Vader: Stitching, Hands & other Issues Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Sideshow, please remove the visible stitch lines from Vader's costume

I think Justin does a good job at pointing out things other may not notice or notice but disregard. He never does it in a snotty 'SSC sucks' manner as some do. Although I'm sure SSC is very aware of every aspect of their creations, they can only grow if people express disappointment when they see it. When I worked in retail there was a saying that the customer who came to the desk and complained helps you but the customer who walks out dissatisfied and doesn't come back will close your doors. When we spoke up about Plo's saber color it was changed and maybe subsequent Vaders will have hidden stitching but I think this one is too far in production to change.

He doesn't usually do it snotty and especially in this case. Its just IMO he's overly anal and he brings up things that honestly I doubt too many really give a damn about. :lol In all the people I talked to about Vader at SDCC nobody said a single thing about the stitching. Heck, I don't recall seeing anything in the mega Vader thread. If it was an issue someone else would have brought it up as well. Its his right as I said but when I see a post from him I pretty much expect it to be him saying whats wrong with something. :lol

If you read the RPF you'll see that Justin's critiques are par for the course, and nothing "anal" as some of you put it. Sideshow aren't experts in everything they make. They do commit oversights in details.

If you read the RPF you'll see that Justin's critiques are par for the course, and nothing "anal" as some of you put it. Sideshow aren't experts in everything they make. They do commit oversights in details.

Isn't RPF a costume/prop forum? Those people tend to be the most anal with these things and yes I'm sorry for the most part Justin is pretty anal with these or at least as anal as I am easy going on them. :lol

Re: Let's get to the bottom of Vader's choke hand and pointing hand

Or maybe he can choke a fool with any hand gesture he wants too... I think its more the intent of his actions then where his thumb is positioned :lol

Re: Let's get to the bottom of Vader's choke hand and pointing hand

Looking at the frame and the hand it looks like the hand is pretty close just the rotation is off. It looks like a partially closed hand with finger pointing in the frame and the pretty much what the figures hand is.

I couldn't remember exactly what the choking hand looked like in the movie I just figured it was more like if you were choking a person with one hand, but thats not even close in that capture.

I just did a quick look online and found this which is more like we expected, so maybe he did it more then one way

1200.jpg

This explains everything.

I'm not bothered as much as he is.. my level of pickiness goes as far into the general differences between ANH, ESB and ROTJ. I'd never bought the Medicom Vader as he had some amalgamated elements from all the movies. In any case, SS has raised the bar for all Vaders, and that's good for everyone.

Honestly, the stitching is one of the first things I saw, and I can clearly see it in nearly every picture.

IMO, it's a combination of two things (based on the pics). One: the stitches are a bit large. Two: the thread color looks more like a light gray, which stands out against black. Darken the thread, and I think the problem goes away (at least, as much as can be expected).

But I will agree that I never noticed any stitches on the Medi Vader, so it's curious why SSC's version has them.

I think it's probably that the thread shows up a different color under the light of the flash, rather than being a lighter color per se.

I don't know. It looks black in all my shots as it did in person. It looked black there and in the couple of shots where you can actually see it looks black as well. Doesn't matter in person it looked great in person so it should be just the same when it ships. If SS feels they need to change anything they've got time it won't even ship till we're well into next year.

Don't know if its been mentioned, but on the Medicom figure the cape and inner robe both have a lining... that way instead of stitching on the robes you have a seam on the underside where it joins the lining. Have to say it does look very nice done this way, but if it doesn't happen with Sideshow's version I'll live.

Although did anyone notice if the robes and cape were lined at SDCC?

I don't remember it being lined...at least it didn't stand out to me that it was.

If it was lined, it would appear more like Medi.

SSC's doesn't look bad but Medi's is just a cleaner (and more expensive) way to do it. Takes more material, more labor and ultimately cost us more money. And I say, if SSC would have to charge $170 bucks for their Vader just to meet the same tailoring standards that are met by Medi, I'll live with the stitching.

The really fun part now is reading through the thread in chronological order, trying to figure out who is responding to whom, and about what.

:lol

Yeah that was a bad idea, its not like they are remotely the same discussion, I think some new mods get over excited to doe their job.

Christ, that is horrible. :sick

If the shirt stayed the same and the head/hands had the HT treatment like recent figures, it would of have been perfect.

Don't know how you could buy the one on the left and get the one on the right and defend it. :huh

Sadly, because of this it's always up in the air what you will actually receive in hand compared to what you bought.

Back