Action Figure (Un)Happy Anniversary - Hasbro No Longer Selling G.I. JOE Brand Products

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first instinct is to point out that there were times in the past when GI Joe seemed totally done for, was only released in small numbers or as exclusive convention releases, and yet came back in force in the mid-late '00s. But on the other hand, unlike Transformers and other lines, kids nowadays aren't being exposed to a GI Joe product that they care about. I think the truth is that Hasbro capitalized on the latent, brewing nostalgia many adults had for this stuff (self included) with the 25th Anniversary stuff, and to a lesser extent, with the Sideshow figures. But for many even that was a passing fad, and now I think most old fogeys have been satisfied and don't see much more value in GI Joe, as most of what they wanted was provided for. We're apparently getting the 12" inch versions of the old figures (or at least some of the '82-83 ones), and maybe that will be somewhat successful, but by and large I think GI Joe had its last major hurrah. The recent movies sucked, as did the newer cartoons (with the exception of the excellent Resolute). That's the stuff that would need to grab hold to younger audiences if GI Joe is to survive at all. Whether it's just bad products (I think that's the main explanation), or a generation that just can't understand why GI Joe appealed to folks in the first place (I don't think this is it, but can understand how Hasbro execs might), that hasn't happened recently.

I have to somberly and completely agree, Kara. As was said in the old Sgt Savage one off cartoon, old soldiers don't die, they just fade away.

I imagine military themed toys are probably a tough sell these days. If you look at the two periods when GI Joe was at it's peak, it was post WWII/pre-Vietnam and the Cold War Reagan era, two periods when Americans were very pro military. After a decade long quagmire in Iraq, I think there's a very post Vietnam attitude. Us old farts who grew up during those peak times have already been catered to, and today's kids have their video games and phones to play with. I doubt Joe will ever see active duty again outside of a few niche offerings for nostalgic adults.

I don't think it's that people are anti-military but more anti-gun then anything. This happened just weeks ago.

School Officials Ban National Guard Shirts Over RIFLE IMAGE | The Daily Caller

There was also a story from years back where a school didn't want a statue of a SEAL at their school. It had nothing to do that he was a SEAL but that he was holding a rifle.

Forgot what forum I was on. I don't really get society now. It tries to teach kids that it is unacceptable to hunt, target shoot, or even have toy guns but get them whatever shooting game that their little hearts desire is ok. And this in no way means that I think video games should be banned. I just believe that kids who handle real firearms are taught about the safe use of them and the implications of using them versus what happens in a video game. There would be a whole lot less gun violence among children and young adults if they were actually taught about safety instead of just turning a blind eye to it

Last edited:
Though I'm sure it affects decisions made by Hasbro, I don't think kids care much one way or the other for the state/perception of the U.S. military or global political affairs. I didn't know much about it at all as a 5 year old but still loved the cartoon and toys. Cartoon primarily, for the cool looking, colorful characters, good writing as far as a kids' cartoon goes, fun action, the often easy, playful interaction between the good guys (Shipwreck, Lady Jaye, Flint, Bazooka and Alpine), the great voice acting, etc. But when you don't present something to connect to kids on some level, that's when franchises die out.

To hoodoneit's post, if you can't have folks shooting at each other with laser guns (and for all I know that might not be allowable on kids' TV anymore), then that definitely creates a problem for a show that's supposed to be about pseudo military groups fighting it out.

They need to make a kick ass G.I.*Joe video game. That is what kids play with now. Not action figures.

A Call of Duty knockoff with Joe, Cobra, Iron Grenadiers and Cobra La would rock.

Though I'm sure it affects decisions made by Hasbro, I don't think kids care much one way or the other for the state/perception of the U.S. military or global political affairs. I didn't know much about it at all as a 5 year old but still loved the cartoon and toys. Cartoon primarily, for the cool looking, colorful characters, good writing as far as a kids' cartoon goes, fun action, the often easy, playful interaction between the good guys (Shipwreck, Lady Jaye, Flint, Bazooka and Alpine), the great voice acting, etc. But when you don't present something to connect to kids on some level, that's when franchises die out.

To hoodoneit's post, if you can't have folks shooting at each other with laser guns (and for all I know that might not be allowable on kids' TV anymore), then that definitely creates a problem for a show that's supposed to be about pseudo military groups fighting it out.

Kids don't, but I'm sure the parents buying the toys do.

Wait, how can Hasbro stop making GI Joe figures: aren't they gonna wanna capitalize on their third, upcoming movie (which would probably mean the final nail on the coffin)?

if hasbro had any sense, they's strop trying to re-imagine gi joe with movies, and instead jump right to where it would likely ba a liscense to print money.

make a Call of duty/ Battlefield esque First person shooter video game.

I'm not a fan of those, but they make ridiculous money. and any clone, if done right does too.

eDIT ; Redacted bad intel.

I would say it's much less of an issue of public sentiment versus corporate mentality being anti-military. True heroes has an entire aisle of military, law-enforcement, etc. toys at Toys "R" Us and seems to be selling quite well. Hasbro could counter this easily with better marketing and value added features but they just don't care to try obviously. They missed out on a huge opportunity to pull through their Kreo line with a video game.

They need to make a kick ass G.I.*Joe video game. That is what kids play with now. Not action figures.

A Call of Duty knockoff with Joe, Cobra, Iron Grenadiers and Cobra La would rock.

I would play that even though I dont play Call of Duty games...

I noticed this on Friday when I was looking for Joes on Hasbrotoyshop.com and couldn't find anything there, not even a GI Joe category. I just didn't think anything of it and went down to Toys R Us and picked up the Lady Jaye/Baroness reissue two pack.

Military themed toys do sell, The Call Of Duty Mega Bloks sets are doing quite well as do most of the expensive building block toy sets (Kreo GI Joe sets apparently aren't doing so well), and the Star Wars and Ninja Turtles Action Figures also do well. Not to mention all the first person shooter video games like COD. All of that is eating up any available money that could be spent on Joe Action figures, especially that incredibly overpriced Lego stuff.
I think the GI Joe brand has been damaged by the terrible movies, lack luster action figure design, and the overdose of Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Cobra Commander, and Destro figures clogging the shelves. Hasbro killed the line with their incompetent business decisions and tarnished the GI Joe brand.

GI Joe just needs a rest before it could sell again.

This might be a blessing in disguise because this means the license is up for grabs, no longer playing middleman to Hasbro. A lot of toy companies most notable companies that do 1/6 scale and other collectibles know that g.i.joe market is for people between the ages of 60-late 20's. these people don't really buy 3" figs anymore and want statues and bigger figures with better sculpts and better quality. Now all we need them to do is shoot there other foot off and get rid of star wars which wont be until that new star wars movie comes out (if it comes out). then that's when Hasbro will close up shop for good.

It might be a year or 2 before the license is assessable to purchase, I don't think dragon or soldier story will do it i haven't seen them do much recently

If i was sideshow or ht id buy the rights and produce the hell of it and then be done with it.

Last edited:
It''s a shame we never got a video game to allow you to play key characters of gijoe and cobra.
Id love to see a street-fighter/mortal kombat version of g.i.joe there was so many game options that hasbro was to lazy to take advantage of.

Back