War of the Planet of the Apes (July 14, 2017)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish Hot Toys would take a break from all the Star Wars and Superheroes to give us one good Caesar.

This movie was incredible. Don't know if I like it as much as Dawn, right now I'm tempted to say I do. It's definitely better than Rise though.

Not sure if serious
Dead.
War for Planet of the Apes!
I AM GONNA SPOIL THE ENDING!!!!

oh wait.....I can;t spoil it because our theater was struck by lightning opening day, and we only got to see 3/4 of it......

They issued refunds and said sorry....come back another time.....

My ****** ass theatre never refunded audiences when I saw Inception opening night, some dumb teen burned popcorn, so they pulled the alarm.

Going next week. Without any specifics, is there any kind of hint that two thousand years down the road, this world will be like the originals? (Kind of like the way they teased Taylor in the first movie with the news report and headline about missing astronauts)

Yes... There are many moments throughout that hint at the world to come [the original movie ]

Who's taken Koba's place? Who is the Bad Ape?

Without giving too much away...

Spoiler Spoiler:

Saw this yesterday and what an amazing movie. Best movie this year seriously a must watch. As an ape fan I'm super happy with this trilogy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

This has been an incredible time to be a film fan, much less a genre fan, and I don't know what Fox is putting in the water over there, but it seems to be working. Considering they kicked off the Spring/Summer Blockbuster season with Logan and finished it with War for the Planet of the Apes, they're on something of a roll. There are actually a lot of thematic similarities between the two films, and, in some ways, War for the Planet of the Apes almost feels like another neo-Western in its own right, especially in Michael Giacchino's fantastic score (between this and Spider-Man last week, as a composer, he's really been doing some fantastic things, as well).

It's funny, though, because they say a movie can be ruined by bad CGI, but, while I won't say this was ruined, in some ways, I was sort of emotionally torn between two worlds as I watched it. There's some really heavy stuff that goes down in this movie and there's so much raw emotion, and I was simultaneously heartbroken and amazed. The vast majority of the film, I was constantly having to pick up my jaw, because, visually, it's just extraordinary. I'll be honest, I never really considered myself a Planet of the Apes film. In fact, still, I've only ever seen the original of the first series of films, but Rise of the Planet of the Apes was not only one of the biggest surprises of 2011, but, also, one of my favorite films of that year, and then Dawn came along and elevated the series even more, and now, we've reached the culmination of it all with War; we see how the events of the previous films have shaped these characters and the extent to which they've taken a toll on their lives.

This, truly, is one of the best film trilogies in recent years, and, in all honesty, it just now occurs to me that War for the Planet of the Apes has succeeded where so many others have failed: they managed to make a third film that not only completed the story the first two set out to tell and reached the bar set by its predecessors, but is, perhaps, the best of the three. I've liked every Matt Reeves film I've seen, and this one only further cemented my faith in him as the director of Batman. It was dark, atmospheric, and compelling, and he was able to take the audience from heart pounding momentum to heartbreaking tragedy without missing a beat. Definitely one for the books.

Also, on a bit of a side note, this will probably be my first Mondo shirt:

WarPotA_Front_flat_1024x1024.jpg

https://mondotees.com/products/wpota-tee

Reposting this from the review thread...

WFTPOTA - 7/10

While I enjoyed it, I was slightly disappointed. Didn't expect 50% of the movie to take place in a
Spoiler Spoiler:

Also, the humor/comic relief felt out of place, since the first two films had none.

I understand why the
Spoiler Spoiler:
subplot is there, but felt more like it trying to keep lock-step with the originals, and seemed unnecessary. I always thought of this series as a reboot/reimagining, and don't feel they needed a reason why the humans could
Spoiler Spoiler:
in the originals.

Still, I liked it.

CGI was very, very impressive.

Went to see this last night and absolutely loved it. Practically a flawless trilogy. I think WFTPOTA is my favourite of the three.

Went to see this last night and absolutely loved it. Practically a flawless trilogy. I think WFTPOTA is my favourite of the three.

I agree. I cannot get it out of my head. I saw Spider-Man the other night and loved it also. Just perfect. But Apes stays with me and I know they are total opposite type of films, but I will always love films that stay with me days after I have seen them more. Apes is that perfect summer blockbuster that combines everything I love about seeing movies.

This has been an incredible time to be a film fan, much less a genre fan, and I don't know what Fox is putting in the water over there, but it seems to be working. Considering they kicked off the Spring/Summer Blockbuster season with Logan and finished it with War for the Planet of the Apes, they're on something of a roll. There are actually a lot of thematic similarities between the two films, and, in some ways, War for the Planet of the Apes almost feels like another neo-Western in its own right, especially in Michael Giacchino's fantastic score (between this and Spider-Man last week, as a composer, he's really been doing some fantastic things, as well).

It's funny, though, because they say a movie can be ruined by bad CGI, but, while I won't say this was ruined, in some ways, I was sort of emotionally torn between two worlds as I watched it. There's some really heavy stuff that goes down in this movie and there's so much raw emotion, and I was simultaneously heartbroken and amazed. The vast majority of the film, I was constantly having to pick up my jaw, because, visually, it's just extraordinary. I'll be honest, I never really considered myself a Planet of the Apes film. In fact, still, I've only ever seen the original of the first series of films, but Rise of the Planet of the Apes was not only one of the biggest surprises of 2011, but, also, one of my favorite films of that year, and then Dawn came along and elevated the series even more, and now, we've reached the culmination of it all with War; we see how the events of the previous films have shaped these characters and the extent to which they've taken a toll on their lives.

This, truly, is one of the best film trilogies in recent years, and, in all honesty, it just now occurs to me that War for the Planet of the Apes has succeeded where so many others have failed: they managed to make a third film that not only completed the story the first two set out to tell and reached the bar set by its predecessors, but is, perhaps, the best of the three. I've liked every Matt Reeves film I've seen, and this one only further cemented my faith in him as the director of Batman. It was dark, atmospheric, and compelling, and he was able to take the audience from heart pounding momentum to heartbreaking tragedy without missing a beat. Definitely one for the books.

Also, on a bit of a side note, this will probably be my first Mondo shirt:

WarPotA_Front_flat_1024x1024.jpg

https://mondotees.com/products/wpota-tee

Wonderfully articulated as always. Agree with everything you have said :duff

I agree. I cannot get it out of my head. I saw Spider-Man the other night and loved it also. Just perfect. But Apes stays with me and I know they are total opposite type of films, but I will always love films that stay with me days after I have seen them more. Apes is that perfect summer blockbuster that combines everything I love about seeing movies.

Agreed. Can't stop thinking about it too. Really looking forward to my second viewing. I thought the score was the best of the three too.

Saw it last night and really enjoyed it. Flow was great, scenes were meaningful and it wasn't overly saturated with action scenes - one of my biggest gripes against summer movies.

Who else thought . . .
Spoiler Spoiler:

Saw it last night and really enjoyed it. Flow was great, scenes were meaningful and it wasn't overly saturated with action scenes - one of my biggest gripes against summer movies.

Who else thought . . .
Spoiler Spoiler:

the simian flu did not turn people to apes to be that fast.

Who else thought . . .
Spoiler Spoiler:

I was thinking it was going that way too.

Spoiler Spoiler:

What a beautiful movie. A quiet blockbuster that doesn't rely on **** blowing up to provide the thrills, but rather serves them through powerful character moments.

Back