Vinyl Collections

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-...TEtMaEi8f08lsexJLe6g9PhMAeMQ80WjoSFU0o-5azmew

1021_SarahMcLachlan_Vinyl_NL_14re.jpg

Funny. I got this for my birthday a few months ago.

I just got this Disney record. We listened to these songs every Christmas growing up.
s-l1600.jpg

Necrobump. Got my hands on the record store day David Bowie live album - Cracked Actor.

Gorgeous record - and nice to see that it'll be getting a more general release as a CD soon.

(Oh and terribly, and somewhat ridiculously given that there are already two perfectly good turntables in the house... I think I'm now on the hunt for one of these puppies:

https://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-PS-F9.html

If only for the aesthetics alone, I'm not sure I'd dare put a decent LP on there but :drool

Yeah - I'm not sure I'd trust the thing to stand up to a stiff breeze, let alone the inevitable clumsy moment when you forget that it's turned on.

Still it's a gorgeous piece of design, and certainly less clumsy than the ones that show up nowadays that plonk the stylus straight onto a section of completely unsupported record... You might be able to get away with that on a modern 180 gram monstrosity, but the old 70s and 80s LPs certainly wouldn't stand up to that treatment for very long (let alone the infamous Dynawarp discs from the oil crisis!)

Just dug out one of my first pressings of Low for this quick and dirty shot, and thought it would amuse you guys too:

34888409322_4554106c59_c.jpg

(I will point out that the head is effectively a spare, given that it got damaged in transit sadly - I'll be honest I wouldn't have touched thing if it was the only one I was ever going to own, I know my painting skills at this scale are effectively nonexistent!)

Double post but eh - just picked up the EU/Sony pressing of the 3-disc Live Reality album.

Don't bother with this one. Even though the quality is supposedly better than the dire Friday Music pressing, it's still a poor to middling version of the concert to my ears. The DVD has nicer sound. They crammed too much onto each disc, cutting up the running order to do so, and deadening the sound in the process. A clear cost cutting measure, made all the more irritating by the high RRP on this set and the fact that the three discs are packaged in a stupidly oversized box that could easily swallow twice that number.

Friday Music's... variable quality is a bit of a puzzler - their pressing of Bowie's Heathen is lovely and warm if you manage to pick up a decent copy. A good copy of the Friday Music Heathen is on a par with the MOV repress from 2013 (which itself used the original stampers from the extremely limited first UK pressing, but on a better quality vinyl stock) with a pleasant warm tone/feel.

The New Career in A New Town boxset is tempting for the alternative Lodger master - which will be sure to be interesting if it's anything like the alternative Station to Station mix in "Who Can I Be Now?"

However... Who Can I Be Now? (barely) justified it's expense by providing seven discs that I wanted. Like the Five Years boxset there's very little in this release that I don't already own on vinyl in one form or another - I think Five Years would have worked out as £189.99 for two discs if I'd actually gone for it, and this latest one would be £199.99 for... Three - maybe four at a push.

Hrmm - whilst Bowie is my other main obsession outside of action figures and quietly owning almost every single Doctor Who novel - I'm really not sure I can justify this to myself when I already own the vast majority of the content on vinyl, much of it on UK First Pressings no less.

I finally got my stereo back up and running. I got the vinyl bug again. I’m having so much fun listening to albums again. TV off! [emoji4][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm probably in the minority here, but I will just throw this out there: the two things I am passionate about collecting are action figures and death metal records. I have been collecting records since the early 80's and have about 1,000 LPs and 45s by now. Many of the underground recordings I own are extremely limited pressings, but that is not why I am attracted to this type of music. I have never had more of a thrill than to discover a record that immediately speaks to me, has amazing riffs, and only improves with repeated listenings (which drives my wife mad). As a music scene, underground metal is hugely popular internationally. Most of the bands I listen to are either from Scandinavia, South America or Japan. Maryland Death Fest is the biggest music festival in the US, and I have attended 3 times over the years; hopefully soon I will make it over to Europe for a big festival there.

Since the early 80's the LP format has been preferred by metal bands due to the large artwork and inclusion of lyrics. A bunch of the Lps I have are extensively illustrated and just as detailed as any Hot Toy. While most of the music I listen to gets dissonant at times, the fidelity of vinyl matters just as much for the quiet parts.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I will just throw this out there: the two things I am passionate about collecting are action figures and death metal records. I have been collecting records since the early 80's and have about 1,000 LPs and 45s by now. Many of the underground recordings I own are extremely limited pressings, but that is not why I am attracted to this type of music. I have never had more of a thrill than to discover a record that immediately speaks to me, has amazing riffs, and only improves with repeated listenings (which drives my wife mad). As a music scene, underground metal is hugely popular internationally. Most of the bands I listen to are either from Scandinavia, South America or Japan. Maryland Death Fest is the biggest music festival in the US, and I have attended 3 times over the years; hopefully soon I will make it over to Europe for a big festival there.

Since the early 80's the LP format has been preferred by metal bands due to the large artwork and inclusion of lyrics. A bunch of the Lps I have are extensively illustrated and just as detailed as any Hot Toy. While most of the music I listen to gets dissonant at times, the fidelity of vinyl matters just as much for the quiet parts.

Much respect. Although I enjoy contemporary death metal more than 80’s/90’s stuff, I can definitely relate to wanting to spin the harder stuff — LOUD

I just started up a pseudo-“label” and just finished with pressing our first record. It’s from a band called Save Us From The Archon and the album is called Thereafter. It will be on sale this Thursday. Feel free to check it out! :) for fans of instrumental metal/math rock music in the vein of Animals as Leaders, Between the Buried and Me, etc.

I’ll be hand drawing thank you notes for every order and throwing in some goodies as well ;)

Listen here
https://saveusfromthearchon.bandcamp.com/album/thereafter-2

Buy it here
Http://www.circuitboredrecords.bigcartel.com

25545365578_91cc2ebb47_z.jpg

38707131274_708091151f_z.jpg

Back