Well they finally got me (update)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Well they finally got me

Thanks everyone.

Yeah Im not sure if Insurance pays you retail or collectible value. I guess Ill find out. Lucky for me Silver Surfer goes for less than retail so I actually made money on this deal ::snicker::

But at any rate, besides my fiancee losing her jewelry which I feel REALLY bad about, this was a good learning experience. It couldve been much worse and now I know I need to step up and get a good alarm/dog/shotgun.

Weird thing is, I kinda new something like this was bound to happen just for having high profile stuff, hence the title of this thread, but yet wasnt smart enough to help prevent it. So I kinda feel like I got off easy and learned a good lesson. I had my head in the sand and paid for it. Such is life.

Wow. That is pricey! For us, the alarm was around $250 for the year. Then, the insurance company reimbursed us $65 for having it, so it's actually less than $200. I just tested it for the first time today, and folks will definitely know if someone breaks in after about 40 seconds. Should be a pretty good deterrent I hope.

You do get what you pay for, not all services are the same. We have a loud enough alarm that you can easily hear it from well outside the home and ONLY off duty police show up when responding; I don't mind the monthly fee.

You do get what you pay for, not all services are the same. We have a loud enough alarm that you can easily hear it from well outside the home and ONLY off duty police show up when responding; I don't mind the monthly fee.
I don't know about which cops show up, but when I tested it today the alarm was loud as hell outside. You could hear it three blocks away.

Not sure with homeowners but I rent and made sure my individual statues were covered. I have each listed on my policy. It is nice cause accidental damage is also covered.

so how does that work though? would an insurance company want receipts of everything? pictures? would they give you what you paid for it, or what say retail was on Sideshows site? How would custom pieces work? So many questions cause i have always been paranoid about this kind of thing, but the only one in my neighborhood that knows i collect this stuff is the UPS guy :panic:. Most of my friends actually have no idea what i collect.

Holy crap..... I wonder if they can trace the burglars by any chance?

Well, I'm really sorry to hear all this... But you seem to have a great mindset of "glass half full" after this. That's key. And I'm really glad that no one in your family was harmed.

So how much will your insurance reimburse you?

Man, sorry to hear, that really sucks.

Like you said, the most valued possesions, your family, is safe.

Here is to a speedy recovery and to these ****** bags being found!

:duff

so how does that work though? would an insurance company want receipts of everything? pictures? would they give you what you paid for it, or what say retail was on Sideshows site? How would custom pieces work? So many questions cause i have always been paranoid about this kind of thing, but the only one in my neighborhood that knows i collect this stuff is the UPS guy :panic:. Most of my friends actually have no idea what i collect.

It depends on the insurance provider, and the type of policy.

For proof of ownership, some will accept photos or a video of your valuables (shown in your home), along with an itemized list and receipts (for things bought from Sideshow, your account history should be adequate purchase proof). Some companies/policies will also require some type of appraisal for rare/valuable items.

As far as what they will pay, some policies only cover the price you originally paid for the item, while some offer full replacement cost.

Sorry to hear that j :(...And the rat bastards took Dolphins stuff too!!!!! :monkey4:monkey4:monkey4

I worry about this happening to me all the time.

For proof of ownership, some will accept photos or a video of your valuables (shown in your home), along with an itemized list and receipts (for things bought from Sideshow, your account history should be adequate purchase proof). Some companies/policies will also require some type of appraisal for rare/valuable items.

As far as what they will pay, some policies only cover the price you originally paid for the item, while some offer full replacement cost.

Pretty much what Robo said.

Mine currently covers what I paid and I gave them the retail price of each piece. If I wanted a fair market value, they would give it to me but it would require and appraisal. I keep photos and my account history/paypal receipts and they said that is adequate enough for proof of purchase.

Thanks for the insurance breakdown. I've been meaning to get renter's insurance, but felt that it wouldn't cover the collectibles. I might just look into getting both renter's and collector's insurance. I use Bento (database inventory program) to keep track of everything I own.

Thanks for the insurance breakdown. I've been meaning to get renter's insurance, but felt that it wouldn't cover the collectibles. I might just look into getting both renter's and collector's insurance. I use Bento (database inventory program) to keep track of everything I own.

Just an FYI, I was able to go through the same insurance company I use for my car as well as my renters it was just an added cost to individually insure items. Since my statues didn't fit into one of their predefined categories it was $0.35 per $100 for the year. So I pay less than $20ish a year for full coverage on my statues.

I am really sorry to hear. I always worry when I leave my place. Even though it's a great community, you can't put anything past people these days. We have renters insurance AND an alarm system for our apt. Even if it is false security, it helps a bit.

I hope that you can replace your lost items. I REALLY hope you can find the guys and *insert something to do to them here*

Pretty much what Robo said.

Mine currently covers what I paid and I gave them the retail price of each piece. If I wanted a fair market value, they would give it to me but it would require and appraisal. I keep photos and my account history/paypal receipts and they said that is adequate enough for proof of purchase.

i looked into it a little more and found out we have insurance for full replacement, so thats good to know, except for the fact that some things are just not replaceable, like in this case with the jewelry.

Your wife must be devastated about loosing the family heirlooms.

Sorry to hear. Though, I am glad to hear that most of your amazing collection is still intact.

Just a word of caution, how can you set up an alarm system with a new dog walking around the house?
Our cats never set off our motion detectors; maybe it has to do with how low to the floor they detect?

i looked into it a little more and found out we have insurance for full replacement, so thats good to know, except for the fact that some things are just not replaceable, like in this case with the jewelry.

That is one of the two worst parts of being burglarized (the other being the feeling of having been violated). And the only thing you can do to make it bearable is to keep telling yourself that it is just "stuff". The important part, the memories associated with the "stuff", can't be taken from you. I know that is small consolation, but having been through this myself, it's the only thing that worked for me (well, that and fantasizing about having the perp alone for five minutes with a baseball bat ;)).

If you have any pawn shops around you, make sure you get the word to them about your stuff. Not sure how much it will help, but it wouldn't hurt.

Back