great marketing strategy then I'd hate to think what you consider a bad marketing strategy. :cuckoo:
And guess what, I'd say the exact same thing about SS if they provided an excl. where you have to travel to their headquarters in CA to get it.

Now if you're looking for a place where gumdrops grow on trees, and you can kiss Weta's a** all day long, I'd suggest you sit your pompous, elitist a** elsewhere....that's not going to happen here. :nono

Pompous and elitist, this coming from the guy that feels the need to expound upon every hint of release that hits the internet. Why do you bother with this hobby if you hate it so much? You are one of the most negative people on this board, and that speaks volumes in an area where people seem fit to criticize every nuance of every piece.

As for the gumdrops and ass kissing comment, I did say I didn't even take note of this piece in person didn't I. That is a totally unfair characterization that makes me seem like a sycophant. I tend not to be overly critical of SS or Weta and could go on about both (400 dollars book ends anyone?)

Last edited:
Oh no here we go!

This 'exclusive' isn't really an exclusive..... it's a small model of a Weta on Gollums rock. Nothing related to lotr, but related to Weta, and in particular New Zealand, so i say that's fair enough. I'm not really interested in a Weta (as in the bug native to New Zealand) exclusive and i doubt many fans will be crying over it either. If someone WOULD really want it, all they've got to do is ask someone in NZ to get one for them and ship it over :dunno

4817547330_763d2df625_b.jpg

4832738213_d5f73714ba_b.jpg

4832738285_63556a6aa8_b.jpg

4833347152_c17bdcd8e1_b.jpg

1/12 wow these guys will fit right in the environments :p

I'll stick to PF, but beautiful WETA work as always. Wish it were 1/4

Great pics there gabber...thanks for sharing! Looks like a nice sculpt...just wish we had some definitive word on what this is slated to be and what this rumored 'characters' line is supposed to encompass!

It seems it may well be a one off with the Weta cave ex having a small weta bug attached. The new 'character' line has yet to be announced and marketed, so no expectations there. And if and when it does ,I don't doubt it will be marketed with a bit more open and honest information than we currently get. :wink1:

Weta said that they have an overwhelming number of requests for something Gollum related and tangible that visitors can take from the Cave; the EX (if it really is such) will have the Weta Cave logo and a small weta crawling on the back.

No real issue I don't think ... and now back to everyone's scheduled _____ing.:cuckoo:

Weta said that they have an overwhelming number of requests for something Gollum related and tangible that visitors can take from the Cave; the EX (if it really is such) will have the Weta Cave logo and a small weta crawling on the back.

Sounds like a nice little piece of LOTR memorabilia from the original crafters. I will be pleading with my NZ collectors to try and get me one, but I'm not so good at that.

Guess I'm a miserable pleader :wave

The 'exclusive' is just a small plaque added to the back of the statue with a tiny Weta bug. So really it's not an exclusive in the traditional sense of the world as we are used to from SS, it's just a nice memento for anyone who makes it over to the Weta cave. Sort of a nice reminder of their visit. No big deal :peace

https://www.wetacollectors.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1276531#post1276531

I hardly think that it is uncalled for either, you make all the effort of travelling to NZ and visiting the Weta Cave; it is only right.

:duff

I wish this was a little bigger, closer to 1/9th scale or so. I would have loved to display it with the Sideshow "Mount Doom" piece. (Sam carrying Frodo up Mt. Doom.)

I think the difference in scale might not look good, though.

Back