Trick Or Treat Studios: Halloween 1, 2, 4, 5 and 2018 Michael Myers

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was watching Dean Knight's videos this morning on his thoughts about these figures and the comparison to expensive customs, and he was pretty impressed.

Given that what we're seeing in official photos is a production sample, I think, short of doing amazing custom faux hair, you couldn't ask for much more with the portrait, the weathering, the faint skin tone at the bottom edges of the neck, looks really nice.

Like I said when we heard of the price, I think the bulk of cost is going towards the mask quality and the licenses, which is why we're getting an early 2000s quality body and a jumpsuit that is not bad but not amazing.

A custom will have a higher quality jumpsuit, hands and knife and possibly include the title pumpkin, but to me, the difference between what we're getting and the quality those items would have is minimal enough. I don't need a real metal knife, the shape at least looks right on this plastic one. I may upgrade the body/hands on mine, but that's a choice and I could live with what we're getting and the jumpsuit will look fine on a shelf and some of the features that would separate a nice custom from this would come down smaller details like quality of the buttons and such, this does it's job, it's not as if it looks like the old Sideshow jumpsuit.

Given that what we're seeing in official photos is a production sample, I think, short of doing amazing custom faux hair, you couldn't ask for much more with the portrait, the weathering, the faint skin tone at the bottom edges of the neck, looks really nice.

Like I said when we heard of the price, I think the bulk of cost is going towards the mask quality and the licenses, which is why we're getting an early 2000s quality body and a jumpsuit that is not bad but not amazing.

A custom will have a higher quality jumpsuit, hands and knife and possibly include the title pumpkin, but to me, the difference between what we're getting and the quality those items would have is minimal enough. I don't need a real metal knife, the shape at least looks right on this plastic one. I may upgrade the body/hands on mine, but that's a choice and I could live with what we're getting and the jumpsuit will look fine on a shelf and some of the features that would separate a nice custom from this would come down smaller details like quality of the buttons and such, this does it's job, it's not as if it looks like the old Sideshow jumpsuit.

There was a little bit of a spat on one of the Facebook pages about the TOTS sculpt being better than someone's expensive custom.

I've never studied the different masks for each film before now, so this is the most I've ever considered them. I have to say that in the photos the expensive custom looked to be overworked, or over-painted and tended more towards the worn 2018 mask.

On the sculpted hair Dean said he was looking forward to having that option, because the hair had been sculpted into the distinct style. So no need to work on styling fabric hair.

For me, personally, I find that most of the custom sculpts, even the best ones, feel like the eye/nose/mouth area is at a smaller scale than the overall head and looks off, like the details are great but it looks disproportionate. When these got shown at Toy Fair, everything looked nailed to me.

The reality is with Myers, and especially the '78, there is a lot of personal preference at play more so than other characters. You have some who want the coveralls to be the exact color they did research to find out the original costume was rather than the color it appeared on screen because of the tint of the film. There's also a lot of room for people to have different visions of what the mask should look like because despite it being Castle wearing it, there is variation because things like heat can affect warping and such, it's not going to be as consistent as a person's face or even a mask built out of more solid materials.

For me, this headsculpt captures my overall vision perfectly and I couldn't ask for better.

For me, personally, I find that most of the custom sculpts, even the best ones, feel like the eye/nose/mouth area is at a smaller scale than the overall head and looks off, like the details are great but it looks disproportionate. When these got shown at Toy Fair, everything looked nailed to me.

The reality is with Myers, and especially the '78, there is a lot of personal preference at play more so than other characters. You have some who want the coveralls to be the exact color they did research to find out the original costume was rather than the color it appeared on screen because of the tint of the film. There's also a lot of room for people to have different visions of what the mask should look like because despite it being Castle wearing it, there is variation because things like heat can affect warping and such, it's not going to be as consistent as a person's face or even a mask built out of more solid materials.

For me, this headsculpt captures my overall vision perfectly and I couldn't ask for better.

Sounds good.

Glad I pre-ordered him as he really was missing from the collection.

This is the image I think of most when I envision Michael from '78.

