Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (Luc Besson)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought it looked really good from the trailer, but the reviews turned me off. I'll wait till it's out on rental. I live in NYC, $10 doesn't even cover the price of a matinee showing.

Yeah, I'm in LA, same. Plus parking, plus sitting with kids checking their cellphone's every 10 minutes. If there was more of an even split on reviews I might go see it. But the word of mouth is as awful as the boxoffice. I'm experienced enough to know that means something.

Asking how well Dr.A performs brain surgery is a great inqury. Asking if Plumber Joe or Construction Tim have the common knowledge of not leaving your home looking like a hurricane survivor. Respecting and trusting in youtuber criticts on a movie review to me is insane. This isn't a decision that would every break the bank. There are 2 outcomes of dropping $10 at the theater. You either leave happy or sad. Take the journey!

I trust youtube people much more than older, smug out of touch (or paid) newspaper or magazine critics.
At least the youtube guys have a passion for this, for nerd stuff. They dont do this as an assignent for work.
This is their main hobby.
Besides the first video i posted he is a certified rotten tomatoes critic.

Reviews are just guides anyways. They are just a guide. Nothing more.

The problem is when they ALL agree on something. Thats when u know theres a problem

Exactly what makes professional critics brain surgeons? Their degree in journalism ?

If you listen to anybody's opinion on a movie apart from your own, especially the wannabe goombah's on Youtube, you're making a mistake. If you like the look of a movie, go see it and make your own mind up.

Still got $5 Tuesdays all day at my Regal cinema...seeing this tomorrow

this is what I posted in the Rate or Review Thread Friday 7/21.

Valerian 2/10.The 2 is for the CGI which was for the most part very good.

Most Luc Besson films are worth watching and some are excellent... La Femme Nikita 8/10,The Professional 9/10.

But sorry to say this film is a disaster.I won't go deep, just 3 things.The lead actor was absolutely terrible/monochrome with no charisma at all.The dialogue was a joke and I don't mean Funny.The music for the film at no point fit the scene it was for.Honestly some of the worst I have ever experienced in a big budget film.

almost did not want to admit I saw this film.

Most Luc Besson films are worth watching and some are excellent... La Femme Nikita 8/10,The Professional 9/10.

But sorry to say this film is a disaster.I won't go deep, just 3 things.The lead actor was absolutely terrible/monochrome with no charisma at all.The dialogue was a joke and I don't mean Funny.The music for the film at no point fit the scene it was for.Honestly some of the worst I have ever experienced in a big budget film.

you survived it....not going to waste my time with it

Sounds like another Jupiter whatever-it-was. (Which I'm ashamed to admit I saw part of on cable until I couldn't take it anymore). Re Valerian trailers thought it looked intriguing, except the instant thought was that the leads, flat out, didn't look believable, AT ALL, in whatever world-saving they were supposed to be doing.
And that this movie would be good to watch if you had ingested something illegal.

Well, thanks for saving those minutes of my life.:cool: But it wasn't just your comments - critics can be full of it, IMO, but they were really blasting this out of the gate.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/valerian-city-a-thousand-planets-review-1019847

To pretend that there's a plausible or comprehensible narrative line to the film would be a punishable misrepresentation. At the outset, one is presented with an Edenic beach society made up of pale, slinky and hairless supermodel types where also to be found are pearl-like spheres of very special value and a rare converter of some kind that needs to be delivered to the apparent center of civilization on an enormous space station called Alpha.
What ensues is unclear, unfun, indecipherable, indigestible and, before long, an excellent sedative; anyone who could clearly lay out what takes place in this narrative in 25 words or less would deserve a small prize

Asking how well Dr.A performs brain surgery is a great inqury. Asking if Plumber Joe or Construction Tim have the common knowledge of not leaving your home looking like a hurricane survivor. Respecting and trusting in youtuber criticts on a movie review to me is insane. This isn't a decision that would every break the bank. There are 2 outcomes of dropping $10 at the theater. You either leave happy or sad. Take the journey!

But there's "calculated risk". If a film has mixed reviews - well, whatever. If across the board, it seems like I'd have more fun lighting my 10$ on fire, or better, taking my 10 bucks and ordering a pizza and firing up Amazon, I'll take the pizza. The average person I think can tell if a movie is on the level of Gods of Egypt.

I saw this yesterday. I really wanted to like this movie, but it was a cliché mess. The effects and the aliens are fantastic, but that's about it. The two main characters are AWFUL and they made this hard to watch at times.

I agree with everyone who says Rihanna's character is one of the best things about the film. Naturally she doesn't get nearly enough screen time.

I can't remember the last time I saw two more unappealing leads. In every pic and clip I've seen, they look absolutely dreadful. Just the most offputting facial expressions and attitude possible. Like they're looking at the viewer saying "fxxx you, I don't care if you see this or no, we don't even want to be here, and fxxx off while you're at it."

Go see it. Spend the very small amount of money and go sit in the seats and release all the ******** from your minds and give it a try. I loved the movie. But, why do we all the sudden give a **** about others opinions and treat reviews as the gospel? Go have your own experience. I have always been against the use of CGI to the amount that was used in this film, but it works. There are angles in this film that are fun and new, the openeing scene is easily the best movie opener in years, that involves a "together for the future" moment.

Agreed...I enjoyed it...visuals alone were breathtaking

Back