Transformers To PPV on 7/3, Same Day As Theaters

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vader AL said:
just hold your optimus close....OP will make it allll better.

hehe I have a ton of Primes... Man, I got more Primes than I can shake a stick at and the funny thing is there are so many Primes missing from my collection.

The ill Jedi said:
If you invite a bunch of friends over and charge them $10 to see it and include food then it's worth it. Tickets for a group of five would be $50 or more and don't even get me started on the cost of snacks at the theaters!

This could be an awesome idea!

At first, I thought "Who the hell would pay $50 for a freakin' movie??!?!", but that's a great point. This is perfect for larger groups who can go to one person's house who has a dynamite home theater system. Split the cost evenly and save on concessions.

But I do wonder how this will impact the movie theatre industry down the road. Right now, this would only cater to a niche market. But ten years down the road, close to a majority will likely have such home setups.

seems to me that if they are attempting to thwart piracy, this isn't the way to do it. video capture enables anyone to get a dvd quality copy of anything broadcast over the airwaves. if someone has the ability to video capture, they are probably stealing sat signals as well.

So, let me get this straight. Someone could pay the PPV price and essentially record the film on say, Tivo or any kind of DVR? If so I am so doing that. (I don't have a DVR but my father just bought one so maybe he could record it for me, I'll pay him back of course).

Also, how does this thwart piracy? If the above works... BAM! Instant piracy of, what I can only assume, is a near/perfect copy.

I'm all for this. It costs me about $50 to take the family to the theater anyway. The screen is really crappy compared to my set at home. oooooo, but the theater is so much bigger! What happens when you enlarge garbage? You get really big garbage. Maybe if there were a digital projector within 100 miles of here, I'd think different about this.

When I view movies at home, there aren't annoying teenagers (or 20-somethings acting like teenagers) making stupid comments through the whole movie, nobody is kicking my seat, and there isn't some tall dude wearing a hat sitting in front of me.

Bring on the PPV movies, I say. Or better yet, bring it out straight to DVD (though I know that would never happen).

NSFolsom said:
So, let me get this straight. Someone could pay the PPV price and essentially record the film on say, Tivo or any kind of DVR? If so I am so doing that. (I don't have a DVR but my father just bought one so maybe he could record it for me, I'll pay him back of course).

Also, how does this thwart piracy? If the above works... BAM! Instant piracy of, what I can only assume, is a near/perfect copy.

Yeah, you should be able to unless they have some mechanism to stop you using the record function for that type of thing (since through the satellite it's digital and whatnot)

But that wouldn't stop you from recording with a DVD recorder or VHS. And I doubt they'd do something to stop you from recording with the DVR anyway.

If this is supposed to prevent piracy then they are out of their mind (again) everything they do to stop piracy only helps it. For instance, they released Spider-Man 3 in China before the rest of the world thinking that that would prevent people from making copies when it first came out. But all that meant was that someone got out a copy of it before it came out elsewere which essentially just gave pirates an earlier date to pirate the movie.

darthviper107 said:
Yeah, you should be able to unless they have some mechanism to stop you using the record function for that type of thing (since through the satellite it's digital and whatnot)

But that wouldn't stop you from recording with a DVD recorder or VHS. And I doubt they'd do something to stop you from recording with the DVR anyway.

If this is supposed to prevent piracy then they are out of their mind (again) everything they do to stop piracy only helps it. For instance, they released Spider-Man 3 in China before the rest of the world thinking that that would prevent people from making copies when it first came out. But all that meant was that someone got out a copy of it before it came out elsewere which essentially just gave pirates an earlier date to pirate the movie.

Also, as someone said at the CHUD message boards, It's as if Parmount/Dreamworks are saying, "Don't buy a bootleg off the street, buy it from us instead."

I'll be keeping my eyes on this that's fo' sho'.

Also, how much do DVRs run these days anyway? I'll be checking... Now that I have a job again. :D

On our Dish Network service we got a DVR receiver that has 100 hours available to record (non-HD) for like $100. Tivo is really great and has lots more options but it costs more.

I am actually all for this idea. Here's why:
1 Movie tickets seem to go up faster than stamps,
2 Half the time the place is too freaking hot,
3 It appears that with the rise of the internet people have lost the social skills necessary to sit in a large group , look at moving pictures on a large screen, and keep their GD mouth shut.

hotels have had this for a while. they typically cost about $12.00 and you have to watch it on a crappy t.v. that's in your room but i'd pay that to watch it in HD on my widescreen lcd at home but not that price they are saying.

Necropost-kitten.jpg

hotels have had this for a while. they typically cost about $12.00 and you have to watch it on a crappy t.v. that's in your room but i'd pay that to watch it in HD on my widescreen lcd at home but not that price they are saying.
My brother and his wife recently stayed at a hotel in S.D. and he said they watched Watchmen and I Love You Man. I'd pay that as well. If you can record the movie for $50 then I'm in for that too, I'll be watching the hell out of it.

Or Babies!!:emperor :D :lol

Or white cellphone screens appearing before your eyes. When theatres say turn off your cellphones, they mean POWER THE ^^^^ERS DOWN ^^^^^ES!

Sorry, I just hate when people think putting your cellphone on silence, yet looking at your screen every 2 minutes to text or download crap is okay. Lamerods!

Or white cellphone screens appearing before your eyes. When theatres say turn off your cellphones, they mean POWER THE ^^^^ERS DOWN ^^^^^ES!

Sorry, I just hate when people think putting your cellphone on silence, yet looking at your screen every 2 minutes to text or download crap is okay. Lamerods!
This is why I feel no remorse when I theatre hop.

I'll stick to the theater. I can go to a matinee for $4 or $5 and do without snacks or sneak my own in. :)

This is why I feel no remorse when I theatre hop.

Going from one theatre to another? That's perfectly fine. If you paid for one movie and there are kids doing that. You definitely should move onto another theatre that is showing the same movie, or even another movie you may like without any of those distractions.

10 bucks for running a movie on a screen isn't cheap.

Last edited:

You know what's worse than this?

NECROPOSTING!

I'll stick to the theater. I can go to a matinee for $4 or $5 and do without snacks or sneak my own in. :)

It's gotten to the point that you don't even have to sneak food into the first or second run theatres. They could careless. It's usually arenas and stadiums that have sporting and concert events that are anal about stuff like that.

Back