Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection coming to Blu-ray Oct. 2nd 2012!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a 3D TV either, you can see it in 2D and it's beautiful!!

I, ironically have the complete set up. Bluray 3D player, HD 3D projector, active shutter glasses... Everyone else can enjoy my 3D set up, but me. I ave a Nick Fury condition :rotfl

Anyways, I can always wrap em back up again and open them in Christmas (again).

I'm watching this Phantom of the Opera from 1943 that was included. It's not something I've ever seen before, and I do want to expose myself to more of the Universal pantheon of horror, so here we go.

Didn't even know it was in color! :horror

Enjoy. It's quite good.
Dunno if they will go blue, but the legacy sets on DVD are cool.
Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolf Man, Mummy, Creature and invisible Man.
Worth scoping out if you are new to the Universal Monsters.

Oh, I'm not that new.

I have each and every Legacy set! :yess:

I just need things outside the normal. Like...

The Old Dark House

Never seen it, but really want to! :D

Gotcha.
Recently, I've watched The Black Cat, which is really good.
I have collected every universal horror I can find. They just evoke great memories from the years of watching double bills on bbc2 back in the days when pong was a state of the art video game .

Saw Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, and Dracula. All look stunning. I had'nt seen these in such a LOOOONG time. Although my favorite character, I was surprised how much i disliked Dracula in comparrison to Frankenstein! cant wait to see the rest!

Saw Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, and Dracula. All look stunning. I had'nt seen these in such a LOOOONG time. Although my favorite character, I was surprised how much i disliked Dracula in comparrison to Frankenstein! cant wait to see the rest!

I fell asleep to Dracula the other night :lol I found it tedious compared to others in the set.

Just cracked open my set. Watching Dracula right now and it's amazing. The picture is crisp and the sound very clear (I got so used to watching it with a dull image and the crackling background noise year after year). Has anyone discovered if the UK collection is any different from the US one? From the description, they both seem to have the same exact features. Got mine for $55 shipped.

Just cracked open my set. Watching Dracula right now and it's amazing. The picture is crisp and the sound very clear (I got so used to watching it with a dull image and the crackling background noise year after year). Has anyone discovered if the UK collection is any different from the US one? From the description, they both seem to have the same exact features. Got mine for $55 shipped.

So, did you get the US or UK version?

Because it sounds like you got the US version for $55.

:lol:lol:lol

Yep! Renfields laugh was so over the top! Lmaooo

Yes it was

There's only one difference in the whole set and it's that there's a commentary track missing from Dracula. There's only one instead of 2.

So, did you get the US or UK version?

Because it sounds like you got the US version for $55.

Bought the UK version. The US was $110 shipped pre-order and now is listed at $140 shipped. Just wanted to see if I missed on anything significant, but it sounds like I didn't really miss out on much.

Jus watching the wolf man. It looks absolutely stunning. Like a brand new film that happens to have been made in black and white. Wow

A little late to the party on this set but I just picked it up. The retail price was over the top on release. The price dropped so I pulled the trigger.
This set is worth upgrading if you're a fan. The restoration on Dracula is pretty amazing. There is so much more detail visible. The backgrounds really show now. The picture is a lot sharper. Huge difference.
On all of these movies the black scales stand out too. No more washed out look. The audio improvement is a nice upgrade.

The only clunker, for me, is the Phantom. The Chaney version is far superior. In a perfect world, Universal would trade me the Son of Frankenstein for this Phantom disk.

Some people have reported problems with skipping on The Creature. I didn't have any issues. Must be a firmware issue. My machine is older but it's up to date on the firmware.

A good start. Keep them coming.

Most of the legacy set on Blu Ray will do.

Glad you like it.
I find that I cycle through this set regularly, missing out the Phantom. I have yet to watch it all the way through once!
The quality of these movies in this set are nothing short of amazing. I watched one of the DVDs from my Legacy set to see if it was just down to the HD projector and bluray player.. Nah! It's the Blu-ray Discs ; Universal have gone to town on the restoration and encoding.
If anyone else is still on the fence, go get ths set. I'd recommend amazon.co.uk who were still selling ths really cheaply. Actually, I'm surprised at how cheap this went for when I got mine.

The U.K. version seems to have dried up in the States. Amazon was selling that set for $55 to $65. Not anymore. It's gone up alot. They're gouging/scalping now.

The set I got was the U.S. version. 3 weeks ago. It was $65 new shipped from BB. That price has gone back up to $100 now.

I noticed that BB is offering a new version without The Creature and The Phantom for $75 too. WTF? Two less movies?

Back