Vinyl Collections

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loving the stories of how everyone got into records. Here's mine:

About 15 years ago when I was 13 years old I got my first job and started buying CDs at local shops in LA and ordering mail order CDs from smaller punk and ska labels. It was mainly to listen to music on the bus ride to and from school (and during class when I could sneak it). I ordered a copy of MU330 - Chumps on Parade from Asian Man Records and must have checked the "LP" box on the mail order form by mistake. I wouldn't have even known what an LP was at the time.

When it showed up at my doorstep I remember being absolutely mesmerized and intrigued by it. I took it in my room and just stared at the cover. The larger album artwork, the disc itself, the grooves, the inside liner art, everything! It included a note from the label owner Mike Park, which said something like: thanks for buying this album on vinyl, it means a bunch, Mike. I felt part of some elite exclusive club that nobody knew about. None of my friends, older sibling's friends, no one was into records. My parents didn't even have any of their old albums from when they were adolescents so I had never even been exposed to what a record was.

It was only a matter of time before I saved up for a crappy DJ turntable to listen to it and found vinyl to be my format of choice going forward. Fast forward, over 1000 LPs in the collection, and way to much of my income tied up in audio gear... here I am.

OMG... So much win in this post. First... MU330!!! I was huge into punk and especially ska back in the 90's. I used to buy up any comp I could find to discover new bands. I heard MU330's "Hoosier Love" and I was hooked. I quickly went on a journey (which was necessary those days) to find their album "Press". It took a while but it totally worth it. Then I found out about "Chumps" and had to find it. I found a lone copy at a local music shop but it ended up being defective and wouldn't play without skipping. Sadly the music store couldn't get me a new one so I kept it (and still have it). MU330 along with LTJ, Spring Heeled Jack, Mustard Plug, Suicide Machines, Bosstones, The Specials, Stubborn All-Stars and many more (including Mike Parks' band, Skankin Pickle) were the ska soundtrack to my life back from 95-99... Funny you mention Mike Park also because I took my kids to see the Yo Gabba Gabba Live tour a few years ago and Mike Park was one of the special guests. I glam guarantee you I was maybe the only one in the crowd who knew who he was. That note in the vinyl story is classic and a great example why that scene and those labels were so special back then. Believe it or not, I've know quite a few people with the similar stories.

Here's my vinyl story. When I was a kid, we would go to the movies on Saturdays in the mall. It wasn't a normal mall either but one of those malls in a building with a lot of glass. Afterwards we would go to eat or to I think a music / entertainment store. I was so young that I can't remember much of the other stuff that they sold. But what I do remember is, if the movie was good I wanted to get the soundtrack. And that was on vinyl. Or I called them records. People call them vinyl a lot these days. Also, back then soundtracks were as far as I knew the quickest way to relive the movies until they made it to TV. So to this day I still have my old records from movies like Superman II, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi (soundtrack and picture version), Conan the Barbarian, TRON, Ghostbusters, Lost Boys, and a few other classic movies.

For me it was my dad. It was all I ever knew.

I have pics of me around 2 years old in front of all his records and his equipment.

There was no other way for me to sway.

As they became available again, I just started buying again.

I have a bunch of old vinyl from my dad that includes Quadraphonic recordings as well as direct-to-vinyl. Amazing to have.

Very cool, bro. My tastes came from my parent (mother) as well. Her weekend spins of the Beatles, Crosby, Stills and Nash, Sabbath, Jim Croce and more stick with me to this day.

Here's my vinyl story. When I was a kid, we would go to the movies on Saturdays in the mall. It wasn't a normal mall either but one of those malls in a building with a lot of glass. Afterwards we would go to eat or to I think a music / entertainment store. I was so young that I can't remember much of the other stuff that they sold. But what I do remember is, if the movie was good I wanted to get the soundtrack. And that was on vinyl. Or I called them records. People call them vinyl a lot these days. Also, back then soundtracks were as far as I knew the quickest way to relive the movies until they made it to TV. So to this day I still have my old records from movies like Superman II, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi (soundtrack and picture version), Conan the Barbarian, TRON, Ghostbusters, Lost Boys, and a few other classic movies.

Cry Little Sister is one of the greatest songs ever. I still get goosebumps hearing it.

And Mall movie theaters were the best.

Lucky! I had it in cart this morning, had the ever-arrogant "naw this isn't going to sell to out" attitude. :slap I went to work and came home disappointed.

Knowing that it's TFOT, I can definitely count on flippers trying to get absolute top-dollar for this thing, my only hope is for an eventual second press :pray:

A second pressing is up!!! I just sent you a PM as well...

Wow! Those limited Mondo Aliens soundtracks look awesome! Too bad they're $225 a pop! :(

7a66b67c-6239-424c-a5dc-16bd3a5db74a.gif

I was really looking forward to that until I saw the price. I already have the yellow/blue/black version anyway.

Hi Ween!

Hey MadCow, Chien and I miss you on FB. But it's good to take out that social media noise. Hope all is well. :)

Miss you guys too! You both should have my cell #. I actually re-activated my FB for a day but it quickly started to annoy me again so it went bye bye.

Blood Sugar Sex Magic is in my top 10-20 albums of all-time. Such great memories with that one. :rock

Back