Weta Argonath Enviro up for pre order

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I would expect that this is the same as the FOTR EE bookends but in the full original environment they were meant to be in. Everyone had a conniption when this was not released in favor of the bookends. Now that Weta is making this available, I expect that the true diehards and environment collectors will be the ones chasing after this. Yours truly being one of them. For me the bookends were mere trinkets. This one will have more details for discussion.

The "trinkets" are exactly what you're getting, along with some additional polystone and sculpting. I'm not trying to knock this piece, as I really like it, but this piece is certainly not like going from the SS/Weta "Minas Tirith" to the Danbury Mint "Minas Tirith", in terms of size increase and further detailing.

(Which by the way, cost $100.00 a couple of years ago and had the lighting effects, regardless if thought of as cheesy or not...)

I considered myself a "diehard environment collector" as well, being that it was the line that pulled me into the SS/Weta line. I guess I'm not as diehard as you, I suppose.

And for me the bookends were a loon executive's mad idea of a good idea. T'was a butchering of a beautiful sculpt! Those bookends simply cannot compare with the full thing. The boats give it a real sense of scale.

I agree 100% with you. THIS was the way the Argonath should have been done from the beginning. But if you think the "boats" are going to be anything more than a tiny blob of painted polystone, you are in for some disappointment.

Again, I don't wish to come across as negative with the piece. I think it looks fantastic for what it is. I simply only expected the price to be somewhat lower.

For the price they're asking I'm content with the bookends. Easy, easy pass.

That basically where I stand at the moment as well, unfortunately.

I really like it, but I'm happy with my bookends even though they are getting bashed as per usual

I never had a problem with the bookends, either. I certainly would have preferred this piece but not at this price.

*sigh*
i'm seriously considering canceling this after really thinking about the size and comparing it to the bookends.
i love my bookends.

i'd pay good money for this again..
but it SHOULD be bigger for this price..

damn.. i hate to do it.. but yeah, i think i'm gonna have to back out of this now. :(
Not peer pressure or anything.. but the more i think about it? The less i need it.

I'd much rather save up incase they do another orthanc. Or at least save to buy one of the originals for a bazillion dollars..

I would probably not be holding my breath for another Orthanc at this point:

Hi Malice

We are open to all suggestions for new pieces. We love creating them. We will be guided by all of you as to which pieces would be most popular ?

We do need to be careful about producing new pieces which are similar to previously sold out pieces. We do not want to annoy those collectors who have already purchased the sold out items.

Of course, we can only keep creating new pieces, if the initial pieces are selling well. So we really hope The Argonath is popular (so far sales are going very well)

Cheers

Tim
https://www.wetacollectors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34076

I had one on order. My credit card expired between order time and ship time. I went on vacation and got back to see that they had tried to contact me to get it updated so they could ship it, but the order was cancelled.

Now their online system is much improved (and I have an iPhone for e-mail on the go), but at the time I missed out on a great piece--and next thing you know, it was selling for a grand.

It will be the first piece I track down for myself the day I win the lottery.

If I win the lottery.. i'll buy us all one!

But yeah..
that kinda means i'd have to play it first..

better get on that then! :(

I'm having this same sorrow over the shards of narsil, which i've been trying to get ahold of forever.. yet it always slips through my fingers..

But if you think the "boats" are going to be anything more than a tiny blob of painted polystone, you are in for some disappointment.

Oh don't worry i'm not expecting to see the Fellowship in the boats! I just think they're a nice detail to have extra, to give a sense of scale for the Argonath.

The environment is also different from the bookends because Isildurs arm is where it should be, at an angle and not by his side! ;) The statues also look better themselves, just compare the two images:

https://www.wetacollectors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34063&page=8

It's also been pointed out on the Weta forum that the Mines of Moria were $200 aswell, and had about the same dimensions. Sure, you can get them for cheaper, but compare the ES:
Moria: - 4,000
Argonath: - 500

Oh don't worry i'm not expecting to see the Fellowship in the boats! I just think they're a nice detail to have extra, to give a sense of scale for the Argonath.

The environment is also different from the bookends because Isildurs arm is where it should be, at an angle and not by his side! ;) The statues also look better themselves, just compare the two images:

https://www.wetacollectors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34063&page=8

It's also been pointed out on the Weta forum that the Mines of Moria were $200 aswell, and had about the same dimensions. Sure, you can get them for cheaper, but compare the ES:
Moria: - 4,000
Argonath: - 500

:lol You know I never noticed that about the arm before FE, thanks for that! :rock

Totally agree on all your other points as well, times have changed with prices and this sits about right for me and TBH I just need to own this piece anyway :lol

This will be my second enviro (Trolls being the first :joy) and I am really looking forward to it. The book ends are nice but not nearly as detailed as these pieces.

If you look carefully at the picture for about 20minutes without blinking, you can actually see Gollum floating past on his log :rotfl

I just ordered....

Hopefully the system is working and it means im one of the lucky 500 people to get this one...

Back