Verizon Droid (a.k.a. Google phone)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new Sprint Android phone is the Hero which I picked up yesterday at Best Buy for $130. So far, so good but I am just starting to get used to it. I haven't really had time to mess with it or look for any cool apps though. Plus I didn't have to change from my old unlimited data/450 minutes/unlimited nights and weekends plan at $70ish a month.

Sweet !

Let me know your overall th oughts please. I am looking to get this within the next month or so when I am able to.

Reviews have been good, but I would like to hear more.

Speaking of reviews, I'm sure you guys have seen most of the reporters use the Star Wars reference: "These are the droids you're looking for", or something to that effect. Here was the one in my hometown paper. :lol
"It would also be my choice if I specifically wanted a phone that uses the Android operating system. Forgive me for using an extremely nerdy Star Wars reference - particularly since other reviewers already have - but it's so apropos here: This is the droid you're looking for."
https://blogs.chron.com/techblog/archives/2009/11/first_look_motorolas_droid_on_verizon.html

Another one:
https://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/28/these-may-be-the-droids-youre-looking-for/

Well, I'm sold!! checked it out today and overall it's a really nice phone. it was able to pull up all the web pages I visit quickly and was easy to navigate. definite plus is being able to run multiple things at once. the speed of the camera is rather slow though, takes a bit to refresh for another pic. the physical keyboard works fine and the key thingy on the right actually comes in handy. I should have one in hand next week. :ogat

Checked out the Droid today and was disappointed. The touch screen was unresponsive at times. The youtube app looked terrible, the video quality on the iphone/ipod touch for that app is 500 times better. Looked terrible on the Droid. The physical keyboard is bad, keys are too close together and clunky and don't push well. It is also hard to get a good comfortable grip and use the keyboard. I don't recommend it.

BUT the new HTC Droid Eris is awesome! Also released the same day as the Droid but I believe it is a far better phone, one of the better touch screens out there. Felt great in your hand and worked without a hitch.

The droid is great but does have some bugs that need to be worked out - I work at a Verizon store, so I have seen it all - If I were going to buy one, I would get the Droid over the Eris, but it's personal preference - If you are looking to buy one, I would give it a month or so for them to work the bugs out of the phone and come out with software updates for it !

Checked out the Droid today and was disappointed. The touch screen was unresponsive at times. The youtube app looked terrible, the video quality on the iphone/ipod touch for that app is 500 times better. Looked terrible on the Droid. The physical keyboard is bad, keys are too close together and clunky and don't push well. It is also hard to get a good comfortable grip and use the keyboard. I don't recommend it.

BUT the new HTC Droid Eris is awesome! Also released the same day as the Droid but I believe it is a far better phone, one of the better touch screens out there. Felt great in your hand and worked without a hitch.

WOW!! what phone did you use?? I have almost the exact opposite opinion..:lol I've noticed that different verizon stores can F up a phones performance. overall this phone has worked very well for me in testing it. matter of fact I just bought it tonight. (first "smart" style phone) I tested the iphone a few times and it's a really nice phone, but I like the fact that the Droid can multitask. I've also found the physical keyboard to work really well. I find it funny that in the reviews people have said that it's too "flat" and "close" but they have no problem with the virtual keyboard (flat, no moviment and very close) :confused:

anyhoo... mine will arrive apx..Tuesday and I can't wait..:)

Again I have the Blackberry tour. It is fantastic. Good luck with your choices and each their own. But I love my phone.

Need a phone for work applications (Outlook..word, excel are a plus) so I was looking and looks like the HTC Touchpro2 meets those needs...anyone have any experience with this one?

I've had blackberrys and liked those for work apps but the browser and other apps weren't as nice.

Need a phone for work applications (Outlook..word, excel are a plus) so I was looking and looks like the HTC Touchpro2 meets those needs...anyone have any experience with this one?

I've had blackberrys and liked those for work apps but the browser and other apps weren't as nice.

