UNCHARTED 4: A Thief's End - PS4 Exclusive

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uncharted didn't have that type of impact, it was probably the best looking PS3 game at the time (not surprising 1 year after launch, there weren't many games) and Uncharted 2 was the best looking when it came out, and then Uncharted 3, and then The Last of Us. The gameplay didn't inspire any other games, maybe the newest Tomb Raider if anything. If they weren't the most graphically impressive games when they came out, I doubt people would care much. Notice the thing about Uncharted 4 that people are most interested about is how it looks.

Uncharted didn't have that type of impact, it was probably the best looking PS3 game at the time (not surprising 1 year after launch, there weren't many games) and Uncharted 2 was the best looking when it came out, and then Uncharted 3, and then The Last of Us. The gameplay didn't inspire any other games, maybe the newest Tomb Raider if anything. If they weren't the most graphically impressive games when they came out, I doubt people would care much. Notice the thing about Uncharted 4 that people are most interested about is how it looks.

But when can you trust cinematic trailers for how a game will look these days? :(

But when can you trust cinematic trailers for how a game will look these days? :(

Yeah, that's one thing I'm a bit concerned about Uncharted 4, realistically it's too early to show anything from the game, and in previous games the cinematics were prerecorded even if they were rendered in the game engine.

Who cares anyway, i have alot of faith and love for Naughty Dog, and that comes from a lifetime Xbox guy!

Turn around and then look at the level, it lacks the attention to detail that becomes standard for video games.

View attachment 120924
Look at how his head isn't the right size for his body, his very ugly low-poly body.

View attachment 120923
These beautiful clouds, when you look down at the ocean there's a nice tiled normal map

View attachment 120922
Lack of shadows on anything at all, and very low detail plants.

And it ran horribly. Years later, we get Uncharted 3 which looks way better and has much higher performance.

I honestly don't know how you can post beautiful pictures and still claim the game looks like crap. I feel speechless. This game looks wonderful, and has been reviewed as such by so many people, yet you seem to look for ugliness in the smallest of places....

I feel you are taking nitpicking to an all new level. I don't hate you for having an opinion, I just don't for the life of me get it...

That is all...

Reviews:

Gamespot: "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is not a game about new ideas. The gameplay can and has been summed up as "Tomb Raider meets Gears of War," and the story plays almost like an unfilmed National Treasure script, which is another way of saying that the Indiana Jones influence on the story is palpable. Keep in mind that "derivative" isn't the same as "bad." Developer Naughty Dog has assembled its borrowed parts with great proficiency to create an action adventure game with momentum, one that is filled with exciting set pieces, a real cinematic scope, and some of the most gorgeous visuals you'll see in a game..."

"Even if what's happening during the in-engine cutscenes isn't significant, it always looks great. Much of the game takes place in dense jungle environments and a variety of ancient ruins, which the game renders with a nearly photorealistic level of detail. Plants sway, water trickles, and the textures really look like they've got texture. There are a few moments when the game goes outside its wheelhouse with some murky industrial environments that look flat and drab by comparison, but these sequences are rare."

"The same terrific attention to detail in the graphics is paid to the way Uncharted sounds."

IGN: "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune -- a title whose screenshots have been lauded for months -- to be the saving grace of Sony's 2007."

"Graphically, Uncharted's beautiful as you tear down trees with turrets, watch Nate's clothes saturate with lagoon water and the sun filter through the leaves, but there is a lot of texture pop-in on the jungle floor and treasures while aliasing on the walls and screen tearing are par for the course. It shouldn't take you out of the experience, but it is noticeable."

CheatCC: "The first thing you'll notice in Uncharted are the gorgeous visuals. Lush jungle landscapes, creepy caves, and stunning set pieces--a German U-Boat teetering atop a waterfall's edge is a highlight--are all complemented by some of the best shadowing and lighting effects we've seen in this gaming generation. Whether you're exploring a torch-lit cavern or scaling a sun-soaked cliff side, you'll continually be floored by the realism yielded by these effects. This attention to detail extends to the game's use of water as well; postcard-perfect waterfalls and ocean backdrops are like nothing you've seen in previous games. What the ground-breaking BioShock did for claustrophobic liquidy effects--trickling pipes, leaky windows--Uncharted has done for larger scale water representation in games. If Uncharted doesn't succeed in making you want to become a real-life treasure hunter, its pop-off-the-screen tropical splendor will at least have you longing for a beach-bathing getaway."

