Tyrannosaurus rex maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got mine a couple days go...I got #6. What im not to crazy about on this piece is the scaring on the tail which should be red. Instead its painted this dark brown color:confused:....Ive never seen brown blood.

Chris

As discussed several times before, old scar tissue does not typically appear bright crimson. While this Rex's wounds do appear less vibrant (as does much of the paint in general) than shown in the stock photos, this is actually a more realistic hue.

Old battle wounds either scarring or scabbing over. Were it a fresh wound it would look much more similar to the injuries inflicted to the T.rex and trike in the VS dio.

Mine just came in yesterday, after fears that no one would be home to sign for it. (whew)

This is definitely the best statue I've purchased from Sideshow, or any other company for that matter. The sculpt and paint job are fantastic. I mean, it even look like SS made a little slit to represent the a n u s! :lol Even my sis, who tends to make fun of me for my purchases, thought that it was well worth the price and was highly impressed by it.

It's currently in a spot over my desk, but I'd much rather have it center stage on my prop shelf or on my DVD racks, which is a more prime display spot. I just don't have the time to rearrange anything at the moment =(

Mine just came in yesterday, after fears that no one would be home to sign for it. (whew)

This is definitely the best statue I've purchased from Sideshow, or any other company for that matter. The sculpt and paint job are fantastic. I mean, it even look like SS made a little slit to represent the a n u s! :lol Even my sis, who tends to make fun of me for my purchases, thought that it was well worth the price and was highly impressed by it.

It's currently in a spot over my desk, but I'd much rather have it center stage on my prop shelf or on my DVD racks, which is a more prime display spot. I just don't have the time to rearrange anything at the moment =(

Congrats on getting the king.:chew:banana

I was actually looking at mine last night, and I realized it was probably my favorite Sideshow piece i've gotten. That definately says alot.:D

The little "slit" is actually the cloacal slit, a reptilian feature found in most dinosaur reconstructions. These days, they can be seen in any decent dinosaur toy.

I have to admit, this piece has grown on me tremendously. I was a bit overwhelmed initially, but he's just so distinguished, you can't help but love him.

The little "slit" is actually the cloacal slit, a reptilian feature found in most dinosaur reconstructions. These days, they can be seen in any decent dinosaur toy.

I have to admit, this piece has grown on me tremendously. I was a bit overwhelmed initially, but he's just so distinguished, you can't help but love him.

Exactly. The cloacal vent is present in all extant birds and mammals, so logic dictates dinosaurs likely shared this feature. It's for the sake of paleontological accuracy that the depiction was used.

Glad the King has grown on you, Dan! He remains my favorite in the line thus far. He literally bleeds a story, a life history, in such a way as to rival any other dinosaur collectible I've ever seen.

Meant to say "underwhelmed" there, but yes. He rocks big time, and he's leering over at me as I type.

Exactly. The cloacal vent is present in all extant birds and mammals, so logic dictates dinosaurs likely shared this feature. It's for the sake of paleontological accuracy that the depiction was used.

Well, whatever the slit it, it's amazing that the sculptors put it there.

As I said, most dinosaur figures have them these days, including the decade-old Battat Diplodocus. But yes it's cool, and yes, I went out into the park and looked up all the dinosaurs' skirts. :naughty

Meant to say "underwhelmed" there, but yes. He rocks big time, and he's leering over at me as I type.

Glad to hear it. Krentz puts a great deal of thought into each sculpt he creates. With the T.rex maquette he wanted a grizzled old fighter who, despite his age, is capable of dealing any other individual he meets a stern thrashing - the inspiration for characterization was Clint Eastwood's character in "Unforgiven", fascinatingly but not surprisingly. Old, tough, but doubted by none in his supremacy as a fighter. Very cool. Also noteworthy, it seems David Krentz will be writing the backstories for all of the Dinosauria pieces in the foreseeable future. :rock :rock :rock

As I said, most dinosaur figures have them these days, including the decade-old Battat Diplodocus. But yes it's cool, and yes, I went out into the park and looked up all the dinosaurs' skirts. :naughty

It's a nice way to make dinosaurs accurate and always presentable for children. If toys of modern mammals were always depicted with accuracy, most kids probably couldn't get around the massive set of testicles on their new plastic African lion. :lol

Though I will say that Papo, easily the best producer of wildlife figures in terms of mind-blowing detail, favors accuracy over censorship. God bless them.

Yeah, that's why I was so quick to add the Papo lioness to my store inventory. It's a shame she doesn't sell the way dinosaurs do, because she's really gorgeous when you see her in person.

LionnePapo-1.jpg

Might have to stock up on some more of their modern wildlife figures. I hear their komodo is excellent.

The Komodo dragon is superb. I have the lioness, attacking male lion, attacking tigress, Komodo dragon, Nile crocodile, Great White shark, leopard, and hippo. All are truly exceptional.

Wish I could see them all in person before ordering. I could only find one local Papo dealer, and all they sold were those silly knights on horseback.

Ech. Did you see their 2010 lineup of dinosaurs? So far, it looks like there'll be an Oviraptor and Pachyrhinosaurus.

Back