Warhammer 40k?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CelticPredator

Super Freak
Reaction score
I have a lot of friends who are getting into this. I don't know anything about the game or anything...but dammnit, those little models look badass.

I'm considering starting an army.

Anyone here play, want to give tips? Maybe do's and don'ts?

It's all so new to me...i'm scared. :monkey3

I was also new to it, I just happen to see dorgmal's kits of the marines and loved it. The game is not bad, I want to try the one for the 360.

My older brother is into this stuff. He collects the Chaos Space Marines. I bought him these guys last Christmas. Ihey were pretty expensive.

Chaos_Defiler.jpg

m1252614_99120102021_ChaosTermmain_873x627.jpg

Buy the main rulebook, read it
Find an army you like the look of, buy the army book. Read it.
If you like it, then buy build and paint.

Start small. 500 points. This keeps you from greeting too far into an army, and finding you don't like how they play.

It's more expensive than 1/6th. Get ready.

I also noticed that last point.

I already found my guys. The Necrons. Because no one has them. Since they're so new.

I remember coming across an image online of these "Necron" things that I absolutely loved..I believe it was related to some "Warhammer" thing, lemme try and find the pic..

Here it is:
m1184494_99120110001_NecronWarriorsBox_445x319.jpg

I remember when I first saw this pic, my imagination took off..

"What if these could be the reason the Space Jockeys created the Xenomorphs? What if these were the creatures they were in war with? What if I made up some huge story all about it.."

..that'd be awesome.

Haha. That's funny.

But yeah. I already bought one. And he's mostly painted. He's in at my home, and im out of state at the moment. So no pics till I get back.

I also noticed that last point.

I already found my guys. The Necrons. Because no one has them. Since they're so new.

Lolololololololol

Necrons are definitely NOT new. They were my first army 6 or 7 years ago.
However, they did just get a new codex. They are or are about to be the new flavor of the month. EVERYONE will be playing them for a while.

So, wtf is this? You buy models, paint them, and they come to life and fight other people's? :lol

..someone explain it to meh.

Pro tip: go to ebay/craigslist/kijiji and buy used:lecture

Warhammer is too bloody expensive and it gets more expensive every year (Yearly price increase whither they need it or not, hidden costs such as reducing number of models in a box while increasing price as well as the new mark up on the resin models which many are identical to the metal model but the resin cost more)

Lolololololololol

Necrons are definitely NOT new. They were my first army 6 or 7 years ago.
However, they did just get a new codex. They are or are about to be the new flavor of the month. EVERYONE will be playing them for a while.

Ok whatever. They were labeled as new releases or some ____. They were in that magazine that's like 20 bucks. Maybe they're not new, but they made new ones.

And in my circle of friends, no one has them. So that's all that matters. :lol

Im never going to play with those greasy pony tailed freaks. :lol

My brother is hugely into this he works for a little independent shop here in the UK & spends thousands every year on the little plastic crack!! :dunno

Currently he's starting a Necron Army & has just finished an Orc army (He has more or less one army for every codex...he's freaking mental!!!)

So, wtf is this? You buy models, paint them, and they come to life and fight other people's? :lol

..someone explain it to meh.

Right in simple terms as I understand it...

Table Top Battles you & your oppenent build an army based on a points system (Each Figure, Vehicle, Weapon etc. has a points value & are used to total the army...general armies are around 2000 points & that will be a pretty large force)

You have turns.
In each turn you...Move your army / Attack if in range / Close Combat if in range / any special rules
Your Turn Ends

Opponent does the same

Each take turns up to a turn limit (6 at most I think) or until objective reached (Kill enemy / capture target etc.)

Game over.

Thats my VERY basic understanding but I'm sure someone else will be able to explain in much more depht & point out where I'm totally wrong ;) :rotfl:rotfl

The combat is where it gets difficult.
Every character has a weapon skill / Strength Rating / Armour Save / Amount of attacks
These are resolved with dice roles & then the opponent counters using his saving throws to see if his men take wounds / die / vehicle blows up etc.

It really can be bloody involved & really needs to be played to be understood.
Reading the rules makes absolutely no sense unless your playing it as you read it.

It can be fun but the whole building / painting process can take forever & the games can run for hours once you get proper tactical & take out huge armies.

Personally I always preferred Battle Fleet Gothic, Necromunda & Blood Bowl.
All are much easier & LOADS quicker

Neil

I have played this for years but I stopped a few years ago and have been slowly starting back up with a Deathwing Army (very slow).

The game is very expensive and they are slow to release updated codexs sometimes.

Before you buy anything, read as much as you can on the game to make sure you would like it or find a local hobby shop or Games Workshop and watch some matches.

Also when choosing an army, I find it is better to choose an army you like based on the models, their fluff and what style you want to play. Don't choose an army because someone tells you they are the best, it all depends on your play style builds and who has the most up to date codex.

Sounds like Yu-gi-oh and Stratego combined.

If I could afford it, I would definitely check it out...

Back