Console Monster: "The superb attention to detail, coupled with mind-blowing visuals, fantastic combat, immense climbing puzzles and a brilliant storyline makes Uncharted: Drakes Fortune the best PS3 title to date."

These are just a small few excerpts from reviews. I didn't go quoting all of them just IGN, Gamespot, and a couple off of Metacritic. And unlike some games this game HAS aged well.

Got back to when Uncharted 1 came out and tell me one game that could compete with it at the time or even looked as good as it? If I remember xbox had what? Halo 3 and Gears of War 1, no comparison,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Compared to Uncharted tho, nothing could touch it at the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The point wasn't that Uncharted had bad graphics back then, it's that today it doesn't hold up, the graphics are poor compared to other games on the same console. The gameplay is actually the main problem though, to rerelease the game it has to be fun despite the graphics, and it really isn't.

I honestly don't know how you can post beautiful pictures and still claim the game looks like crap. I feel speechless. This game looks wonderful, and has been reviewed as such by so many people, yet you seem to look for ugliness in the smallest of places....

I feel you are taking nitpicking to an all new level. I don't hate you for having an opinion, I just don't for the life of me get it...

That is all...

Square clouds dude, I don't know what clouds look like where you're from but I've never seen a square cloud in real life. They would have been better off with a plane with a picture of a real cloud on it instead of trying to make particle clouds.

Got back to when Uncharted 1 came out and tell me one game that could compete with it at the time or even looked as good as it? If I remember xbox had what? Halo 3 and Gears of War 1, no comparison,...

Totally disagree

That can be true, and there's games that are pretty old that I still enjoy playing even despite the graphics. I don't think Uncharted 1 is that way though. Things like how the levels repeat and the generally poor gameplay make me never want to play it again. I feel somewhat similar about the first Halo game, most of it is pretty great, but it repeats levels as well (much more than Uncharted) and has some nonsensical parts and I don't really want to play that one again either.

It's not on the Last of Us level visually or game play wise but I really have no complaints considering this is from 2007.

I'd actually prefer U1 gameplay over the last of us, def when it comes to gun play, didn't enjoy that bit at all, everything else way great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with The Last of Us gun play is that a lot of people didn't fully grasp that it isn't really a cover shooter like Uncharted... it's more like Splinter Cell than Uncharted in the battle mechanics. Stealthing an entire area can be quite satisfying..

As for Uncharted Drakes Fortune, there is still something I like about the tactics of it vs the sequels... The sequels became more shooterish, and introduced more weapons and bullet-sponges.. Crushing difficulty with limited ammo is actually quite intense. Aim for head shots with your 9mms, switch to cover fire when you get in trouble, save your shotty for enemies that rush you, save the AK/M for when you run out of shotty ammo, switch to sniper and single shot guns when you can get them.

And Gears, well... pretty, arguably better looking if you want to get technical (and like lots of greys)... but if you want to talk repetitive, Gears is your game, and so cliche'd.. and the dialogue is terrible... and next to Forza it is my favourite Xbox franchise, lol. Halo on the other hand I think is the most overrated series in console history, but then I'm not an online vs player...

Im not saying the gameplay influenced other games; I'm saying the animation, the engine and the detail did. Since then, I have seen MUCH more attention to detail in everything. In a clip after the first game, they explain because things are NOT PERFECT, its what makes everything seem believable. I'm not saying it looks life like, but believable.

Im not saying the gameplay influenced other games; I'm saying the animation, the engine and the detail did. Since then, I have seen MUCH more attention to detail in everything. In a clip after the first game, they explain because things are NOT PERFECT, its what makes everything seem believable. I'm not saying it looks life like, but believable.

Games were always going to improve graphically, there's nothing that they did that other people weren't already doing, graphically. The biggest impact that it had on the industry was that the Indiana Jones game that was in development was cancelled.

Yeah ok [emoji107] nobody was or is doing anything like Naughty Dog, end of [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back