Tron Legacy

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At making just 18 mil on friday, it will prolly finish with less than 50 for the weekend. A bit weak for a film of this size. Might be another 30 years for the sequel :dunno

Remember Avatar only made 70 million for the weekend, which isn't impressive at all--but this is the season where movies have legs.

Disney had really high hopes for Tron: Legacy. They were planning ride attractions, tons of merchandising tie-ins that we haven't seen before, and were looking for a franchise with multiple sequels. Insiders were leaking that it was a huge shock that people weren't receiving this movie well as they thought they'd not only take the weekend but literally smash records.

Even if the movie does "okay" in the first weekend, with as much as was being put behind it, it'll be interesting to see if they'll proceed. Disney isn't known for backing "just okay" films with sequels look at the Narnia series and rumors are that the overlays onto current rides and places like in Tomorrowlands were put on hold.

I enjoyed the movie but its a really niche film and something thats hard for some folks to grasp. Another thing it seems most movies that they advertise the crap out of end up struggling at the box office.

Disney had really high hopes for Tron: Legacy. They were planning ride attractions, tons of merchandising tie-ins that we haven't seen before, and were looking for a franchise with multiple sequels. Insiders were leaking that it was a huge shock that people weren't receiving this movie well as they thought they'd not only take the weekend but literally smash records.

Even if the movie does "okay" in the first weekend, with as much as was being put behind it, it'll be interesting to see if they'll proceed. Disney isn't known for backing "just okay" films with sequels look at the Narnia series and rumors are that the overlays onto current rides and places like in Tomorrowlands were put on hold.

Yeah this seemed really apparent that Disney thought they were going to rake in the $$ with this movie. Unfortunately, it seems that they forgot something here. I loved it and I'm sure a bunch of the Tron fanboys also love it, but it doesn't mean the movie is going to do well.

I think this movie might have legs.
First it was the critics who I totally disagree with putting down the movie, plus the bad weather has not helped. Most people who have seen it, have enjoyed it much more the "Professional" critics did, so I think people going back to the film, and good word of mouth might help this movie get a good result in the end.

I love the movie! My only gripe was
Spoiler Spoiler:

Thought the young Clu/flynn look was pretty well done. Some shots had the Uncanny Valley going on, others looked amazing. All in the eyes - they cant quite get them right with today's tech

Which is why Davy Jones in POTC worked so well... They used Nighy's eyes in the shots.

I love the movie! My only gripe was
Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Which is why Davy Jones in POTC worked so well... They used Nighy's eyes in the shots.

They never used his eyes, they were thinking at the time of filming that they might, and they did makeup around his eyes--but the CG effect worked well enough so that they didn't need to

I think the main issue with how the CG CLU didn't work was the animation. They used footage of Jeff Bridges as a reference, but they didn't do motion capture. They animated his face by hand and I think that's why it didn't look right, his mouth just didn't move like it should. And they can definitely do better--Curious Case of Benjamin Button, or even Avatar

They never used his eyes, they were thinking at the time of filming that they might, and they did makeup around his eyes--but the CG effect worked well enough so that they didn't need to

I think the main issue with how the CG CLU didn't work was the animation. They used footage of Jeff Bridges as a reference, but they didn't do motion capture. They animated his face by hand and I think that's why it didn't look right, his mouth just didn't move like it should. And they can definitely do better--Curious Case of Benjamin Button, or even Avatar

Exactly. Bill in Pirates looked like this:

pirates-topper.jpg

2093404426_f75361c286_o.jpg

They digitally reproduced his eyes but didn't actually use them. Had they done the same thing with Bridges it would have worked better. Its impressive looking but its definitely obvious is computer generated...which actually isn't a bad thing in the realm of TRON if they had done the same with other characters to give it the overall look.

Exactly. When he wasn't speaking he looked pretty good.

IMO the only problem with the CGI was that we already had a frame of reference for what Bridges looks like. Its impossible to get perfect accuracy with art. I think its the most believable looking CGI human lkeness ever created, even if it didn't 100% capture Jeff Bridges.

Boundaries were pushed forward.

I saw it this weekend and really enjoyed it. It's not a blockbuster, but not all movies have to be to be engaging and entertaining. I thought it was a good transition of the story and the pace was good enough to keep me entertained. Certain scenes really brought me back to the original which I first saw when I was a kid. Can't say that I can sit through the original now, sadly, but Tron Legacy was pretty satisfying.

The only disappointment for me was the Tron character, which many have mentioned already in the thread.

I loved this movie. It was a fun ride. Not sure if spoilers are safe in here or not.

Most EPIC moments...
Spoiler Spoiler:

They didnt use mocap for clu's facial animation? That is a really stupid decision. What was the point
Of having cameras and dots on his face then?

I loved this movie. It was a fun ride. Not sure if spoilers are safe in here or not.

Most EPIC moments...
Spoiler Spoiler:

:lecture I was getting a few chills during that final scene

They didnt use mocap for clu's facial animation? That is a really stupid decision. What was the point
Of having cameras and dots on his face then?

I know--they had the whole setup that they went through but then they had a bunch of animators work over it, so it wasn't like it should have been.

They should have done like Benjamin Button where they did a sort of micro motion capture--the type that doesn't just go off points on the face but tracks all surfaces of the face to very precise detail.

Back