Most smart phones now - blackberry's and android phones as well - can do Windows apps like word, powerpoint, and excel - they will also sync with your outlook email/calendar etc... With blackberry phones you have to purchase an expansion pack of sorts to be able to edit documents, and I think there are free apps with the android operating system that allow you to do that as well. If not, the android apps are a lot cheaper. Basically, grab a phone that you like and will want to use. In my opinion, a lot of windows devices are harder to use and keep up with. If you look at the newer Windows phones, they are trying to hide as much as they can about the windows software. I have seen too many people buy a phone and want to return it a few months after purchase and can't because of their contract - Just don't get stuck with something you wouldn't be happy using for a while .

Most smart phones now - blackberry's and android phones as well - can do Windows apps like word, powerpoint, and excel - they will also sync with your outlook email/calendar etc... With blackberry phones you have to purchase an expansion pack of sorts to be able to edit documents, and I think there are free apps with the android operating system that allow you to do that as well. If not, the android apps are a lot cheaper. Basically, grab a phone that you like and will want to use. In my opinion, a lot of windows devices are harder to use and keep up with. If you look at the newer Windows phones, they are trying to hide as much as they can about the windows software. I have seen too many people buy a phone and want to return it a few months after purchase and can't because of their contract - Just don't get stuck with something you wouldn't be happy using for a while .

thanks for the help. i plan on using the 14 day remorse period and if i'm not blown away, will go to another phone. problem is i want the physical keyboard and the choices are smaller for having one of those(a good one) and touchscreen.

Last edited:
I Have always been disappointed with the Windows software.

I have hear pretty good things about the current android platform. I hope it's as good as they say.

WOW!! what phone did you use?? I have almost the exact opposite opinion..:lol I've noticed that different verizon stores can F up a phones performance. overall this phone has worked very well for me in testing it. matter of fact I just bought it tonight. (first "smart" style phone) I tested the iphone a few times and it's a really nice phone, but I like the fact that the Droid can multitask. I've also found the physical keyboard to work really well. I find it funny that in the reviews people have said that it's too "flat" and "close" but they have no problem with the virtual keyboard (flat, no moviment and very close) :confused:

anyhoo... mine will arrive apx..Tuesday and I can't wait..:)

The Moto Droid.

Some people have been apparently receiving really bad Droids....loose battery cover, horrible touch screen response, etc. But then they said they return it and for the most part get a perfectly good working replacement.

Being the first batch and the first model, I'm sure there are bound to be some initial technical issues.

Yea at our store we have had a few that have had battery problems and a few that have had the speaker go out. I am sure that there are so many being produced that there are probably going to be a lot of them that have issues. For the most part, people are getting perfectly working phones if they return one with an issue. Most people seem to be loving the phone from the feedback I have received. There are some people who just don't know how to work the phone and shouldn't be buying it in the first place that bring them back, but they don't count :)

anyone else actually have one of these in hand?..........this one looks interesting, i have the 1st iphone, and was thinking about getting a new phone for x-mas, not sure if i should upgrade to the 3GS or go for the Droid :confused:

anyone else actually have one of these in hand?..........this one looks interesting, i have the 1st iphone, and was thinking about getting a new phone for x-mas, not sure if i should upgrade to the 3GS or go for the Droid :confused:

I've had mine for a couple days now and I like it.. it's not an iphone "killer" per say but very good. they both have their strong and weak points. it's not as pretty as the iphone but makes up for it in functionallity. I'm new to the whole "smart" phone thing...:duh first one I've used for anything but calls.

the ability to run multiple apps at once is great. play a game, make a call, read the forum and be able to pick up where you left off with ease.. and the voice search and navigation is freakin uncanny..:google

I've had mine for a couple days now and I like it.. it's not an iphone "killer" per say but very good. they both have their strong and weak points. it's not as pretty as the iphone but makes up for it in functionallity. I'm new to the whole "smart" phone thing...:duh first one I've used for anything but calls.

the ability to run multiple apps at once is great. play a game, make a call, read the forum and be able to pick up where you left off with ease.. and the voice search and navigation is freakin uncanny..:google

how much are you paying for your plan? My Dad works for Verizon, so if i can get a really good deal, i may take the plunge on this one, but it will have to be one hell of a deal :monkey1

cant wait for the iphone to go to verizon...at and t blows!

Unfortunately that won't happen for a long time. 2 years at minimum.

Plus Verizon will most likely get a new apple phone, not specifically the iPhone. Well see what happens in a few years.

Back