Unlicensed figures promoted on this forum

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How bout third party transformer stuffs?

It seems those have been accepted by the transformers collectors now since takara Tomy is taking their own sweet time in releasing the official version.

Perhaps Disney lawyers are making their rounds to prove to their bosses they are busy. They threatened jangbricks on YouTube when he reviewed lego star wars sets that he purchased legally from mainstream retailers who didn't respect their preferred street date.

Perhaps Disney lawyers are making their rounds to prove to their bosses they are busy. They threatened jangbricks on YouTube when he reviewed lego star wars sets that he purchased legally from mainstream retailers who didn't respect their preferred street date.

Disney lawyers are terrible. They made a nursery in Florida repaint their walls because they didn't approve of the Disney characters being used.

Meh, lawyers gotta make a fuss every once in a while.

It'll settle down in a few months and everything will be back to normal.

His associations with Star Ace and QMX have nothing to do with it.

I would argue that's what is springing this up now - Star Ace is now competing with stylized and unstylized unlicensed product which was very prominently discussed front and center.

But Dave absolutely can put this hammer down, I might even go as far as to say it is a necessity for him to to stay safe in the world of legalities. Sucks though, because unlicensed has been filling gaps no one was able to for a long time. Makes me wonder if some bigger companies have some licenses (one in particular) we don't know about, but would be competing with the unlicensed product...

This site just got 90% less interesting. I loved coming here to see what cool customs were being done having done one myself that was sold exclusively here. Sad day since if we want to look at regular releases we have dozens of other options. Oh well. The times they are changing.

This site just got 90% less interesting. I loved coming here to see what cool customs were being done having done one myself that was sold exclusively here. Sad day since if we want to look at regular releases we have dozens of other options. Oh well. The times they are changing.

Sounds like Dave is saying customs are fine for the most part. The main issue is figures being made in China on the cheap. He doesn't want us promoting those in discussion.

But is there any kind of law that would get an internet forum in any kind of trouble for discussions about unlicensed mass production? We're not makin' them and not promoting them... So, I think everyone would like to know why this is a thing. :)

We do not promote anything.
We're not a news site or blog.
We share information that is already online with other board members and talk about it.

i think by allowing discussions of unlicensed products, and knowing it, you can get caught for "Harboring counterfeit goods" or something.

Pirate Bay & Nyaa Torrent are some good example even though some don't have the files on their site.

So no more Interest threads? Like that miami vice set- thats banned now?

How about items, rather than figures- like that hogan wcw belt?

Animals- max's dog? Or jon's dire wolf?

as long they don't bear the name, or can be identified, if it's generic, it should be ok.

I think promoting an item would be considered commercial speech (like advertising). As i recall the standard is appreciably lower to be protected.

But you could argue over what is "promoting".

The moment you are sharing info about an unlicensed product, it'd be treated as advertising/promoting.

but if you write something like "has anyone bought the VTS Wasteland Ranger figure, it may be treated as a discussion instead.

and if someone responds with a photo of their Wasteland Ranger, then it can be said as some form of promotion.

I could easily live without seeing threads for knockoff X-men or Bond figures on here, but if the interest and custom sections have to go away too I'll be seriously, seriously bummed. :(

Customs will stay, as long as there's no sales/mass production (even in limited quantities) involved.

meaning, you can see & share, but you won't be able to buy.

I think understand the logic of the Adm. in this topic, if you are the owner of a forum who have a section that allow the sale/trade of figures and other things, another section of Interest and latter if successful in the amount of people willing to get onboard and pay the cost of a limited production run of particular characters, outfits,weapons,headsculpts wich already have trademarks...usually international cover since these movies are for most part shown in most world markets, so in reality...the copyright cover not only the story plot, character names...but also the likeness of the actor,wardrobe and other props....movie studios have to even ask permision to weapon makers to use their weapons/designs and give them the credit if that the case (sometimes manufacturers pay for the weapons or props bearing their names to be featured in the production)...in other words...every single thing you see in a movie, drama play, concert, video game, tv soap opera, tv show...have a primary and secondary copyrights to all that is shown...even more when is a very particular field like Sci-Fi properties.

