UV protective film on your glass display units have you used it?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hidden Jitsu

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm toying with the idea of covering the front of my Deltof's
in clear UV protective sticky film.
Would this be worth doing or pointless?
As i don't understand the whole sun bleaching thing.
Does an item have to be in a window in the direct sunlight to be effected or is it any light no matter how small that can eventually damage my statues and figure's?
As in the heat i can't exactly have the windows and blind's closed.
And i don't have a cinema room or anything like that so all my stuff is in the living room were the windows and blinds are open all the time especially in this heat in the UK.
Sun very rarely touches them as i have the blind's angled so it does not.

The UV from the sun is what causes sun bleaching. The sun has to have direct exposure to cause this, so if you have your collectibles in an area where the sun light does not make contact with your figure you should be fine.

I'm sure like most collectors, we would rather not take the risk and close up any possible sunlight coming in

good post ive wondered of the same thing myself from time to time.

I have blinds on all the time but the sun still comes through a little bit and it hits the figures fora few minutes every day.

Sunlight, like all light, bounces - off of walls, not just mirrors. Your items do not have to have sun rays directly on them to suffer UV damage. It will take longer, but it can still happen. Whether it happens at all, and the rate, will totally depend on he materials and colorants used to manufacture. I've had plenty of computer equipment, toys and games over the years that did not have direct sunlight exposure change all sorts of shades just being in rooms with windows.

If you can keep your windows closed, put film on them to cut heat and UV - it works well. If you can't have them closed, and you can find something that blocks almost all UV and is perfectly clear, you should definitely use that on your cabinets - I've never heard of anything that's totally clear however.

Sunlight, like all light, bounces - off of walls, not just mirrors. Your items do not have to have sun rays directly on them to suffer UV damage. It will take longer, but it can still happen. Whether it happens at all, and the rate, will totally depend on he materials and colorants used to manufacture. I've had plenty of computer equipment, toys and games over the years that did not have direct sunlight exposure change all sorts of shades just being in rooms with windows.

If you can keep your windows closed, put film on them to cut heat and UV - it works well. If you can't have them closed, and you can find something that blocks almost all UV and is perfectly clear, you should definitely use that on your cabinets - I've never heard of anything that's totally clear however.

Ok thanks very much for the info , there are films that claim to be crystal clear weather or not i don't know.
Well i'm getting rid of my deltof's and getting some Besta soon so less glass and i only have to cover the glass front.
Also can L.E.D light damage anything at all?

LED should not as they don't emit UV. Fluorescent lights can/do emit low amounts of UV though, so be aware of that.

Also, if you pick up any film, please post the brand/model in here of anything you find that's clear.

Ok thanks very much for the info , there are films that claim to be crystal clear weather or not i don't know.
Well i'm getting rid of my deltof's and getting some Besta soon so less glass and i only have to cover the glass front.
Also can L.E.D light damage anything at all?

Welcome to the world of Bestas. But I thought you were getting custom shelves done because you thought Bestas didn't look classy. I've been waiting to see what you were going to end up with.

Last edited:
Welcome to the world of Bestas. But I thought you were getting custom shelves done because you thought Bestas didn't look classy. I've been waiting to see what you were going to end up with.

Yeah i'm still in 2 minds what to do.
The white version look too much like kitchen units especially in a living room.
But either way i'm getting a single besta unit to put mu Tychus Findlay in
so will see how i feel when i get that.
I will be getting bars welded on the deltof and then the metal powder coated matt black.

For the record, NEVER use florescent lights. The UV they emit is actually fairly significant.

Only when damaged, only when exposed from a very close distance. Maybe you mean significant enough to cause long-term effects to plasticizers and pigments, but not health right? Because bulbs need to pass tests and the tests don't report that the exposure is significant at all from a health and safety perspective. Something like 8 hours of exposure equals 1 minute of sun as I recall.

Only when damaged, only when exposed from a very close distance. Maybe you mean significant enough to cause long-term effects to plasticizers and pigments, but not health right? Because bulbs need to pass tests and the tests don't report that the exposure is significant at all from a health and safety perspective. Something like 8 hours of exposure equals 1 minute of sun as I recall.

I meant they emit high levels of UV that can/will fade clothing, packaging, etc. Florescents are not recommended for lighting anything of value. You can purchase tubes that fit over florescent tube lighting that cuts UV. CFL also emit UV and broken CFLs can be dangerous to health but I was talking about the UV levels damaging collectables.

Sean

Ok, glad we're on the same page.

Every room in my house uses CFL as a primary light source in the ceiling, but I rarely ever use the ceilinglights in rooms where I have any kind of object that's subject to fading. The lights most often used in my family room, two pendants, are LED and anything lighting a painting or a collectible is also LED of some kind.

Any window with a southern exposure is going to bring in a lot more UV than any fluorescent lamp, even if it were turned on 24 hours per day. So it's a good idea to use UV film on the windows if you have stuff in the room you don't want damaged. You might never see damage on some products that have good color fastness and UV stabilization, while others will start to change within weeks. Then you have some stuff that will change color and completely deteriorate even if kept in complete darkness inside a box (all Microsoft mice for example where the adhesive and soft parts will all disintegrate into a gooey sticky mess).

It's also worth protecting some rubber-type products with silicone spray, IMO. I use it on a lot of my vintage rubber toys and will definitely be using it on rubber Hot Toys parts, such as the tires of the Tumbler.

Back