Underrated Horror Films?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hell yeah, Creep is awesome. I have that movie in my collection also. Really cool, I think that was one of those sleeper hits and kinda got by the radar so to speak...at leas I like it as well.

OK, sometimes there is a fine line between horror and sci-fi thriller. Repo Men rides that line. I'd certainly "fear the Repo Man", but horror? You decide. It flew under the radar it seems and I just watched it last night. It is not a bad flick (IMO), but I just can't imagine a government that would allow such a process of "repossession". I am not naive enough to think that big business has no hand in government, but this really pushes boundaries.

That said, the ending you think you see coming, will be pulled out from under you before you know it. :) Enjoy!

Underatted - The Myst, Wrong Turn, High Tension, The Decent, and my all time favorite The Strangers.

Underatted - The Myst, Wrong Turn, High Tension, The Decent, and my all time favorite The Strangers.

Yeah I will agree with the Myst and Wrong Turn. While not for everyone, I do think there underrated. I love the Myst and I love Wrong Turn...only the first one. The sequels well thats a whole new
thread. As for High Tension cant agree...I remember hearing about High Tension long before it even was released the hype was so big for it. I remember when they were throwing around the title "Switchblade Romance" and people were raving about how violent it was and it was a must watch for gorehounds and such. Regardless I love it and it sits in my collection :)

The descent is great (IMO), but hardly underrated. Same for High Tension. If anything, I think High Tension is a tad over-rated, but to each their own...

I watched the Tales from the darkside movie years ago as a kid. Gonna watch that one again soon. It's probably gonna suck compared to the awesome film that I remember. :lol

I agree. Strangers was very creepy. However, its another story that might fall flat if the residents of the invaded home were gun owners.

I am not a gun lobbyist (I swear), but I guess I try to put myself in the position of some of these "victims" when I watch horror movies. We can all laugh at the half naked gal who walks out into the dark, spooky woods yelling, "hello! Is there anyone there", but if someone comes into my home with bad intent, zombie or amongst the living, they better be bullet proof or the story ends rather unceremoniously... Call me Mr. Buzzkill...

I just saw Sleep Away Camp for the first time. Don't know if this was ever consider under rated when it came out in the 80's but I still don't know how I feel about the movie just yet. However, I must say the final part at the end was a bit of a disturbing image for me.

Jeepers Creepers (I even liked the second one, but not enough to put it on the list)
John Carpenters Prince Of Darkness (I remember it getting terrible reviews)
Kalifornia (It's sort of a horror thriller)
Cube (I am sure the Saw guys had this in their video collection)
Child's Play 1 and 2

Wow, I always thought of myself as a guy who likes horror films. Some of the names I'm seeing ... horror? really?
Sleepaway Camp? I recall seeing that when it first came out and leaving the theater going: WTF?
The Descent? OUCH! 99 minutes of my life I can never get back.
I guess I am getting old afterall. I remember when "horror" meant scaring you, not a gratuitous amount of gore or slashing.

I think Nam has had a few opinions on Sleep Away Camp. I believe it is amongst his favorites. :nana:

No, no, no. You were arguing that women (at least the ones you've boinked) have boobies and a boy's pee pee. I countered that they don't, hence, why Sleepaway Camp is considered a "horror" movie. :wink1:

Back