WATCHMEN: The DVD/Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishJedi

Super Freak
Reaction score
Officially announced today...

Released July 21st (SDCC week! :rock) on Single-disc (Theatrical Cut) and 2-Disc (Director's Cut) DVD & Blu-ray.

This will be the initial release. Ultimately, there will be the "Absolute Edition", with the Black Freighter, more two Bernies, etc cut into it and tons more Bonus Materials.

Anyway, here are the covers and specs:

SINGLE-DISC THEATRICAL CUT (DVD):
watchmen-dvd-release-widescreen.jpg

DIRECTOR'S CUT & BLU-RAY:
watchmen-dvd-release-directors-cut.jpg

watchmen-dvd-blu-ray-directors-cut.jpg

watchmen_dvd.jpg

Glenn at WCM got the inside scoop on the Special Features:

News just broke this week on when fans can expect the Watchmen DVDs to hit stores, and on the heels of that announcement some more details about the Blu-ray Director's Cut release popped up… but the fans are eager and they still want to know more.

Knowing how you fans have counted on me to provide you with the latest Watchmen news, I didn't want to let you down now, even though lately there hasn't been much happening in the Watchmen world.

So I reached out to Eric Matthies of E.M.P. who is in charge of producing and compiling all of the extra features on the various Watchmen DVD releases and he shed some more light on what we can all expect to see on those discs this coming July. Here's a rundown…

“Watchmen: Focus Points” will be, as Matthies describes, a “2.0” version of the production journals that were released in the months leading up to the film’s release. Most of the content will be the same, however they will be re-edited to contain elements that if were included when these journals were originally released, would have shown too much, too soon.

“The Phenomenon: The Comic that Changed Comics” will be an in-depth look at the Watchmen comic series and will have several interviews with some of the staff at DC Comics as well as some others.

We interviewed Lev Grossman from Time [Magazine] for a couple of the pieces on the DVD and he's great — the guy who put the book on the Top 100 list, really knowledgeable and well spoken.

“Real Super Heroes, Real Vigilantes” was an idea that started back when we were in Vancouver, out of a conversation about the fact that there really are folks who dress in costume and go out to fight crime. Growing public interest in this topic is apparent in recent CNN and Rolling Stone stories about these people. We took it a bit further and interviewed experts in law enforcement and psychology to explore the history of vigilantism and it's ramifications. It was an important piece to Debbie Snyder and I think we did it justice — er, no pun intended.

:rock :rock :rock

Much more here: https://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/051209-watchmen-dvd-release-features.php

This new "Maximum Movie Mode" on the Blu-ray promises to be pretty amazing:

But one of the more exciting and revolutionary features Matthies has worked on is “Maximum Movie Mode” which has been underreported as a simple split-screen director's commentary. Matthies explains that we should expect much, much more…

…we worked on the Maximum Movie Mode with the amazing team at One-K studios. MMM (which isn't what it was called during production, so I can't confirm that is the real name of this feature) is actually much more robust than just a 'split screen video commentary', it digs into the film, starts, stops, zooms, highlights, breaks away to detailed sidebar videos, includes stills, and bts clips — all with Zack as your guide — it's pretty freakin' cool and it will be the type of feature you'll see continuing to develop on other titles — awesome that Watchmen gets to be the first!

:rock :rock :rock

The Special editions box art is pretty cool, but i was expecting something a bit less busy looking....

Is there any news on the "uber cut" weve been hearing about that includes the BF stuff with new scenes???

I wonder if the BD will include the theatrical version in 1080p, and not just on a digital copy.

I believe it will be both.

The Absolute Edition won't be released until sometime in 2010, at the earliest.

That's what I initially thought, but the pronounced "Director's Cut" and no mention of the theatrical version on the front cover had me wondering. And I thought the Absolute Cut was gonna be out by December?

Watchmen: The End Is Nigh (the disappointing Watchmen brawler) is getting packed in with a special-edition Blu-Ray set: https://kotaku.com/5264477/playstation-3-getting-the-total-watchmen-experience

w00t, I say! The demo wasn't terrible, but it wasn't anything I was going to spend $20 an episode for 3 episodes on. Packed in with the movie? If the price is right, I'll get it.

Sorry 360-only guys, this is a PS3 exclusive.

They're also releasing the complete game as a $20 disc at retail on 360 only, with some other kind of incentive supposedly.

Doesn't matter, though. I'm getting the Blu-ray for the MMM feature alone.

Watchmen was a great movie and I can't wait to own it, but does anyone have a link to a website where I can check out the different versions coming out?

Is the upcoming "Director's Cut" blu ray going to get any "Limited Edition Collector's Gift Set ", like TDK bat-pod set or the Batman Begins set with the special packaging? Maybe an in-store exclusive with unique packaging? Or will WB wait to do something special with the "Absolute Cut"? I'm a sucker for gift sets, and really hope the initial version of Watchmen gets something similar.

Paramount is distributing the UK's Blu-Ray version, which is the Theatrical cut only.
Warner are only bringing out the Directors cut on Blu-ray.
The Region A and B versions might have different Transfers as well.
I will get the Theatrical Blu-Ray version then see if you guys like the Directors cut, and if all's well and good and that version works on my PS3 I will import it.
Hopefully our version will be Multi platform too.

Back