Unlicensed figures promoted on this forum

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I don't know how a limited run of like 20 or 30 figures would make a dent in a company's bank account. It's not like they're using an existing mold or outfit. It's all being hand made. I would not consider anything in our interest section to fall under the category of "mass produced".

Dave...it's your site...your rules. I just want to say however, legally there is a fine line between providing a public forum for conversation and actually promoting them and I doubt Disney's attorney could actually sue you for maintaining the site with free speech. That being said...i can also imagine if you dont want to deal with the hassle of fighting it out with attorneys.

I think promoting an item would be considered commercial speech (like advertising). As i recall the standard is appreciably lower to be protected.

But you could argue over what is "promoting".

I consider what we do here to be very different than say a seller on DHGate or Alibaba. I would argue that customs is more akin to selling fan art than producing a cheap knockoff. While both still not legal, companies tend to not care about the former as it's usually positive promotion.

Guys, I joke about all this, I disagree about all this, but in the end, don't forget: that's Dave's board and that's his rule. Hate it or love it, but it's useless to whine about it as it won't change. This thread should be locked before arguments start and generates bad blood as we often see. Never ends well!

I could easily live without seeing threads for knockoff X-men or Bond figures on here, but if the interest and custom sections have to go away too I'll be seriously, seriously bummed. :(

I would have said crochet!:lol

:rotfl

**16k** said:
OSW can be great. It's what you make of it, really.

It needs an invasion.

At the moment they're mourning the loss of their NSFW forum. I can see them now with their thousand yard stares wondering where to post photos of their naked dollies doing naughty things.

I think a part of this comes from dave's financial interest in qmx. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But you see things differently when you sit in the manufacturer's seat, not the collector's seat. My .02.

Will discussions referencing clothing sets based on third party/unlicensed figures also be deleted? Or does it have to be full figures?

My guess would be it would depend on if any logos or trademarks are broken. It's hard to call a leather jacket a violation. But throw a spider-man or captain America logo on it? That would be a violation I take it.

My guess would be it would depend on if any logos or trademarks are broken. It's hard to call a leather jacket a violation. But throw a spider-man or captain America logo on it? That would be a violation I take it.

Yeah, that I understand and also makes sense. I mostly wondering about a few video game related clothing sets. Where there's no subtlety in who it's representing...but they name the set something like "Robot girl" :lol

It's an unlicensed product based on an existing license...Aaaaaaand I think I just answered my own question :lol

I don't understand how a forum where stuff is discussed can be said to be promoting unlicensed product. I'm not questioning that the lawyers are right, or that the forum is right to take their word for it, and even if they are wrong I can appreciate that lawyers letters are scary and frankly, who needs the bother? But I still can't see how discussing and promoting something are the same, unless you're using that discussion to sell it - and the moderators are always onto it quickly if someone tries to sell something without being a 'premium freak' so I'm sure they could get onto it when a company starts a thread.

Isn't the interest threads promoting unlicensed stuff ? Guess people will have to go else where to make money .

I'm just a bit puzzled. Websites like redbubble and Etsy thrive on fanworks. It's not technically legal to sell fan work, but most companies will not sue because they won't make a lot of money from the suit and it just makes them look bad.

I can understand banning the sale of bootlegs from China(though it would have to be a direct sale. Just saying something looks cool isn't really strong promotion). But not the work of customizers.

Going to the interest section is like a flea market for 1/6 nothing is licensed . I'm curious how that's going to be handied what about dealers sellings unlicensed stuff ?

What if unlicensed figures were discussed but no pricing or links to sites that carry the figure are posted? So the figures could be discussed but not promoted inderctly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back