Transformers To PPV on 7/3, Same Day As Theaters

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DetroitSportsFan

Super Freak
Reaction score
It looks like the simultaneous theater and pay-per-view releases may start with Transformers on 7/3. Pricey at $49.99, but if the price comes down with time... look out theaters.

https://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=10826

If you’ve been reading the front page, you know that Hollywood has been considering a variety of options to firm up box office revenue and thwart the looming threat of piracy. One of the most controversial is the “premiere” day-and-date release which would see major blockbusters available for cable PPV purchase prices in the $30-$50 range on the same day they come out in theaters. With so many eschewing the increasingly **** theatrical experience for a night at home with the fam and the 50-inch HDTV/surround sound system they just dropped a few grand for, studios are desperate to get their hooks back into this most lucrative of moviegoers. And since a lot of having a pimp home theater is about showing it off to friends and acquaintances, what could be more “hip” than getting a must-see title at home where you don’t have to consider going all Hostel on the group of snotty punks two rows ahead who can’t stop texting for 90 minutes?

The only question is which title is going to kick off this experiment, and the answer isn’t that surprising. It appears that Michael Bay’s Transformers will claim the mantle. According to techie site Uberpulse.com, the film will debut on July 3 on cable PPV for the upper-range price of $49. The story’s short on details beyond that, so I can’t tell you for sure that it will only be “cable” PPV, as opposed to PPV across cable and satellite systems. Still, either scenario would be a groundbreaker, and studios will be watching the returns and response very closely. Also watching will be theater execs, who are appropriately scared at being dealt another blow to their shrinking revenue.

But even if there are snafus (and the one I’m rooting for is a simple labeling mistake to result in Transformers: The Movie being shown instead for the first several thousand orders or so. I believe Justin’s money is on TransAmerica.), this idea will continue to move forward. All these gatekeepers are more panicked by the loss of control than any short-term revenue hits. They’ve been spoiled by nearly a century of being able to dictate how the consumer can buy content, for what price, and how they will be allowed to enjoy their content. Now with the Internet as the great equalizer, that horse is long gone, and it’s going to be a long, messy negotiation between consumers and movie and music studios as to how things are going to be from here. There’s no magical silver bullet that will turn back the clock, and as the music industry is learning the hard way right now, you either get down or lay down.

https://www.uberpulse.com/us/2007/0...iere_on_payperview_same_day_as_box_office.php

UberPulse has learned that, for the first time in Hollywood's history, a local studio, namely Paramount, will release next month's live-action Transformers movie, on cable pay-per-view, the same day it premiere's in US theatres, on July 3rd. But don't hold your breath... the price tag for that special night might deter more than one: $49!

At this price, it makes sense to watch a blockbuster at home instead of going to the theatres, only if you have a really nice home theatre system and invite lots of family and friends. And that's exactly how Hollywood is trying to convince the theatres: that those people, who owns such home theatre systems, are not going to the cinemas anyway.

We have also learned that movie theatres are very reluctant to release that content as they have the right on it for the first six months it is released a.k.a the first window of exclusivity... But the writing is on the wall. So expect more experiments like this one, more often... cheaper... until the death of theatres!

If you invite a bunch of friends over and charge them $10 to see it and include food then it's worth it. Tickets for a group of five would be $50 or more and don't even get me started on the cost of snacks at the theaters!

This could be an awesome idea!

If it's available in HD, I'd bring over a bunch of people and do it. But, is avalable in HD? That'd be a deal breaker right there if it isn't.

For what people spend on snacks at theaters, you can order some pizza or grill up some burgers or get a 6' Sub Sammich and have some beers all in the comfort of your home! :rock

if it's in HD, I'm game. like it was mentioned, invite some friends over and divide up the cost. Awesome! no annoying teenagers. now that would rock!

Hmm. Giant robots smashing each other on a gigiantic screen with true digital 6.1 sound and real movie theater popcorn for $10 or so.... or giant robots smashing each other on a TV with compressed sound and microwave popcorn for 50 bucks.

So hard to decide... :rolleyes:

IrishJedi said:
Hmm. Giant robots smashing each other on a gigiantic screen with true digital 6.1 sound and real movie theater popcorn for $10 or so.... or giant robots smashing each other on a TV with compressed sound and microwave popcorn for 50 bucks.

So hard to decide... :rolleyes:
Hmmmm well lets 6.50 x2 + 6.75 x2 +15.00 (popcorn and drinks combo)+gas= its comes out to about the same.

Viking28 said:
Hmmmm well lets 6.50 x2 + 6.75 x2 +15.00 (popcorn and drinks combo)+gas= its comes out to about the same.

But do you have a theater-sized screen a true 6.1 uncompressed sound in your home? ;)

Viking28 said:

And that is if the price of a movie is still 6.50 in your area. Where I live it seems the cheapest we can get into a theater for is about 8 bucks a ticket.

IrishJedi said:
But do you have a theater-sized screen a true 6.1 uncompressed sound in your home? ;)

Yes, this movie, out of all movies, was MADE to see on a 3 story-tall screen with true 6.1 surround sound. But hey, to each his/her own - I'll be cheering along with hundreds of strangers in a dark room... I love the energy of a theater abuzz with excitement for the movie that's about to play! :chew

IrishJedi said:

Well it actually depends on the movie, this one will be in the theater but...the indie theater I saw Pan's Labyrinth in served beer. Which was nice to have a couple of beers while watching a movie on the big screen. So say a run of the mill comedy I'll probly go for just watching it at home rather than the theater.

IrishJedi said:

Well actually I do. I have an 110 inch screen with an HD projector and 7.1 surround sound so bring it on!

N2Darkness said:
Well actually I do. I have an 110 inch screen with an HD projector and 7.1 surround sound so bring it on!

Loser.

Okay, so I am jealous.

And no you aren't a loser. Just wished that was my setup. But kind of glad I don't have it or else I would never leave the house and the neighbours would hate me!

N2Darkness said:
I did a fairly decent job of sound proofing so the neighbors don't hate me. I don't leave much, my home is my castle.

That's what I fear! Not leaving my house! I been posting more frequently on here cause I been bed ridden.. or is it bed stricken? Eh, anyway been sick all week and I am a physical outdoors person.. hate being held up in my house. Oh well.

But yeah, gotta say I wouldn't mind your setup for watching movies.

Eli26 said:
That's what I fear! Not leaving my house! I been posting more frequently on here cause I been bed ridden.. or is it bed stricken? Eh, anyway been sick all week and I am a physical outdoors person.. hate being held up in my house. Oh well.

But yeah, gotta say I wouldn't mind your setup for watching movies.

just hold your optimus close....OP will make it allll better.

Count me in.

If I TiVo it, and watch it fifty times between now and when the DVD comes out it is more than worth it for me.

There is no doubt I will see this in the theater, but if it is as awesome as Dusty says, I would drop the $50 to watch it over and over and over for the next 6 months!

That would be really cool. I'd pay $50 for a movie that just got released in theaters if it's good quality. I wonder if it'll be cheaper after the first day? And I wonder if it is restricted to only one TV service, I have Dish Network so I hope it would be available on that.

This could mess up some stuff though--first off, internet pirates would instantly have a great copy of the movie without any trouble. Plus it could have a bad effect on ticket sales since you could show it to many people. Plus it could have an effect on DVD sales too (why buy the DVD when you pretty much have the movie already? A lot of people don't actually care about the special features).

It'd be cool to see it being brought to other things too, like the Xbox Live marketplace, or online. But this could changes things a lot.

Back