Underrated Horror Films?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I always thought of myself as a guy who likes horror films. Some of the names I'm seeing ... horror? really?
Sleepaway Camp? I recall seeing that when it first came out and leaving the theater going: WTF?
The Descent? OUCH! 99 minutes of my life I can never get back.
I guess I am getting old afterall. I remember when "horror" meant scaring you, not a gratuitous amount of gore or slashing.

I think that's why I am not a big horror fan myself.
It seems to be more about blood and guts than about being scary which most Horror films are not.

No, no, no. You were arguing that women (at least the ones you've boinked) have boobies and a boy's pee pee. I countered that they don't, hence, why Sleepaway Camp is considered a "horror" movie. :wink1:

LOL! Thats right, I remember now. :lol

I liked the Descent. I though it was creepy, claustrophobic, and (most of all) different. Maybe I am just a wuss though...

Well heres the other thing in regards to horror being actually "scary". I can honestly say I love horror and "scary" movies...now when is the last time I actually seen a movie that was "scary" I couldnt even tell you. I dont need blood and guts to make my movie "scary" but at the same time those elements are what the horror genre is made up of and all its sub-genres. To say you horror isnt "horror" because nothing is really "scary" anymore just means your missing out on alot of flicks. If my horror collection consisted of movies that I thought were actually "scary" I wouldnt have very many. Just my 2 cents

Don't think people will class it as horror, and loads of people can't stand it, but I'm gonna go and say it anyway...

The Wicker Man (2006)

Don't shoot! I just really enjoyed it. :wink1:

Watching The Funhouse now. Seems good so far, but I hope it doesn't get all terrible when the horror starts. Never seen it before.

Don't think people will class it as horror, and loads of people can't stand it, but I'm gonna go and say it anyway...

The Wicker Man (2006)

Don't shoot! I just really enjoyed it. :wink1:

I hated that movie :monkey4

what it portrays is just sick.

Not much films scare me much anymore. Seems they feel scaring someone nowadays is the play a loud sharp sound to do the job. Exorcist uncut version is the only movie to this day that gives me the shakes. But I do remember when I saw Event Horizon in theatre when it first came out, It got me a bit worked up. Don't know if I would feel the same again if I would to see it recently.

how about the movie the gravedancers. the concept was kinda scary, with some cheesy bits here and there though.

Dog Soldiers and Outpost, they're awesome (especially DS). Descent was also awesome, great atmosphere.

Dog Soldiers and Outpost, they're awesome (especially DS). Descent was also awesome, great atmosphere.

Mentioned both earlier in the thread. They both flew in way under the radar and from the boxes look like they might be crap but are surprisingly awesome, hidden gems. :rock:rock:rock

Definitely. I've looked back and seen that you've mentioned Outpost back in may, i just didn't look that far behind before i posted, seems reasonable :)

Is Black Sheep any good? How about Ghost Ship (seen it when i was little, and that opening scene with the slicing is one of the BEST scenes ever)? Or Splinter?

Definitely. I've looked back and seen that you've mentioned Outpost back in may, i just didn't look that far behind before i posted, seems reasonable :)

Is Black Sheep any good? How about Ghost Ship (seen it when i was little, and that opening scene with the slicing is one of the BEST scenes ever)? Or Splinter?

Ghost Ship friggin rocks!!!

I think splinter is fantastic, a basic parasite type film. Really cool and the creature thing is awesome. I thought it was well worth the watch and am trying to find it used so I can add it to my collection.

i say pass on black sheep. i find it too funny and cheesy than horror, IMO.:lol

Martyrs stands out as one of the only horror flicks to actually horrify me in close to a decade.....always going to be an underrated and hate-producing flick though, just because of the nature of the film.

Martyrs was insane. It got long at points, but if you stick with it, there is true horror there.

I saw Screamers the other day. What a flashback and still not a bad film.

Back