Walt Disney World and Disneyland(s) Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The logic I've heard, which is completely unsubstantiated (as far as I know), is that since WDW is more of a world wide destination than DLR, having HM closed for a month to renovate it would affect people more greatly. Like someone from across the globe coming to WDW for a once in a lifetime trip, only to find HM closed.

That's precisely it. That and there's actually not as many attractions in each park so that if something is closed, there's not a lot of other "big" attractions to fill in for it without having to park hop.

Expedition Everest has had broken Yeti problems for years but they can't close it for the length of time needed because it's the only coaster in the park.

Disneyland being only two parks and short walks away from each other can close California Screamin' and people will deal with it. They'll be upset but it's not as big of a loss there.

As far as I know it, Tokyo and Anaheim are the only parks that do the Nightmare changeover. Walt Disney World can probably afford an entire Halloween Town layover with a permanent ride. Wonder why they haven't.

Expedition Everest has had broken Yeti problems for years but they can't close it for the length of time needed because it's the only coaster in the park.

I was actually talking with my wife about this the other day. I know they wouldn't want to close Everest, since it's now the biggest draw in the park (or tied, anyway).

But while some of the machinery for the Yeti is probably within the ride itself, couldn't they work on it off-site? They could just put a duplicate static Yeti (to save money on the dupe) with the strobes on the ride (which they do anyway) while actually working to fix him. Or even not as attractive but still functional, just remove the Yeti and work on it? At least then people would still have the coaster.

I read they're planning on adding another Yeti or two throughout the ride, to make up for the lack of "A" functionality. But when they're airing that Animal Kingdom special on (I think) the Discovery Channel 3 times a day, bragging that it's the most advanced animatronic ever, despite it not working correctly for years, it kind of reeks of false advertising.

The story I heard (it's like we're sitting around the Disney Parks campfire) is that the co-design of the three elements - coaster, mountain, animatronic - is what makes repair/replacement so difficult. From what I understand the Yeti still works but the motion has had adverse effects on the foundation, perhaps due to inadequate curing or design oversights. :dunno So it's not just a matter of shutting down the coaster to work on or replace the animatronic. It's a deeper problem that would require substantial work to properly repair. Again, this is all hearsay from talking to Cast Members, etc. but it makes sense to me.

The story I heard (it's like we're sitting around the Disney Parks campfire) is that the co-design of the three elements - coaster, mountain, animatronic - is what makes repair/replacement so difficult. From what I understand the Yeti still works but the motion has had adverse effects on the foundation, perhaps due to inadequate curing or design oversights. :dunno So it's not just a matter of shutting down the coaster to work on or replace the animatronic. It's a deeper problem that would require substantial work to properly repair. Again, this is all hearsay from talking to Cast Members, etc. but it makes sense to me.

I think that's what I heard too and it makes sense. But the result is still the same is that... .closing it is out of the question to them. But like any coaster, they're going to have to shut it down for usual refurbishments so it's not like those guests are going to have anything else to do when it's down.

I figured that could be the case, that they were tied together that importantly.

I just all of the "the motion is so life-like!" quotes you see in almost every piece of video media for it.

Pehaps when the Avatarland section of Animal Kingdom opens (god I hate that idea) enough attention will be drawn away from Everest to shut it down and fix it properly... or add less complicated Yetis to it.

It was a fun coaster but it REALLY needs a Yeti.

Pehaps when the Avatarland section of Animal Kingdom opens (god I hate that idea) enough attention will be drawn away from Everest to shut it down and fix it properly... or add less complicated Yetis to it.

It was a fun coaster but it REALLY needs a Yeti.

Honestly, I think if people never experienced A level Yeti, the "motionless with a strobe on him" is still a pretty great effect. If anyone from WDW's staff is reading this, disregard that admission.

But for anyone who got to experience how truly amazing A level was, the current one isn't in anywhere in the same league.

I'm from San Diego and am currently planning my first ever trip to WWD. My main goal is to ride Everest, I'd prefer a functioning Yeti, but could definitely live without one so long as the ride is up and running. After all the hype surrounding this ride I would be severely disappointed if it was down for repairs when I was there.

I'm from San Diego and am currently planning my first ever trip to WWD. My main goal is to ride Everest, I'd prefer a functioning Yeti, but could definitely live without one so long as the ride is up and running. After all the hype surrounding this ride I would be severely disappointed if it was down for repairs when I was there.

You know, as a ride, I'm not that big of a fan. I went on it three times and each time my head hurt afterward. Not in a "dizzy" way but there's something about the physics of the ride that weren't very comfortable. But everyone else in my party thought it was fine.

That said, it IS fun. And I appreciate the engineering of it more so because I took an imagineering course in an art school and designed something just like that (for a volcano coaster) years prior so in a way, it was very much like experiencing something that I had mapped out.

