Underrated Sequels

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadow Master

Super Freak
Reaction score
What are some movie sequels (and I guess we may as well add prequels, too) that in your opinion get an undeserved bad rap and deserve more credit and respect? They don't have to be sequels as good or better than the originals, just good movies in general that deserve better treatment then they usually get.

I feel all of the following are underrated and nowhere near as bad as a lot make out to be:

Ghostbusters II
Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom
Predator 2
Alien 3
Die Hard 2
Batman Returns

There's probably more but these are what come to mind for now. I've always loved all of these movies and yet at so many places I look they get hated into oblivion.

Agreed with all of your choices.

X-men 3 I thought was alright. I didn't like that they killed Cyclops and Professor X but other than that I thought it was enjoyable.

Spiderman 3 improved for me the last time I watched it as I recall. Easily the least good of that trilogy but I can watch it.

Oh and Return of the Jedi. ****ing love it. Pisses all over the PT from a height even with the ewoks. None of the PT by the way are underrated, let me get that out of the way right now. In fact I find ROTS very much overrated.

I forgot about ROTJ, which is actually my favorite Star Wars film, with ESB right behind it.

I'll agree with most of those (except BMreturns, X3, SM3) and add

Halloween 3
Tim Dalton Bond Movies
Iron Man 2

Ocean's 13.
Die Hard 4.
Terminator 3.
The Lost World.

Batman Forever and Superman III have their moments.

I don't think Spider-man 3 or X-Men 3 are nearly as bad as everybody else seems to.

SnakeDoc

Forgot about RoboCop 2, I always liked it. It wasn't as good as the original but still fun, and without it we'd never have the badass RoboCain. The finale is insane, too.

Trouble with Robocop 2 is I only like the battle between Cain and Robo - for me there is nothing else redeemable.

T3 and Die Hard 4 - nah, hate them. So all of these I think are rated exactly as they should be.

I think I'll add Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull to the underrated list as well. I think both TOD and KOTCS are very underrated and I honestly prefer both to The Last Crusade, which is still very good but IMO suffers from being too much like a more comedic Raiders remake.

The Dark Knight Rises is underrated by about half ... and probably overrated by the other half.

SnakeDoc

TDKR might count as at least semi-underrated. It has plenty of praise but also enough negativity towards it.

Die Hard With a Vengeance is pretty well-liked and is often considered the best DH sequel from what I've seen. Not really underrated IMO, which isn't to put it down because it's actually my favorite of the series.

I saw someone said Batman Forever, and i agree. I love Forever, people seem to get caught up in the fact its very stylized like Batman & Robin and put it in the same category but it has some very dark elements and a pretty cohesive story IMO, not to mention some great action.

I know they cut out alot of scenes that had alot more character development for bruce, it be interesting see them in the film.

I saw someone said Batman Forever, and i agree. I love Forever, people seem to get caught up in the fact its very stylized like Batman & Robin and put it in the same category but it has some very dark elements and a pretty cohesive story IMO, not to mention some great action.

I know they cut out alot of scenes that had alot more character development for bruce, it be interesting see them in the film.

Kilmer wasn't a bad Wayne or Batman. I actually prefer him to Keaton. The costuming was good. Riddler was fine. The movie was cartoonish, but intentionally so ... and it wasn't as bad as B&R.

I thought the big mistake in Forever was Two Face. The Riddler was done well ... Carrey's over-the-top thing works for Riddler. It would've worked better if Jones's Two Face was more serious and threatening. Instead, they tried to make him a Joker knock-off, and ended-up with two over-the-top villains ... and it didn't work as well as it could've.

I actually prefer it to Batman Returns ... which may be classified as a crime against humanity around these parts.

SnakeDoc

Yeah that was the tragic downfall of the movie, the over-the top villians. I head Carry and Jones were trying to oneup eachother on set, but i cant comment or speculate

Back