If I make a custom figure...even a "close resemblance" to a copyright character/prop...and...make....ONLY ONE...but sell it and have a profit by it, am breaking the law, in some jurisdictions the law is more extense and unforgiving than in others..but in the end...they protect the original/current property/copyright owner from all angles. It do not have to be mass produced...that is a loose term...you can do 3...and believe me it has happen...it can be called "mass produced"...may sound nuts...but it is how it works because you did the first and two more with profit on mind...if you keep all tree for your own personal collection and pleasure...no "problem"...if you have a profit...problem.

The House of the Mouse have one of the most extensive, detailed, and pure and simple devastating branch of copyright investigators and lawyers that you can imagine, they police their brand(s) like very few in this world and are direct and to a point to remove any violators of ANY of their 1000's of copyrights. This same things happen in the scale model car world and in particular the "prancing horse" company who made a crackdown on anyone making ANY of their cars or using any of their symbols, at one point...only ONE model company could produce models from this company.

And even if you dont sell or allow the selling of these unlicence items in this or any other forum/media...but still discuss them, show photos of them, alterations base on them...in the eyes of lawyers...you are making aware the public of the availability of that product, possibilitys of different price range and the possible desire of those interest in that subject to aquire that one...instead of the original copyright version, again some may argue about the freedom of choice, speach and other constitutional rights, but lets not forget...those same rights cover those who paid to have their creations secured by the law and protect their investment and of course...revenue...it happens in ALL field, sports,motorsports,antiques,memorabilia,etc,etc.

Sorry for my english grammar, not the best...but think is better than a web translator!!

there are things you need copyright to feature in a film/play there are things you don't need.

things like clothing, vehicles, or environment which may contain McDonald in the shot, or an Apple computer don't need any license, so this means firearms too.

you can use it to portray negative about it for example using a Colt in a murder scene which may put a negative image on the brand, and Colt's lawyer might just send you a letter, that doesn't mean you are wrong, you just, have to spend time & maybe money to fight it, which is a fight you usually win.

FLIPPING Lawyers BS. So i can post all day on youtube FB anywhere except here if want to talk about a 2nd party unlicensed figure its not allowed. Its the Forum and fans that lose's out in this. You will miss set item because cant talk about said product if not tuned into all set release's. I feel like this complete bs going after forrum's for god sake talking about 3rd party release's. I think if the big companys are so mad at the 3rd partys they like fox or who ever get off set @$$ and settle the copywright bs and start producing own release's. I will continue to support promote 3rd party release's just not on here ,that are cheaper and better then some licensed release's in this hobby. Good luck with this bs Dave.

corporates may not have released, nor do they have the intention to released a figure of a license they hold, but corporate heads & economists will always put them on "potential release" as to add value to their companies, too boost their share values and show shareholders & potential investors that their company has "Big Potential".

when some company releases an unlicensed product, they reduced the license holder's potential value, and when shareholders see 3rd parties selling well, they will question the CEO why did they not release a figure of said character, or why their official release are worse than a 3rd party company, fans will compare the official vs unlicensed, and if the official is bad, it puts even a more dent on the corporate image compared to when there's "No comparison" to be made.

a few good examples would be Snake Pliskin & Uncharted, the 2 figures have gathered +ve feedbacks because it's "The Best You Can Get". there are no 3rd party unlicensed figure out there to compete, making inferior official products more desirable.

3rd party & unlicensed products hurt license holder companies more than you think (at least that is what they say).

Oh, man, you've got talent. You really should think about stand up comedy!

It's been a policy here before Dave was associated with those companies and even before Star Ace existed. It's being enforced now more than likely to Dave getting take down notices from companies he isn't associated with, namely Disney.
I'm positive Dave would let the discussion continue if he hadn't been threatened with lawsuits by the licensors.

Sad that VTS, whom I have great respect for there work, will suffer for this. In the end I never realized they were not licensed...maybe on a real level I didn't care because the actual license holder is not actually producing any figures.

Alt of this is coming up because 1/6 is getting big.... your can buy them in Disneyworld and many other retailers....it's not a niche thing anymore.

Dave must do what Dave does.....he has to protect his finances first.

It's just sad....especially since I was about to release a figure I have worked in for a year...

:/

There always Ebay...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think all has been said that needs to be said. I may bump this thread if newcomers start posting about these things, but otherwise...

THREAD LOCKED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back