From what I understand, the track, mountain, yeti are all separate parts that don't touch. Kinda boggles the mind when you're riding it.

Sounds a lot like the joltiness of the Matterhorn. Still one of my favorite rides though.

I'm a huge fan of the deeply themed rides and it's been far too long since Disneyland has put in a true "E" ticket attraction. I'm hoping Radiator Springs Racers proves to be as amazing as it seems.

Everest seems like the perfect "E" ticket attraction (working Yeti or not) so when I finally do get out there I'll be pretty stoked to get on it. Kind of tired of watching on You Tube...:lol

Sounds a lot like the joltiness of the Matterhorn. Still one of my favorite rides though.

I'm a huge fan of the deeply themed rides and it's been far too long since Disneyland has put in a true "E" ticket attraction. I'm hoping Radiator Springs Racers proves to be as amazing as it seems.

Everest seems like the perfect "E" ticket attraction (working Yeti or not) so when I finally do get out there I'll be pretty stoked to get on it. Kind of tired of watching on You Tube...:lol

No worries on that point. Everest has probably the best ride queue at WDW. There are so many small details to notice from the time you enter the Asia area through the ride's line.

If it weren't for Everest I'd probably skip Animal Kingdom altogether. I usually stay at the Boardwalk resort making the 5 minute walk to Epcot my usual choice.:chug

Last edited:
My wife and I are taking our daughters to Orlando at the beginning of June. We have them set up for a breakfast with the Princesses but I've also heard there's an evening formal dinner with Cinderella. Can anyone tell me a bit about that one?

Also we want to make certain the girls see Rapunzel but I haven't seen her on the daily schedule.

I love Everest and I don't think the immobile Yeti really takes away from the attraction since you only glimpse him for about 2 seconds. But I do have to agree with Coheteboy about the head-banging. As much as I enjoy the coaster and especially the themeing and narrative of the ride experience, it does jerk your head around quite a bit. I really love the ride but I have skipped it on days when I'm already feeling some neck pain.

My wife and I are taking our daughters to Orlando at the beginning of June. We have them set up for a breakfast with the Princesses but I've also heard there's an evening formal dinner with Cinderella. Can anyone tell me a bit about that one?

Also we want to make certain the girls see Rapunzel but I haven't seen her on the daily schedule.

Per my wife, who is a Disney travel agent, Rapunzel is out in the Magic Kingdom. She thinks her location is near the castle but you can ask the Cast Members when you get to the park and they can give you at least an idea of when she's out.

There is no "formal" dinner with Cinderella but you can meet her at several character meals. Perhaps you're thinking of 1900 Park Fare (at the Grand Floridian, the fanciest resort). Check out this link for all the character meals. I hope your trip is awesome! Take lots of pics! :lol

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/listing/?sortBy=nG:hasDiningExperienceFacet&fv_222815=on

I love Everest and I don't think the immobile Yeti really takes away from the attraction since you only glimpse him for about 2 seconds. But I do have to agree with Coheteboy about the head-banging. As much as I enjoy the coaster and especially the themeing and narrative of the ride experience, it does jerk your head around quite a bit. I really love the ride but I have skipped it on days when I'm already feeling some neck pain.

Per my wife, who is a Disney travel agent, Rapunzel is out in the Magic Kingdom. She thinks her location is near the castle but you can ask the Cast Members when you get to the park and they can give you at least an idea of when she's out.

There is no "formal" dinner with Cinderella but you can meet her at several character meals. Perhaps you're thinking of 1900 Park Fare (at the Grand Floridian, the fanciest resort). Check out this link for all the character meals. I hope your trip is awesome! Take lots of pics! :lol

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/listing/?sortBy=nG:hasDiningExperienceFacet&fv_222815=on

Yeah, the Happily Ever After dinner is the one. Has anybody done that? Is it worth doing in addition to the breakfast?

No worries on that point. Everest has probably the best ride queue at WDW. There are so many small details to notice from the time you enter the Asia area through the ride's line.

If it weren't for Everest I'd probably skip Animal Kingdom altogether. I usually stay at the Boardwalk resort making the 5 minute walk to Epcot my usual choice.:chug

I was thinking about staying at the Yacht Club. I know the hotels are next to each other. Is the Boardwalk better?

I was thinking about staying at the Yacht Club. I know the hotels are next to each other. Is the Boardwalk better?

I've stayed at both and just prefer to be closer to the stuff going downstairs on the BW itself. It can get a bit loud for a while at night, but it doesn't bother me. If CS meal options are a consideration you may want to lean toward YC though.

I've paid for lodging at the All Star Movies resort. I'm wondering if I should upgrade.

If you can afford the upgrade do it. The All Star Resorts are only good if you are on a strict budget, actually Pop Century is a better budget hotel IMHO... newer hotel more direct bus lines.

Back