Trevor Grove's Firefly Sculpts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Trevor's Firefly Sculpts

I just started on my custom Mal project so parts I have been ordering are not in yet. I was going with a recommended Regular Truetype body, and the question I had was in regards to the Steveo's Toys Mal Holster and Gun. On the site it asks for a waist size. Anyone with the Truetype able to tell me which size it is?

The options are:
4.5" to 5"
5" to 5.5"
5.5" to 6"
6" to 6.5"
6.5" to 7"
7" to 7.5"
7.5" to 8"
8" to 8.5"

Also anyone have any recommendations for the boots and pants?

I just started on my custom Mal project so parts I have been ordering are not in yet. I was going with a recommended Regular Truetype body, and the question I had was in regards to the Steveo's Toys Mal Holster and Gun. On the site it asks for a waist size. Anyone with the Truetype able to tell me which size it is?

The options are:
4.5" to 5"
5" to 5.5"
5.5" to 6"
6" to 6.5"
6.5" to 7"
7" to 7.5"
7.5" to 8"
8" to 8.5"

Also anyone have any recommendations for the boots and pants?

For boots you can ask Trevor for a pair of his sculpted ones. they are 100% accurate and are just amazing. For pants, I know some people used Indy in german disguise pants but they are hard to come by now. your best bet is battlegear toys pants. they need to be tightened a bit but they seem to look good.

If you want a more accurate belt for Mals rig you can get this...
https://cgi.ebay.ca/DID-German-WWII...ultDomain_0&hash=item43a57cd91c#ht_1352wt_905

then you can just get a random size belt from stevo and pop the holster onto the above belt. Hope that helps!

we would also need an awesome Angel with no neck to go on a muscle body.

Oh my lord, think of the possibilities. :lol: I've always wanted an Angel/Buffy and Spike that were were all the correct heights when placed together ratehr as they are now, with one giant Spike and Buffy compared to Angel who should be way taller.

this is very true. I never watched angel because I wasn't a huge fan of him in buffy, but it was on netflix and i gave it a shot and just loved it. after a couple of episodes i just kept thinking of all the parts I could use for a bash!

A Trevor Angel would be awesome! The old sculpts were nice for their time, but they're a bit dated now.

What we could do with (apart from a Willow and Faith that, ya know actually looked like the characters, were some sculpts of the leads that have some real emotion in their faces. I mean SS Spike is superb, but as It was based partly on a scan It's very black and expressionless, Something you don't think of when it comes to his character. I'd love a Spike with a smirk on his face.

I'd also love a younger looking season one Angel. Their 'City Of' was nearly there, but not quite.

Not asking for much am I. :lol

this is very true. I never watched angel because I wasn't a huge fan of him in buffy, but it was on netflix and i gave it a shot and just loved it. after a couple of episodes i just kept thinking of all the parts I could use for a bash!

Oh Buffy and AtS were great shows that will stand the test of time I think. I don't think I'll ever be as enthusiastic about a series as I was for those two.

*sob* I want my Wesley. :( It's even more annoying that apparently SS was in the process of creating a prototype of him shortly before they stopped the line.

it sucks we will never see them. I know we don't want to get Trev in trouble, and with sideshow holding the Buffy license still.... It would have be great.

Yes of course I forgot they still hold the license. But does that still include 12" figures, rather then PF and statues though?

Oh my lord, think of the possibilities. :lol: I've always wanted an Angel/Buffy and Spike that were were all the correct heights when placed together ratehr as they are now, with one giant Spike and Buffy compared to Angel who should be way taller.

Spike looks great on a TT slim which makes him a cm or so shorter than Xander and Angel left on their Sideshow bodies, which is roughly the real height difference when scaled:

picture.php

BTW I'm guessing to this licence is off-limit to Trevor. :(

I tried putting Spike on a slim but I thought his clothes and boots looked a wee bit too big on him somehow. I'm going to try and do something with him to adjust his height thats for sure. Maybe a soldier story body?

Yes, call me selfish but It's a shame Sideshow are still holding the license because I'd have loved Trev to have a go at some of the above. :(

By the way what colour jeans have you got him wearing in that pic? Also whats Xander got on dare I ask? :D

Well...He could do David from Bones and Marstors from Small Ville then you could simply kitbash to whatever you want. Of course I am splitting hairs and it probably wouldn't work out anyway LOL.

Thats a good point. Let me dream on that a while...:pray:

*ETA* Or JM as Captain John Hart from Torchwood. I mean the hair was exactly the same cut only brown.

torchwoodjohnhart.jpg

I'm thinking I really need to see Torchwood. I've never watched it LOL.

The first two seasons are fun but rather daft in places (especially the first season) but season 3 (Children of Earth) was a stunning piece of drama. Really, really riveting and so, so dark.

By the way what colour jeans have you got him wearing in that pic? Also whats Xander got on dare I ask? :D

I bought a pair of 1:6 black jeans that were faded just like Spike's. I honestly cannot remember the company as it was a year or so back.

Xander is wear ACI chinos (beautiful quality), Loading Toys shoes (they wore Adidas a lot on Buffy) and a Wild Toys Maroon hoodie. I finally bought some inkjet iron-on paper recently to make a "Troublemaker" shirt for Jayne and intend to put "Sunnydale" on Xander's hoodie.

Speaking more of scale, you inspiredd me to show off some work I have been doing on Firefly figures to put them in scale:

picture.php

It is a bit hard to see, but the bottom of their feet are aligned, thus showing the height differences.

Basically I cut the doll body at the lower legs, thighs and torso and add the desired height in a roughly 1:1:2 ratio with aluminium foil and epoxy. On Jayne with the 'fancy' muscle arms I did not want to mod them (well other than painting them as you can see), but next to Kaylee you can see a test arm from a female TT with about 1.5 ratio segmeny added to the upper arm.

F.Y.I. Sigourney Weaver is 6' 0" tall and thus the already moded Ripley doll (TT Sarah Connor body) is a perfect stand-in for Zoë, as Gina Torres is the same height. Being tall myself, although not quite that tall, I wanted the female characters in scale too. :eowyn

Edit: Shameless self-promotion, I have a sale thread for accurate 1:6 scale Mal braces/suspenders:
https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93992

Last edited:

That all works brilliantly. Really, really good work there. I love stuff that take into account the actors real heights. Makes them more authentic really.

Are those newline boost Mal is wearing? I want to do a custom Capt John Hart figure and I'm wondering what to do about his knee lengths.

they look like them to me but tracking them down is almost impossible now.

I like the scale you have there star puffs. I tried to get mine as close as possible. my Jayne is still a little short.

That all works brilliantly. Really, really good work there. I love stuff that take into account the actors real heights. Makes them more authentic really.

Are those newline boost Mal is wearing? I want to do a custom Capt John Hart figure and I'm wondering what to do about his knee lengths.

Thank you. These are not even my Firefly figures, but those for a friend. I am making a set for myself but made her's the priority.

Those are the Newline Japanese Officer boots. The Mal body is a TT advanced as released last year (Jayne has the thigh pads from it). I do intend to get Trev's whenever the next Firefly sculpt comes out.

By the way on Spike, I also replaced his t-shirt, which seems minor but really spiffied up his look. Urban Samurai Hobbies in Vancouver makes some fabulous house-brand solid colour t-shirts (still had to make my own ringer for Jayne).

Back