0007.jpg

Yeah this is definitely a wait for in hand situation. Unproven company, first sixth scale release, we've all become too wary of these tropes.

I like the 78 Michael but the body does look too skinny. I'd like to throw it on a different body but I'm getting it never the less.

I like the 78 Michael but the body does look too skinny. I'd like to throw it on a different body but I'm getting it never the less.

Not sure how much a body swap will help, to me it seems a matter of tailoring, and a bulkier body may not even fit the outfit.

These are some of the best full body shots I've come by.

6c.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

42003591_159346308323378_5916175254207857187_n.jpg

44906198_262701304358964_8999762059620195274_n.jpg

46575429_1162242087284134_2867274737441428623_n.jpg

Comparing them to the figure, the waist/belt portion of the jumpsuit is tighter than it should be.

Trick-or-Treat-Studios-Michael-Myers-001.jpg

Trick-or-Treat-Studios-Michael-Myers-002.jpg

Trick-or-Treat-Studios-Michael-Myers-003.jpg

Trick-or-Treat-Studios-Michael-Myers-004.jpg

As others have noted, there is a chance this isn't a true production sample and the final product may vary. I wonder if there's an elastic at play that you could remove. Even at Toy Fair you can see it's tight and almost gives him like Stallone shaped upper body.

Toy-Fair-2020-Trick-or-Treat-Studios-006.jpg

Then you look at this WIP shot the sculptor had shared out, and it's not tight and it looks much better.

attachment.php

The outfit is so baggy above and below it, leads me to think something is holding it tight that could be loosened.

I can guarantee those are not production samples. Trust me on this. TOTS is infamous for saying that with their products.

I am aware of some of the issues with their masks, but the ornaments came out as expected as far as I can tell, and that’s probably the better gauge.

Not sure how much a body swap will help, to me it seems a matter of tailoring, and a bulkier body may not even fit the outfit.

These are some of the best full body shots I've come by.

View attachment 481760

View attachment 481761

View attachment 481763

View attachment 481764

View attachment 481765

View attachment 481766

Comparing them to the figure, the waist/belt portion of the jumpsuit is tighter than it should be.

Trick-or-Treat-Studios-Michael-Myers-001.jpg

Trick-or-Treat-Studios-Michael-Myers-002.jpg

Trick-or-Treat-Studios-Michael-Myers-003.jpg

Trick-or-Treat-Studios-Michael-Myers-004.jpg

As others have noted, there is a chance this isn't a true production sample and the final product may vary. I wonder if there's an elastic at play that you could remove. Even at Toy Fair you can see it's tight and almost gives him like Stallone shaped upper body.

Toy-Fair-2020-Trick-or-Treat-Studios-006.jpg

Then you look at this WIP shot the sculptor had shared out, and it's not tight and it looks much better.

attachment.php

Good post. I believe you're right.

I can guarantee those are not production samples. Trust me on this. TOTS is infamous for saying that with their products.

As a person who foolishly keeps buying the masks , I can understand your frustration. But this is different product, and their first attempt, so I?m going to hold judgements till I have the figure in hand. Really, I hope the sculpt and paint job of the mask is top notch, the rest can be easily replaced

As a person who foolishly keeps buying the masks , I can understand your frustration. But this is different product, and their first attempt, so I?m going to hold judgements till I have the figure in hand. Really, I hope the sculpt and paint job of the mask is top notch, the rest can be easily replaced

If anything, that should be cause for concern. Best case scenario, the sculpts will have potential once repainted/reworked. I can almost guarantee a price increase in the future as well. Licensed 1/6 products at this price point (even with minimal accessories)? Don't expect it to last. Bait and Switch Studios---oops Trick or Treat Studios makes halfway decent props, masks with rehaul potential and enticing product images.

However, don't get me wrong. I want these figures to be great. However, I am holding off placing any orders until they're in-hand. Also, I wouldn't recommend pre-ordering from TOTS directly either. They ship to their bigger clients first, not individuals.

As for the production versions of the ornaments, I've seen the H2 Myers one in-hand this past XMAS... it ain't pretty.

Back