Underrated Sequels

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He probably is. But not when your movie is really terrible, and made by a director trying to camp it up to the extreme to the point of total discomfort.

Batman Forever.
Not as campy as B&R and told a good story about Bruce Wayne's want for a normal life and his need to be and remain batman (looking evilly at you nolanz)

Robocop 2
Don't get the hate, it was fun and Cain was an awesome villain

Superman 3
I understand the hate as it was more or less a Richard Pryor vehicle, bt i like it because it was funny.

Temple of Doom
Regarded poorly for some reason

Temple of Doom
Regarded poorly for some reason

The usual reasons I see for it being as such is that people dislike the much darker tone and the lack of Nazis, and many often dislike Short Round and Willie. I never had a problem with those two characters and I always enjoyed the darker mood and the different enemies in it.

Another I find underrated is The Lost World: Jurassic Park. It's flawed for sure and I feel the first half of the movie sans the dinosaur round-up sequence was somewhat tedious, but once they get to the compy attack on Dieter, from that point on it becomes pretty fun. Unlike others I really enjoy the T-Rex attack in San Diego and the Raptor attack in the tall grass is another great scene. Only thing I dislike about the second half is the stupid bit with Kelly killing the Raptor with her gymnastics, other than that, the second half is a lot of fun.

Another I find underrated is The Lost World: Jurassic Park. It's flawed for sure and I feel the first half of the movie sans the dinosaur round-up sequence was somewhat tedious, but once they get to the compy attack on Dieter, from that point on it becomes pretty fun. Unlike others I really enjoy the T-Rex attack in San Diego and the Raptor attack in the tall grass is another great scene. Only thing I dislike about the second half is the stupid bit with Kelly killing the Raptor with her gymnastics, other than that, the second half is a lot of fun.

I agree.

The badass Great White Hunter is underrated ... he's one of the better characters in the trilogy. Malcolm worked better as a side-character than the central one, though. It was a good concept, with good effects, and compelling action. I think it would've worked better with Neill as the main character, though.

Superman III is one of those I like mostly because I grew up with it. When I asked for Superman, for some reason, that's the one my mom tended to pick. The 'dark' Superman stuff was cool ... and I actually liked Lana better than Kidder's annoying Lois. Lana actually liked Clark.

I don't think Temple of Doom is underrated. Quite a few like it a lot. Some of the action sequences are iconic. I just didn't take to the plot much. It wasn't that it was too dark ... it was that it was too 'mystical'. There's always an element of the spiritual to the Indy movies ... but basing it in a weird Cult that nobody follows rather than Judaism or Christianity -- two far more widely accepted faiths (or even the Sci-Fi stuff of KOTCS) -- kinda took me out of the story too much. There wasn't enough globetrotting ... once he got to the palace, he pretty well stayed put. The Nazis or Ruskies make for a better villain. And, Willie was obnoxious.

Action sequences were great, though.

SnakeDoc

Last edited:
Titanic+II.jpg

somebody else has to watch this crap. lolz

I don't think Temple of Doom is underrated. Quite a few like it a lot. Some of the action sequences are iconic. I just didn't take to the plot much. It wasn't that it was too dark ... it was that it was too 'mystical'. There's always an element of the spiritual to the Indy movies ... but basing it in a weird Cult that nobody follows rather than Judaism or Christianity -- two far more widely accepted faiths (or even the Sci-Fi stuff of KOTCS) -- kinda took me out of the story too much. There wasn't enough globetrotting ... once he got to the palace, he pretty well stayed put. The Nazis or Ruskies make for a better villain. And, Willie was obnoxious.

Action sequences were great, though.

I think TOD still counts as underrated because while it has it's fans it still gets plenty of criticism and a lot of people still cite it as the worst Indy film even with KOTCS in the mix. I never minded stuff like the cult, not a lot of globetrotting, etc. I thought it made for something fresh and unique, and it showed Indy doesn't need Nazis all the time as his enemies. I didn't mind that it was mostly set in the temple either, I think the temple itself is a great set and the many exotic locales make for great scenery.

I never minded Willie or Short Round either, I think both were funny and added some good comic relief without deterring from the dark tone or perilous feeling, though I can understand why someone wouldn't be a fan of either. For me, the way people often feel about Willie and Short Round is exactly how I feel about Elsa and Brody in The Last Crusade. Brody was made into a total buffoon in TLC and there's something about Elsa I always found really irritating and unlikeable, even if she wasn't screaming and whining all the time like Willie was. Something about her demeanor, delivery, etc. just makes me annoyed every time she's onscreen.

The usual reasons I see for it being as such is that people dislike the much darker tone and the lack of Nazis, and many often dislike Short Round and Willie. I never had a problem with those two characters and I always enjoyed the darker mood and the different enemies in it.
That's how I feel about TOD pretty much - it's a classic & I'm a huge fan. :)

One that comes to mind for me, is Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.

Yeah.. it's $h!t, but I still love it for it's stupidity. :lol

That's how I feel about TOD pretty much - it's a classic & I'm a huge fan. :)

One that comes to mind for me, is Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.

Yeah.. it's $h!t, but I still love it for it's stupidity. :lol

[ame="https://youtu.be/MIt0VY7Yg2w"]https://youtu.be/MIt0VY7Yg2w[/ame]

Good to see the likes of TOD and Predator 2 getting much love here so far :clap Wonder how many here also like Ghostbusters II? I always enjoyed it as much as the original and think both are ridiculously entertaining and fun, yet the second one gets hated on endlessly just about everywhere I look. I can understand thinking it isn't as good as the first, that was a tough act to live up to, but it's nowhere near as bad as many often make it out to be.

Good to see the likes of TOD and Predator 2 getting much love here so far :clap Wonder how many here also like Ghostbusters II? I always enjoyed it as much as the original and think both are ridiculously entertaining and fun, yet the second one gets hated on endlessly just about everywhere I look. I can understand thinking it isn't as good as the first, that was a tough act to live up to, but it's nowhere near as bad as many often make it out to be.

I think Ghostbusters 2 is pretty much on a par with the first one. But then I've never been massively into that franchise.

I saw someone said Batman Forever, and i agree. I love Forever, people seem to get caught up in the fact its very stylized like Batman & Robin and put it in the same category but it has some very dark elements and a pretty cohesive story IMO, not to mention some great action.

I know they cut out alot of scenes that had alot more character development for bruce, it be interesting see them in the film.

Kilmer wasn't a bad Wayne or Batman. I actually prefer him to Keaton. The costuming was good. Riddler was fine. The movie was cartoonish, but intentionally so ... and it wasn't as bad as B&R.

I thought the big mistake in Forever was Two Face. The Riddler was done well ... Carrey's over-the-top thing works for Riddler. It would've worked better if Jones's Two Face was more serious and threatening. Instead, they tried to make him a Joker knock-off, and ended-up with two over-the-top villains ... and it didn't work as well as it could've.

I actually prefer it to Batman Returns ... which may be classified as a crime against humanity around these parts.

SnakeDoc

I like the look of Batman Forever more than the look Batman Returns has.
I liked the first Batman and I like Returns but Forever looks really good too, whoever did the set designs did a good job.

I also like the story in Forever more than Returns. I have a better time watching Batman Forever, the movie is campy at times and the villains take it too far, But I like the plot and I even liked Nicole Kidman.

The movie is entertaining and has a good story. The only thing I cannot stand is the music....

I think Ghostbusters 2 is pretty much on a par with the first one. But then I've never been massively into that franchise.

Maybe it's a nostalgia thing for me, but I grew up with both movies and always viewed them as being equally entertaining and clever.

Back