Statue Weta Announces Barad-Dur

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:yess: Gorgeous, just gorgeous! And that base! :thud:

Btw, you can see Orthanc in the background on the right. It seems to be quite a bit smaller, though it is positioned lower so it's hard to tell exactly.

We need more pics!!!:)

I agree this looks awesome but I am shocked they have so much flat base in the front. Seems that would add lots of weight and cost with little payoff. Definite buy nonetheless. Can anyone rationalize why they have so much flat black there?

Can anyone rationalize why they have so much flat black there?

My guess is that the base needs to be rather thick to be able to make the moat around the fortress.
I do agree that it could have some rock texture added to it but then again the Bag End exclusive
just had a lot of black in the "cut through"...

As for size (height), I read somewhere that Tim from Weta mentioned that it would be 55cm high :)

EDIT:

Realized now that you probably mean the plain "ground part" in front of the fortress? My guess is that
they wanted to keep the oval shaped base to be consistent with the other environments and poly
figures. (If the base would obmit the plain ground it looks like it would be almost round(?)) I think it
looks great and the plain ground somehow "balances out" the proportions of the overall collectible.
It may even be somewhat hollow and not add much to the weight.

Last edited:
Found this in the Barad-dûr thread on The Shadow and Flame:

cur8sg3f.jpg
Too awesome :rock :rock
x :)

Beautiful! Gorgeous! :horror

Loving it! :yess:

We need more pics! Close ups! Wide angles! Medium shots! And preferably one with a human in the foreground for some scale!

This is a good day.

:thud::thud::thud::thud::thud::thud::thud:

I also wondered about the big base.... yes it needs to be that deep for the moat, and i'm glad they have a bit of 'nothing', as it IS the land of shadow after all!

No they didn't do a sculpted eye. But Weta did release a free smartphone app that apparently plugs in a CG eye when you look at the statue through your phone's camera.

I think.

Haven't seen any pictures of anybody using the app yet.

Well this is a statue of a building,if the eye was included it would be solid,and would look nothing like the eye in the films,personally i think it looks better without :)

Back