Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (Luc Besson)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not. "Joan of Arc" was his last solid directorial work and "The Transporter" was his last ok writing. Everything else was either meh or crap.

The Lady, Lucy & The Family are all good films.

He definitely peaked in the 90s, but his post-Fifth Element career hasn't been bad, just not as provocative or memorable.

The Lady, Lucy & The Family are all good films.

He definitely peaked in the 90s, but his post-Fifth Element career hasn't been bad, just not as provocative or memorable.

I never saw The Lady or The Family, but I hated Lucy so much I couldn't finish watching it, and that's rare for me. I made it through F4 and BVS.

I guess I just couldn't suspend my disbelief, hated how it felts too much like The Matrix. Accessing the world as though everything were a computer interface. Also, the ideas about unlocking the brain feel very hackneyed today. The world is analog, not digital.

It felt like someone took that Bradley cooper movie from a few years ago and combined it with The Matrix. Wasn't for me.

New trailer is up. Looks fantastic, like The Fifth Element with 20 years of digital developments. This is how Guardians should have looked. Should be amazing on the big screen.

I guess I'm just a grumpy old man cause I don't think there was a single shot in that trailer we haven't seen a hundred times before.

Two decades of overstuffed CGI action-y nonsense has completely burned me out. I don't see even a shred of originality in this. It even ripped off the stupid fish scene from Phantom Menace that nobody even liked he first time!

And what a pair of duds as the leads. I had to look up who the woman was...she was that trainwreck from Suicide Squad.

By the way, I loved Fifth Element. (And even that wasn't particularly original. I remember seeing it the first time thinking it was a rip off of that taxi sequence from Heavy Metal.)

Most of you guys are in your late 30s/early 40s like me.....is anyone else just plain tired of this stuff? It stopped being fun for me a long time ago.

I think the only possible way I'd wanna see this is if I could get baked out of my gourd first. Seeing as how I live in Japan where weed is still very very illegal, that's not an option.

Because I like the comics(really wish they'd just put them all in one giant hardcover book :) ), I'll see this. But I really get a feeling this is going to bomb hard.

Like 5th Element, this will likely be a hodgepodge nonsensical mess loaded with low-brow eye-candy and aimed at non-discerning 9-14 olds.

Do they really have Hawaiian shirts and cargo shorts in the future of a thousand worlds?

It does have a daring date of July though. Balls to go against the tentpoles.

I like the way it looks, but like Avatar and Dr. Strange, and other heavy cgi films, it's going to look bad on television.

The weakest link in the trailer and maybe the film, are the lead actors, IMO.

Might as well stay home and not watch anymore movies. Everything has already been done. :dunno

I know you're being sarcastic, but I really do feel that way. I can't remember the last time I actually enjoyed a movie that I went to see in the theater.

They're all predictable, formulaic, and thanks to the studios insisting on making them easy enough for the lucrative overseas audiences to understand, they're DUMBER than ever.

I feel like Hollywood films peaked in the year 1999. And I'm not saying that cause I long for my lost youth...I mean look at the movies that came out that year:

The Matrix. Sixth Sense. Fight Club. Being John Malkovich. American Beauty. Toy Story 2. Blair Witch Project. American Pie. Three Kings. Eyes Wide Shut. Any Given Sunday. Talented Mr. Ripley. The Iron Giant. South Park Bigger Longer and Uncut.

(also Phantom Menace...but meh.)

All of those movies were original. All of them took chances. All of them surprised and rewarded the viewer.

Movies have been getting dumber, lazier, simpler, and crappier every year since then. 1999 was the last renaissance for mainstream film.

I've seen too many movies. I always know what's coming. I predicted the entire plot of "Interstellar" within the first eight minutes or so...cause even that movie was just rehashing stuff we've seen before in sci fi movies, comic books, and video games.

These days all a movie has to do to for me to enjoy it is surprise me. It's really hard to do at this point, and the filmmakers have stopped trying.

It's why I find myself much more interested in TV these days. Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, True Detective...the writers and directors are actually trying.

Man...now I really can't remember the last movie that I enjoyed. Like REALLY enjoyed.

I liked "The Hateful Eight" but that's only cause I love Tarantino. (Didn't love Inglourious Basterds though.) I loved "Django" too.

I think the last movie that actually impressed me was "Gone Girl."

Anyway, sorry for the tirade. It's just disappointing cause I genuinely DO love movies, but the good ones are so few and far between these days and the GREAT ones aren't being made any more. I'm just really tired of all this mindless CGI garbage. I'm definitely done with all the Marvel and SW and Disney stuff too.

I feel like Hollywood films peaked in the year 1999.

Really? That was the best year ever for movies?

In general, the 90's sucked for films... unless you liked the majority of your summers watching old TV shows get reimagined as movies (everything from Little Rascals to Casper to My Favorite Martian).

T2, Jurassic Park and The Matrix are about as good as things got... for an entire decade.

Did you see the movies I listed that came out that year? The kind of artistic and unique movies that studios were putting out?

What year since has come close to matching that?

Did you see the movies I listed that came out that year? The kind of artistic and unique movies that studios were putting out?

What year since has come close to matching that?

Many of your movies are subjective "artistry"...

But try 1939 to start.

I think we all played this game before. 1989 was big year. I think 1992 people said was too. I'd have to actually look all the years up, which I'm just not willing to do. Suffice it to say that you're the first person I've ever heard of that believes 1999 is the peak of Hollywood filmmaking. At best, its the peak of the 90's.

Like 5th Element, this will likely be a hodgepodge nonsensical mess loaded with low-brow eye-candy and aimed at non-discerning 9-14 olds.

Do they really have Hawaiian shirts and cargo shorts in the future of a thousand worlds?

It does have a daring date of July though. Balls to go against the tentpoles.

Thank You! Someone else who hates The 5TH Element as I did.

I've never seen TWBB.... lots of expensive custom dollies from that movie though :D

Is that the movie where the gay phrase "I drink your milkshake" comes from?

Back