Using sandpaper - do you need a mask?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loki

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm about to head to the store and buy some sandpaper for weathering a few pieces of clothing. I've heard that using a mask when sanding is necessary because of the airborne particles, but if I'm only using a very small piece on a small pair of jeans, is it still necessary to use a mask?

Sorry for the stupid question. Peace.

Unless you have a known allergy to what you're sanding or a lung condition that could be irritated by whatever you're sanding I wouldn't worry about it.

I've been a woodworker for over twenty years and I only wear lung protection when I'm really going to put some dust in the air or am working with a wood species or other product that I know irritates my lungs.

Thanks for the advice, I didn't pick up a mask. :) I just started sanding. The dust really isn't noticeable, so there probably wasn't a point to worrying about it in the first place.

No need for mask if using on jeans. Maybe on resin depending on size.

Yeah you only need a mask if sanding something like resin or wood.
One thing I do when dremeling is hold the Hoover nozzle and dremel over it so all the dust gets sucked into the Hoover.

I have been airbrushing and spraying aerosol since 2001 without a mask:slap
But now I wear one probably no point now but you know.

Depends on how much dust you make. If using a Dremel or sander a dust masks would not go a stray. Hand sanding a figures neck or so should be fine.

Yeah you only need a mask if sanding something like resin or wood.
One thing I do when dremeling is hold the Hoover nozzle and dremel over it so all the dust gets sucked into the Hoover.

Good tip but a bit noisy, well mine is
I bought a proper respirator mask when I was removing loft insulation, but have never used a mask dremelling heads.
Some of the resins are toxic and give off some vicious fumes so think I may in future.
Nothing wrong in being cautious probabley too late for me

Back