Statue Weta Announces Barad-Dur

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Latest FB post from Weta suggests it won't work until you are at their booth at SDCC.
Dang, right where they'd be displaying Barud-Dur... so maybe it won't come with a physical eye, afterall. :monkey2 Will be interesting to find out, that's for sure.

Dave Tremont just confirmed over on S&f that this will be 55cm tall

"Barad-dur is about 55cm tall and the magic number was 12.66. That was worked out by deciding how big the collectible is going to be and dividing that into how big the studio miniature is… or to how much of the rockscape, under Barad-dur we built. We had to keep its height reasonable and there is a lot of rock under it that did not really need to be shown so to keep the tower as large as possible, we lessened the rock."

22"?! :yess:

I was hoping this would fall somewhere between 22" and 24", so this is AMAZING. Right now I have the Orthanc Pre-Ruin on the shelf next to my GTG PF, and I was thinking that Barad-Dur would be perfect if it was about as tall as the brim of Gandy's hat. Well, I just measured it...22"!!! :hi5:

And with the width and mass of the bottom of the tower, this thing is going to look HUGE and the detail will be INCREDIBLE! So glad I dumped my Danbury version last year. That one even seemed pretty decent in size for a time, and what was it, like 13.5" tall?! :wink1:

Having once owned Rivendell (sold a numbered because I couldn't say no to the money then) I am very impressed that BD is supposed to be more intricate. Rivendell is complex. At this size this piece should be great. Price-wise, Orthanc was a fair 250 so I am guessing 329-349 here??

Having once owned Rivendell (sold a numbered because I couldn't say no to the money then) I am very impressed that BD is supposed to be more intricate. Rivendell is complex. At this size this piece should be great. Price-wise, Orthanc was a fair 250 so I am guessing 329-349 here??

That's about what I was thinking. The only thing I could see knocking that price down a few bucks would be the fact that it's a far less complicated paint job than Rivendell (black with black highlights :lol). But, that said, the size and complexity of this sculpt might end up outweighing that.

Hmm ...

barad-dur.jpg

is this another sdcc exclusive?

Weta are forgetting there fans who can't go!:monkey2

Back