Unlicensed figures promoted on this forum

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No ones mentioned the site supporters like Sideshow, etc... the supporters also have stake in "lost sales". Personally right now I dont care for Sideshow and would rather give my money, while more expensive, to a custom statue that Sideshow refuses to produce although they have the 1/4 character license on lock. I think they know theyre losing their fanbase with their current business model and theyre trying to reduce the exodus by force, hence complain here for starters.

But im also curious who defines "mass produce", what is that magic number?

I'm no lawyer but most custom figures only seem to sell about 30 or less. They are also all painted and made by hand, not on a line. To me that is not mass produced and the company isn't even really losing any sales. Especially if it's a head sculpt to replace one on an existing figure. It's still not legal, but I can't imagine a company caring about 30 figures.

Statueforum did this years ago no custom threads no for sale threads .

I buy both licensed and unlicensed figures, usually unlicensed
cause my interests are somewhat different than the average collector.
I prefer characters from older movies like scarface, taxi driver, die hard etc
that are not so popular these days like marvel or dc,
so those figures when produced are usually unlicensed,
since no company will make money/cares to make em.

Oh well, I guess I should make now an osw acc,
my interest in this forum will be minimal from now on.

Well lots of money will be lost on this forum all those people who buy sell things all thoughs people who make money in the custom sections.

That's a shame such a narrow point of view is being expressed on an open forum for the collecting of action figures/statues, etc.etc.
shouldn't the mentality of it be .."if you don't like it ... don't click on it" ... , be employed more so than a blanket ban on the entire sub genre ? No one is forcing you to read the posts or purchase the items.

How is it determined that a figure is a bootleg or not? We may know in our gut, but few of us are across copyright law in detail.

For example are the numerous DiD military figures, many of which feature sculpts with familiar feature-film/celebrity likenesses, considered unlicensed figures?

The various Gangster Kingdom sets that feature stylised, caricatured likenesses - are these considered unlicensed figures?

Is it reasonable - in a legal sense - that a site administrator determines what figures are ok for forum publication and discussion and which aren't?

Or is it reasonable - in a legal sense - that a site administrator merely acts promptly on complaints from license holders by deleting the respective thread/s?

I wonder if already made unlicensed figures will still be able to be listed in the For Sale Thread. If someone out there is concerned that a site is even talking about them I imagine they would be way more concerned that a site is creating a platform that allows them to be bought and sold...

Damn Lawyers.
I fully understand the situation, Dave gets a take down notification from a blood sucking lawyer and he has to take it down. You could complain that this is an infringement of his freedom of speech, but it costs a lot of money and time to take this to court which Dave doesn't have to protect his or anyone posting in this forum's speech. His associations with Star Ace and QMX have nothing to do with it.
I'm sure OSW will be taking up the slack in the unlicensed product area.

I think understand the logic of the Adm. in this topic, if you are the owner of a forum who have a section that allow the sale/trade of figures and other things, another section of Interest and latter if successful in the amount of people willing to get onboard and pay the cost of a limited production run of particular characters, outfits,weapons,headsculpts wich already have trademarks...usually international cover since these movies are for most part shown in most world markets, so in reality...the copyright cover not only the story plot, character names...but also the likeness of the actor,wardrobe and other props....movie studios have to even ask permision to weapon makers to use their weapons/designs and give them the credit if that the case (sometimes manufacturers pay for the weapons or props bearing their names to be featured in the production)...in other words...every single thing you see in a movie, drama play, concert, video game, tv soap opera, tv show...have a primary and secondary copyrights to all that is shown...even more when is a very particular field like Sci-Fi properties.

If I make a custom figure...even a "close resemblance" to a copyright character/prop...and...make....ONLY ONE...but sell it and have a profit by it, am breaking the law, in some jurisdictions the law is more extense and unforgiving than in others..but in the end...they protect the original/current property/copyright owner from all angles. It do not have to be mass produced...that is a loose term...you can do 3...and believe me it has happen...it can be called "mass produced"...may sound nuts...but it is how it works because you did the first and two more with profit on mind...if you keep all tree for your own personal collection and pleasure...no "problem"...if you have a profit...problem.

The House of the Mouse have one of the most extensive, detailed, and pure and simple devastating branch of copyright investigators and lawyers that you can imagine, they police their brand(s) like very few in this world and are direct and to a point to remove any violators of ANY of their 1000's of copyrights. This same things happen in the scale model car world and in particular the "prancing horse" company who made a crackdown on anyone making ANY of their cars or using any of their symbols, at one point...only ONE model company could produce models from this company.

And even if you dont sell or allow the selling of these unlicence items in this or any other forum/media...but still discuss them, show photos of them, alterations base on them...in the eyes of lawyers...you are making aware the public of the availability of that product, possibilitys of different price range and the possible desire of those interest in that subject to aquire that one...instead of the original copyright version, again some may argue about the freedom of choice, speach and other constitutional rights, but lets not forget...those same rights cover those who paid to have their creations secured by the law and protect their investment and of course...revenue...it happens in ALL field, sports,motorsports,antiques,memorabilia,etc,etc.

Sorry for my english grammar, not the best...but think is better than a web translator!!

Ok - to clarify...

What we are mostly talking about here are mass produced, unlicensed figures from big licenses that are released by small Chinese companies.

We aren't talking about art customs or accessories/custom clothing for existing figures. If I didn't delete it already, it's probably okay.

quote about figures.

And I'm perfectly fine with that. While I do think discussion should be allowed about said figures, I do agree that posting links to buy them should be up to the site owner. Much like discussion of how emulation works on many gaming forums. Discussion is fine, but links to distribution of said ROMs is against the rules.

Ok - to clarify...

What we are mostly talking about here are mass produced, unlicensed figures from big licenses that are released by small Chinese companies.

We aren't talking about art customs or accessories/custom clothing for existing figures. If I didn't delete it already, it's probably okay.

Thanks for clarifying. That sounds perfectly reasonable. Those companies don't need to market here any way, because they clearly have some behind the scenes wholesale network and show up at certain retailers and on eBay. For small scale artists, this is our only viable fourm.

I've definitely seen some third-party offerings the last year or so that crossed the line and might hurt a legitimate license-holder's sales. But rarely do artist here directly compete against an existing (or reasonably projected) 1:6 scale figure, it usually involves improving an existing figure or offering secondary characters, who are unlikely to be economically viable for the license holder (and which may actually enhance interest in the existing licensed figures).

How is it determined that a figure is a bootleg or not? We may know in our gut, but few of us are across copyright law in detail.

For example are the numerous DiD military figures, many of which feature sculpts with familiar feature-film/celebrity likenesses, considered unlicensed figures?

The various Gangster Kingdom sets that feature stylised, caricatured likenesses - are these considered unlicensed figures?

Is it reasonable - in a legal sense - that a site administrator determines what figures are ok for forum publication and discussion and which aren't?

Or is it reasonable - in a legal sense - that a site administrator merely acts promptly on complaints from license holders by deleting the respective thread/s?

:goodpost:

Damn it. There is "a thing that will not be named" that I wanted to get as a Christmas gift for my wife and now the thread is gone. I should have paid more attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back