WATCHMEN: The DVD/Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey whats up guys? I was looking over the last couple post and saw some request for pics of the Amazon Special Edition w/ the Owl Ship. I got mine prior to Comic Con, but was super busy w/ the show that I didn't have time to check the thread or post images. I bought the Blu Ray version. It's in a plastic clear case, which shows the whole thing w/out having to remove it from the packaging. I'm still debating wether or not to remove it from the packaging because it looks great as it is and I bought the regular Blu Ray to watch & the Best Buy exclusive also. Sorry in advance that the pics are not out of the package:peace. Here are a couple of pics.

DSC07638.jpg

DSC07640.jpg

DSC07645.jpg

DSC07641.jpg

DSC07663.jpg

DSC07667.jpg

DSC07673.jpg

DSC07647.jpg

DSC07661.jpg

If you don't take it out, you can't see it lit up! That's what's cool about it! I'm happy with mine, but like I said, I don't really like the packaging that well.

If you don't take it out, you can't see it lit up! That's what's cool about it! I'm happy with mine, but like I said, I don't really like the packaging that well.

Prior to receiving it. The plan was to take it out and display it. Once I got it in hand though it looked good enough to leave in the package. I'm still thinking about it though. I don't have my watchmen collectibles set up yet(all the figures are boxed up as of now). So maybe once I get everything in a glass case I'll take it out. Can you take a picture of yours with the lights on? Also, what is the sound effect it makes? Thanks.

Prior to receiving it. The plan was to take it out and display it. Once I got it in hand though it looked good enough to leave in the package. I'm still thinking about it though. I don't have my watchmen collectibles set up yet(all the figures are boxed up as of now). So maybe once I get everything in a glass case I'll take it out. Can you take a picture of yours with the lights on? Also, what is the sound effect it makes? Thanks.

The packaging opens up and you can put it right back in. You don't have to tear or break anything. The sound it makes is just it decending or taking off or hovering, I'm not sure. Just the basic ship running sound. As for the picture, sorry can't do.

At last I was able to watch the Director's Cut yesterday...
All I gotta say is:
Wow!!! :rock!!!
The movie is so much better with all the little extra elements...
Amazing!!! I liked the movie a lot in theaters, but I absolutely LOVE
this version!!
Can't wait for the Ultimate one coming out in Dec!! :rock!

I don't know if anyone else came across this problem, but I had a hard time playing this blu-ray disc in my player. I bought one from Amazon, and it refused to play, but the special features disc would. So, I returned it and got another. After several attempts, it did play, but still acts up every now and then. All other blu-ray discs play fine, so there has to be something with the Watchmen discs, I would think...? Perhaps it's the length of the movie that just overwhelms the player? Blu-rays can take a bit to load.

Whoa, maybe I'm behind the times here, but I just noticed Watchmen: The Ultimate Cut releases next Tuesday! There's been absolutely no fanfare or marketing for this thing that I'm aware of, so seeing this caught me off guard. This is the version that melds the Director's Cut with Tales of the Black Freighter, correct? Boy am I glad I just bought that PS3 last week. Blu-ray Ultimate Watchmen here I come!

Man, next week is going to be an intense bit of punishment on the wallet for DVDs/BDs: Watchmen: TUC, Star Wars: Clone Wars Season 1, GI JOE: Resolute, GI JOE: Season 1.2...hell, maybe even GI JOE: ROC if I'm feeling like abusing myself.

I'm skipping the ultimate cut. I already have Black Freighter and Under the Hood, and I don't think BF will be that great added into the movie.

The release date was officially pushed back but it seems like Wal-Mart has put it out chain-wide. I scored a copy there.

I loved the new footage with the 2 Bernies and "Freighter" really works when integrated into the film. As far as I'm concerned its the definitive cut of the movie.

Normally extended/director's cuts suffer from pacing issues but since the episodic nature of the material makes that an issue regardless of how much footage is there I honestly don't think the theatrical cut is paced any better than the DC or the UC.

The film is going to be oddly-paced regardless of which cut you watch so if you have 3 hours and 36 minutes to spare you can't beat the Ultimate Cut. "Watchmen" is the rare movie where the "everything but the kitchen sink" approach really works.

Also, I don't think there's really any "preferred" cut either. I don't think Snyder necessarily prefers the "director's cut", I think that was a marketing buzzword at best. The director's cut would have been the theatrical cut if not for Imax's technical restrictions. Snyder had to cut things like the Mason murder to get the film to physically fit on an Imax reel and at the same time the Black Freighter stuff was always destined for a longer cut.

Having seen the whole thing I think it's an amazing achievement. I don't think a better "Watchmen" adaptation is possible and "Watchmen" gets my vote for the "Blade Runner" of the 00's.

I just ordered the Ultimate Cut on BD from Amazon for $30. Most stores are selling it today for $50+, so I figured I got a decent deal.

Okay, so I did shell out the dough previously for Tales of the Black Freighter, The Director's Cut AND the Motion Comic... but those were all on DVD. Due to my recent upgrade to Blu ray, I feel I can justify it as an HD upgrade (and someone in my family is getting a Watchmen DVD package this xmas...heh). That's what I keep telling myself, so just go with it. :eek:

I'm curious as to how well cutting TBF in and out works, but once I heard there was additional Kovacs footage I was hitting that BUY button faster than I could think.

Thanks for the review, GuruAskew. I hope I share your enthusiasm!

Back